Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by hoover1979 »

I can confirm on my end I do need to strafe-run to get accross the pillars to get to the first secret level. I tried many times as just running and I always fell short of the first pillar, strafe jumping got me accross, but I had to have a few attempts as it is a chore (but not impossible) to strafe run that distance with an XBONE Controller.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

whatup876 wrote:Could you give us a sneak peek?
At least just a tiny one?
Hopefully I can post a couple screenshots from some maps in the next day or so. Really busy trying to get them done right now, working on Nebula now. I still have 3 maps from Outcast to basically rebuild though (the 3 unfinished maps from Kaiser included in the original TC).
hoover1979 wrote:I can confirm on my end I do need to strafe-run to get across the pillars to get to the first secret level. I tried many times as just running and I always fell short of the first pillar, strafe jumping got me across, but I had to have a few attempts as it is a chore (but not impossible) to strafe run that distance with an XBONE Controller.
Yea unfortunately the change to gravity and speed in 1.1 made it impossible to make that gap without a tiny strafe run. I will fix it for 1.4 so you don't need to strafe run. I just need to add about 8 more units or so to that alcove for more running start speed.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Thanks dude!
user19284

Post by user19284 »

Hey!
looking at the WAD at Slade, i can see that maps 25,26,27,33,34 aren't reachable within the MAPINFO lump, means throughout the game the player won't be able to enter them.
OP, can you explain why?
Korell

Post by Korell »

orbittwz wrote:Hey!
looking at the WAD at Slade, i can see that maps 25,26,27,33,34 aren't reachable within the MAPINFO lump, means throughout the game the player won't be able to enter them.
OP, can you explain why?
Well, if the same map numbers are used for Doom 64 Retribution as the original Doom 64, then maps 25, 26 and 27 aren't accessed via normal gameplay which is why they wouldn't be reachable within the MAPINFO lump.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_64
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP25:_Cat_A ... _(Doom_64)
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP26:_Hardcore_(Doom_64)
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP27:_Playground_(Doom_64)

I'm not sure about 33 and 34 without going and having a look, but they seem to be additional maps, so it may be that they are in the same boat as maps 25, 26 and 27 and are accessed differently.
user19284

Post by user19284 »

@Korell, if you take a look in the MAPINFO, there's a second episode called FUN, and after the map FUN00 is map 25, but FUN00 don't next you to this level.
maybe the author meant to enter the player to map25 but left it out?? becasue those lost maps are in the FUN BONUS LEVELS section...

EDIT: i can edit this MAPINFO and make sure i play all the levels, FUN00 to MAP25 --> 26 --> 27 --> 33 --> 34 --> end, no?

EDIT2: fixed MAPINFO, now all maps are playable!! link: REMOVED
just download the fixed MAPINFO and paste the text instead of the text in the actual LUMP called MAPINFO in the WAD file.
i will test it out by actually playing the WAD from the beginning.
cheers

EDIT3: my bad, the MAPINFO is fine
Last edited by user19284 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

orbittwz wrote:@Korell, if you take a look in the MAPINFO, there's a second episode called FUN, and after the map FUN00 is map 25, but FUN00 don't next you to this level.
maybe the author meant to enter the player to map25 but left it out?? becasue those lost maps are in the FUN BONUS LEVELS section...

EDIT: i can edit this MAPINFO and make sure i play all the levels, FUN00 to MAP25 --> 26 --> 27 --> 33 --> 34 --> end, no?

EDIT2: fixed MAPINFO, now all maps are playable!! link: http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/OWRJ1ugj/file.html
just download the fixed MAPINFO and paste the text instead of the text in the actual LUMP called MAPINFO in the WAD file.
i will test it out by actually playing the WAD from the beginning.
cheers
I've no idea what the issue is here. I've made no changes to the Doom 64 Retribution MAPINFO and when I start the the fun levels, FUN00 is a hub area where you can choose which level to play. Going through the Cat and Mouse door takes you to MAP25. So I can't see anything wrong that needs fixing. When you finish a fun level you go back to the hub (FUN00) where you can then choose a different one. So all maps are playable anyway with no need to modify the provided MAPINFO.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

orbittwz wrote:Hey!
OP, can you explain why?
They are all playable through the Bonus Fun Map selection hub by choosing the Bonus Fun Maps episode. These maps had to be accessed through a cheat menu originally, but since GZDoom cannot do such a thing, I made them into a hub.
orbittwz wrote:@Korell, if you take a look in the MAPINFO, there's a second episode called FUN, and after the map FUN00 is map 25, but FUN00 don't next you to this level.

FUN00 (the hub) is not meant to go anywhere in the MAPINFO. Exiting the level returns you to the TITLEMAP. The five teleporters load those maps depending on your choice. I'm really not sure what the issue is unless you are somehow not accessing the hub map.
user19284

Post by user19284 »

Oh, i see... my bad then... i didn't know this map FUN00 is a HUB for all the missing maps i wrote.
Thank you for the kind answers.
Reverting...
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

Speaking of which... It was due to this mod I found out that the Cyberdemon is more powerful than the Motherdemon. I loved the Testing area fun map you made Nevander. Thank you for that! Keep up the great work.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

SoulCircle wrote:due to this mod I found out that the Cyberdemon is more powerful than the Motherdemon
I'm not exactly sure if that's right though. In the Absolution TC, the Mother Demon is actually able to defeat Cyberdemons but that could be due to the different way it attacks in that TC. I suppose I could spawn them both together in EX and see which one wins on an average. Who hits who first might play a role as well.
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

Yeah, I was thinking about it... The Cyberdemon is not susceptible to splash damage while the Motherdemon is if I remember correctly, so this may have something to do with it.
DoomSlayer88

Post by DoomSlayer88 »

Does anyone know what do I have to do to make the music plays correctly on a MacOS? :(
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Set MIDI Device to FluidSynth in Sound Options. Set FluidSynth Patch Set to full path to DOOMSND.SF2 file in Sound Options -> Advanced Options.
It's easier to set fluid_patchset CVAR in console because you can paste the path there.

This is applicable if you use the latest stable version. Previous ones may or may not work.
For example, 2.2.0 (and probably other 2.x I don't remember for sure) requires external FluidSynth library.
DoomSlayer88

Post by DoomSlayer88 »

But where do I have to put DOOMSND.SF2 - libfluidsynth.dll/libfluidsynth64.dll ?
I´m new in this type of things :/

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”