Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
SamVision

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by SamVision »

How were you able to get the Unmaker to work just like its original counterpart? I attempted it and failed because ZDoom lacked hitscan tracers at the time. Though I did not use ACS, however that helps.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Atendega wrote:You advertise faithfulness to the original game as the main selling point, so I'm a bit concerned about this:
Nevander wrote: [*]Fully revamped arsenal to include smoother firing animations from Cage
[*]Only minor fixes made to maps (small things that improve the original maps visually or otherwise, but don't worry the maps will not deviate from the originals)
[*]Reward for completing Hectic is a Megasphere (what you would get from the death traps) and some early cells
It seems like you're making quite a few subjective, opinion-based "improvements". I hope that these will be optional.
For the second point, there are things on the original maps that keeping would be authentic but would also be keeping a problem that the original had. I care about faithfulness a great deal, but I don't know if I care enough to even keep the old bugs and things they obviously had wrong with them due to engine limitations. For Hectic's reward, I can't reward the player with a features menu because such options are already accessible via console commands. Not much else to be done unless you want no reward at all.
zrrion the insect wrote:the improved weapon animations should absolutely be toggle-able, but that sort of thing is pretty easy so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Added to the to-do list. I think by default they will use the new animations (because I think they are quite the improvement) and classic animations will be a toggle. This really only applies to the Shotgun, Super Shotgun, and Plasma Rifle since the others are the same only smoother.

EDIT: Got it all set up now, you can change an option in the menu now to toggle classic animations or use the smoother defaults. I still need to write the DECORATE states (luckily only the firing animations are any different) and then it will be all set. You can also change it directly with the cvar "d64_classicanims" set to "1".

EDIT 2: Got the Pistol and Plasma Rifle's vanilla firing animations working. The more I think about it and do this stuff the more I think I should have done this earlier. The original animations while simple do have a certain satisfaction to them. My favorite is the standard Shotgun. Just seeing it move up and your screen pitch change you can almost feel it has more power than when you pump it, even with the same pitch change.
SamVision wrote:How were you able to get the Unmaker to work just like its original counterpart? I attempted it and failed because ZDoom lacked hitscan tracers at the time. Though I did not use ACS, however that helps.
Well actually, I should probably reword that part. The weapon functions identical to the original, but the projectile that is fired is a bit different. Granted, I'm not completely done tweaking it, but it basically fires a small projectile that spawns a crap load of other projectiles directly behind it so it looks like they are connected. It still looks a little odd from a side view and I'm sure it can be improved. That's on the to-do list.
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

I'm looking forward to this!
Good luck!
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

He specifically states some of the hacks he's replacing, but in this one case he just says "minor fixes" that "improve the original maps visually or otherwise". I'd kind of like to know what those "minor fixes" entail.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Atendega wrote:He specifically states some of the hacks he's replacing, but in this one case he just says "minor fixes" that "improve the original maps visually or otherwise". I'd kind of like to know what those "minor fixes" entail.
Unaligned textures, mismatched textures, lines that should be blocking but aren't, stuff like that. If you think that the maps are being changed then think again, they are not. They are being improved from the originals only to the extent that they fix what the originals should have had done right to begin with.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

Alright, that's reassuring, I suppose. Make no mistake, I'm super excited about this :D
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I want to see this project too, now that it'll be properly powered by the GZDoom engine...
:)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Just a heads up if the maps don't have the right lighting when this first comes out don't worry, the correct lighting and colors will be fixed and updated in due time. With the current situation of Doom 64 lighting in GZDoom, it's not perfect yet and not fully integrated into GZDB. I plan to properly address this and properly apply the correct exact color lighting in the near future when it permits. I may consider it to be the 2.0 version update. Obviously it releases as 1.0 and any bugs or small fixes will make it 1.1, 1.2 and so on. 2.0 will be the first major update which I plan and hope to contain the right lighting effects.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I have just completed going through all the maps a second time for polish and such. Now I am moving on to getting weapon, monster, and item behavior polished up. Then, since I have extra time, will begin the new episode's maps. I might be able to finish them all before release and actually have the new episode ready for version 1's release. Nine maps in a little under two months? I can at least make a dent anyway.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Nevander wrote:I have just completed going through all the maps a second time for polish and such. Now I am moving on to getting weapon, monster, and item behavior polished up. Then, since I have extra time, will begin the new episode's maps. I might be able to finish them all before release and actually have the new episode ready for version 1's release. Nine maps in a little under two months? I can at least make a dent anyway.
Take your time to polish the rest and good luck for the extra maps. :)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

leodoom85 wrote:Take your time to polish the rest and good luck for the extra maps. :)
Thanks, here's to hoping I don't get mapper's block. :cheers:
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

An idea for one of your new maps,how about a map with lots of tight rooms,it would be a map that give the feeling of claustrophobia if you see what i mean,what do you think about that ?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

This is looking good can't wait to play it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Gameplay video added to OP!
leodoom85

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Gameplay Video!

Post by leodoom85 »

Good gameplay btw (although it was on Normal difficulty :p).
Also the second OP weapon is the super shotgun IMO. Fast reload, less spread... and the stage looks much better with the dyn lights.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”