Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
_mental_

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by _mental_ »

It doesn’t matter where you will put DOOMSND.SF2 as it will be referenced via full path. In the same folder with .wad will be fine.
DLLs are for Windows only and macOS version doesn’t need them at all.
DoomSlayer88

Post by DoomSlayer88 »

Thank you...
Thank you so much bro.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am currently replaying Retribution, but I am having a hard time getting all the secrets in MAP30: The Lair.

I got the Demonic Rune, the Mega Armour and the Berserk Pack, but the game is telling me I am still one secret short. What am I missing?

EDIT: The same goes for MAP13: Dark Citadel. I can only find three secrets out of four.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

For The Lair, make sure you run through both wood windows in the area where the artifact is. You are missing the Plasma Rifle.

On Dark Citadel, the four secrets are the health bonus bookshelves (1), the corner wall that lowers to supplies (2), the wall that opens leading to the BFG and megasphere near the rocket launcher (3) and finally the hidden alcove with a soulsphere and a Nightmare imp (4).
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Thanks, but where is that hidden alcove with the Soulsphere located in MAP13?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

It's right along the main path towards the blue key dart room. A Nightmare Imp will come out of it when you walk by.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I must have killed the Nightmare Imp without noticing it coming out of the alcove.

Anyway, I have finally beaten Doom 64 for the first time and I did it with your mod, so thank you! I have to say, though: I am not sure I understand why three maps were excluded of the campaign. I mean, I get that they are a bit too experimental, but seeing how the developers had the space for those, I cannot help but wonder why they did not use it to make the campaign longer.

All in all, it was good, although a bit underwhelming in places. I have to decide where I would rank it compared to other official Classic Doom mapsets. I am looking forward the expansions! :D
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I'm not sure why they made those bonus levels either. Like you said, since those levels exist, they did have room for 32 (technically 33) levels on the cartridge. Maybe they just wanted to make really hard challenge maps and didn't want to force players to do them in the main level set? I'm going with that one.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Have you considered altering MAP24: No Escape to give it a proper exit switch rather than just having it end automatically once you have slain the last Cyberdemon? Since it is not the last level, it does not make sense to prevent the player from finding remaining secrets and stocking up on health, armour and ammunition after the fight.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I actually already made that change for 1.4 :)

After killing the last Cyberdemon, the exit will be revealed behind where the Cyberdemons spawn.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

as much as i liked BD64, this is now my go to version by far. Its exactly like I remember it as a kid.

It also plays surprisingly nicely with most weapons mods and monster mods I've tried, only causing a few issues I can patch out :D
SNEAKY

Post by SNEAKY »

I have an interesting question about your Wad. Will there be any plans on adding monsters and items from the Doom Absolution TC's exclusive add-on called the "Outcast Levels"? Sorry if you find this difficult to understand but Keep up the great your on your project though. I loved it.:D
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Eventually I probably will, but as of now they are not priority. I want to get more maps done and put out all new maps first since that was actually sort of the original goal of the project (to have a new Doom 64 episode).
SNEAKY

Post by SNEAKY »

Nevander wrote:Eventually I probably will, but as of now they are not priority. I want to get more maps done and put out all new maps first since that was actually sort of the original goal of the project (to have a new Doom 64 episode).
Sweet. I'm looking forward to that. But I was wondering if it's OK that I can help you or at least fine if I can make addons based on the Outcast for your project after your new episode is finished & released? Sorry that you either don't know that much about what I'm talking about and find this complicated but I still loved your "DOOM 64 Retribution" mod and looking forward to your furture updates
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

If you are asking if you can create addons for Retribution, by all means do it! More mods for my mod is what I want to see happen over time. So far we have only 1, a new Zombieman sprite set that holds a rifle.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”