Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: [v1.1] Doom 64: Retribution

Postby Nevander » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Or just not replace anything and be an additional weapon you can choose to use?
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby scalliano » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

Nevander wrote:There may or may not be new enemies, I only plan to add a Praetor Suit item which is for lore purposes only (will not affect player stats, that's what happens during DOOM 2016 remember?), and if I add any new weapons it would be the cut version of the Unmaker from that old screenshot. However, I will not make it behave like it does in BD64. We already have a laser gun, so instead it might be a Flamethrower or some other damage type not used yet.

I am also considering adding a Nailgun to the episode. I feel like a Nailgun would go really well in the theme of Doom 64, but once again it would only be used in this episode by default and you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

If you do decide to include some new monsters, all of the Absolution TC's enemies (bar the Outcast ones) have already been converted to DECORATE courtesy of Footman, along with D64-ified versions of all of the Skulltag enemies and weapons. If you can't find them out in the wild, PM me.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Nevander » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 am

Version 1.2 is now available! Rejoice in the fade spawns! Hopefully I didn't miss one but if I did please report it and I'll fix it and put out 1.2.1 asap.

Download here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retri ... version-12

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Re: [v1.2] Doom 64: Retribution

Postby tsukiyomaru0 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 am

Could you consider making the maps into a separate file to be used with Gameplay Mods? I'm really digging it, but I kinda wanna use with D4T
tsukiyomaru0

Postby Mikk- » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55298#p978283 This seems to be right up your street
Mikk-
yooooooooooo

Discord: Mikk0451#3922

Postby tsukiyomaru0 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 am

Mikk- wrote:https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55298#p978283 This seems to be right up your street

Oh man, thank you!
tsukiyomaru0

Postby osjclatchford » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 am

Nevander wrote:Version 1.2 is now available! Rejoice in the fade spawns! Hopefully I didn't miss one but if I did please report it and I'll fix it and put out 1.2.1 asap.

Download here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retri ... version-12

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

This just keeps getting better by the minute... Thanks again...
osjclatchford

Postby McConville » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Can anybody tell me the name of the song which is played in the trailer which is linked in the entry post? The title wasn't named in the description of the video.
McConville

Postby Nevander » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Lol did you click Show More? Anyway it's called Pure Evil by Like a Storm. I edited it into an instrumental. Kinda sloppy but that's why I made the trailer the way I did. Died on purpose when the scream comes in and fade to black suddenly when the end part comes.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby isaacpop23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Another patch thing cause I can. Makes the chainsaw take precedence over the fists and removes the "No Auto-switch" quality.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54Px ... VZJYVpNcVk
isaacpop23

Postby Nevander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am

The no auto switch has been removed for 1.3, but I plan to keep the order the same as it's been since 1.0 so this patch can still be used for that.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Nevander » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 pm

So guys I am thinking of adding the reverb effects for 1.3 and just finished going through the originals in Doom Builder 64 to see what sectors get what type of reverb. I discovered that several maps don't even use the echo sounds effects at all, some being MAP01, 02, 04, 05, etc.

Should I add reverbs to these or keep it the way it was in the original and only make reverbs happen on the levels where it was in the original?

One thing though is I am going to have to find a good way to handle them since there are two types of reverbs in Doom 64, echo sounds and heavy echo sounds. Obviously picking a preset reverb isn't the hard part, the hard part is figuring out a way to switch between them in-level. I know the way the PSX Doom TC does it which is to constantly check to see if the player is under the sky or not, then change which sound environment things are activated. This works well until you have somewhere like the outside of Holding Area where there are all those beams over the player. I'm not sure if CheckActorCeilingTexture takes 3D floors above the player into account, but I will need to find a solution for that as well as switching to the heavy echo in the right places.

For that one I might be able to just place a sound environment thing in the general area and then find a line to separate the zone boundary. In fact, this might be feasible on all maps actually, since I think the majority of maps have lines in convenient places to where this will be easy. For maps like MAP16 where there are TONS of different ways to go, I would use PSX Doom TC's approach and just check for the player's current ceiling texture.

Thoughts?

