Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
LordMordecai

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Gameplay Video!

Post by LordMordecai »

Nevander wrote:Let's just say that we will all get to experience and fix anything that needs fixing (that I don't end up catching) together. I want it to be a community experience. :wink:
I think this is the best approach. I just can't wait to get my grubby hands on it! :twisted:

Nevander, I noticed you said that you plan on updating the lighting to make it more accurate in a future version 2. Are there plans for GZDoom to support the remaining D64 lighting fields (Floor, Ceiling, and Thing colors?)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Well, if you have the latest dev build of GZDoom and the bugfix fork of GZDB by ZZYZX, it will look like this...
This is only an example...
Attachments
Example...
Example...
LordMordecai

Post by LordMordecai »

Wow. I can't wait to see what sort of use this gets outside of Doom64 mods.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

LordMordecai wrote:Wow. I can't wait to see what sort of use this gets outside of Doom64 mods.
Exactly! That opens up the possibility for a lot more creativity with projects that aim to use cool lighting effects, not to mention more Doom 64 style mods and projects.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

When you say GZDoom did you mean 1.9 GZDoom or the fancy 2.X series ?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

The minimum that I have tested on so far is 2.0.05 which is pretty ancient already. I haven't tried 1.8.6 or in between but they should work. Emphasis on should. As far as I know, I have not used anything that requires the latest and greatest, although some things won't work as intended on old versions such as sectors with multiple tags (only the first tag gets used) and some MAPINFO properties, but the game still runs, it just throws up some warnings about unknown properties.

Once I have made all the major changes, I'll try running it on older versions and report the results.

Do note however that going forward once I can fully integrate Doom 64 lighting properly, it will absolutely require 2.4.0, but you will always have the prior versions of the TC to use on older versions of GZDoom.
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

It's very nice!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Nevander wrote:The minimum that I have tested on so far is 2.0.05 which is pretty ancient already. I haven't tried 1.8.6 or in between but they should work. Emphasis on should. As far as I know, I have not used anything that requires the latest and greatest, although some things won't work as intended on old versions such as sectors with multiple tags (only the first tag gets used) and some MAPINFO properties, but the game still runs, it just throws up some warnings about unknown properties.

Once I have made all the major changes, I'll try running it on older versions and report the results.

Do note however that going forward once I can fully integrate Doom 64 lighting properly, it will absolutely require 2.4.0, but you will always have the prior versions of the TC to use on older versions of GZDoom.
Remember that image that I posted? That was GZDoom dev build from Feb 17 :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

The end of March is drawing near. Is everything going according to plan?
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I think if the mod author had an update, he would've posted it by now.
Edit: That goes for every other post like Johnny's.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

It's better to give him time to polish all the details that he needs and one of these days, he will give us a pleasant surprise :)
Last edited by leodoom85 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Don't worry guys, we are on schedule. Putting in the last finishing touches and polish that I can find, I already found and fixed lots of bugs both minor and major. Some maps were even unfinishable due to multiple sector tags and only the first one being used in older versions of GZDoom. All of these spots should be fixed now.

The next update will be the first release. :)

Although there's no way I will be able to finish my new maps before release. I do have lots of ideas and hope to make each map grand and intricate to the extent that they all stand out and none of them are boring. This equates to time.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

leodoom85 wrote:It's better to give him time to polish all the details that he needs and one of this days, he will give us a pleasant surprise :)
Oh, I agree. It is just that I noticed there has not been an update in about a month or so and I was wondering about the mod's status.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:It's better to give him time to polish all the details that he needs and one of this days, he will give us a pleasant surprise :)
Oh, I agree. It is just that I noticed there has not been an update in about a month or so and I was wondering about the mod's status.
Even still, I really dislike seeing a "stale" thread suddenly popping back to life because someone asked "so uhhh any updates?" with nothing further to add. The mod author is by no means obligated to update the thread, and all bumping it accomplishes is confusing or irritating the people who thought the author actually had posted an update. Some would say to keep those questions to PM, but speaking as an author who has received at least a few such PMs, I don't really like that very much either. Basically, if it's going to come out, just let it come out instead of trying to urge the process along. If it's not, then oh well.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Okay guys! We are in business.

Just put everything together and I have a playable, finished state of the TC. Everything works for me perfectly in 2.0.05. I haven't gotten to testing 1.8.6 but I hope to do it later today. There are a couple very minor issues which I can't fix no matter what I do, which will be described in the readme file.

The final size of the mod by itself uncompressed is a mere 35 MB. If you add the Doom 64 soundfont (which is required for MIDI playback, and is also how I was able to save so much space) the final size together once again uncompressed comes to 40.3 MB!

Haven't zipped it yet to see the compressed size since I am holding off for last minute adjustments.

I hope to make a launch trailer of sorts and have it ready by release.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”