In other news, I am still working on the new maps. Trying to come up with cool ideas. I want ot make every map grand and unique, with each one standing out on it's own and I really want to avoid boring areas and filler maps. Each map will get individual care and attention to make the episode really kick ass, so it will take time.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 am

Nevander wrote:So guys I am thinking of adding the reverb effects for 1.3 and just finished going through the originals in Doom Builder 64 to see what sectors get what type of reverb. I discovered that several maps don't even use the echo sounds effects at all, some being MAP01, 02, 04, 05, etc.

Should I add reverbs to these or keep it the way it was in the original and only make reverbs happen on the levels where it was in the original?

One thing though is I am going to have to find a good way to handle them since there are two types of reverbs in Doom 64, echo sounds and heavy echo sounds. Obviously picking a preset reverb isn't the hard part, the hard part is figuring out a way to switch between them in-level. I know the way the PSX Doom TC does it which is to constantly check to see if the player is under the sky or not, then change which sound environment things are activated. This works well until you have somewhere like the outside of Holding Area where there are all those beams over the player. I'm not sure if CheckActorCeilingTexture takes 3D floors above the player into account, but I will need to find a solution for that as well as switching to the heavy echo in the right places.

For that one I might be able to just place a sound environment thing in the general area and then find a line to separate the zone boundary. In fact, this might be feasible on all maps actually, since I think the majority of maps have lines in convenient places to where this will be easy. For maps like MAP16 where there are TONS of different ways to go, I would use PSX Doom TC's approach and just check for the player's current ceiling texture.

Thoughts?

In other news, I am still working on the new maps. Trying to come up with cool ideas. I want ot make every map grand and unique, with each one standing out on it's own and I really want to avoid boring areas and filler maps. Each map will get individual care and attention to make the episode really kick ass, so it will take time.

that's fine by me. i do have 1 little request/suggestion though. this may take a page from Brutal Doom 64, but i did like how on there, it had the zombiemen & shotgunners have there own sprites. i know this was made to be sorta like the original game, but i hate how they have the same sprites. i think that, whether it's in the next update, or made as a patch by someone. i think having the pistol Zombiemen with actual pistols, and the Shotgunners having there own sprites like the did in Brutal Doom 64 would be a nice touch
MrRumbleRoses

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:10 am

Nevander wrote:So guys I am thinking of adding the reverb effects for 1.3 and just finished going through the originals in Doom Builder 64 to see what sectors get what type of reverb. I discovered that several maps don't even use the echo sounds effects at all, some being MAP01, 02, 04, 05, etc.

My preference would be to start by having it like it was in the original. Then a future enhancement could be an option to have more detailed reverb zones (i.e. use more of the presets instead of just the two basic ones, and use multiple presets per map).

IIRC, the PSX Doom TC also provided a sector tag to make a sky sector have reverb, and another tag to make a non-sky sector not have reverb. I don't know how Doom64 defines when to use which reverb though, so it's difficult to say whether that approach is appropriate or not. Is it set through triggers/line specials/scripts? Is it a sector property?
Chris

Postby Nevander » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 am

The easiest way to handle that would be a simple sprite replacement WAD to load after loading the main mod file. Then the Zombiemen sprites get replaced and nothing else changes. Another but harder way would be to create another CVAR and use that to toggle them in-game.

EDIT: Before I got too far into doing the reverbs (I am up to MAP06), I came up with the idea to make the reverbs a toggleable option. I did this by checking a CVAR and if set to 1 (enable them) the script will activate all sound environment things (tagged 333). If it's set to 0, it does not activate them and instead removes them from the map. Since reverbs remain even after being activated, this means I had to set them to dormant so that all of them can either be turned on or removed by the toggler script. Note that turning them on mid-map will do nothing. A map restart will of course be required.

I did this because there is a reason why i never implemented reverbs until now, and it's that for some reason when sound environment things get activated, they cause some sounds to "pop" at the end of them. A good example that you can hear right now is in the PSX Doom TC. Load up E1M1 and change your screenblocks with + or - or whatever key you have set. Listen close, you'll hear a pop. Also happens when changing options. Shit gets annoying so I thought it would be a good idea to make them to be able to be disabled based on user preference. Any idea why this happens to begin with? Maybe there's a way to stop it. That, and not everyone might like reverbs. They are cool yea, but might get obnoxious after a while and the player might just want some peace and quiet while playing.

I also might possibly integrate another toggle option and CVAR for that pistol zombie thing mentioned above. Once again, will be a user choice.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects