GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix, a maintenance fork of GZDB

Post by Kappes Buur »

TheMafla wrote:I have a question, can I play with Doom 64-like colors through ACS? I've been searching for something on the ZDoom wiki and I can't find anything.
In DiHF you can use
212:Sector_SetColor (tag, r, g, b, desat)
213:Sector_SetFade (tag, r, g, b)
157:SetGlobalFogParameter (property, value)
SetFogDensity

In my previous answers to your help question I posted an image of the
colour settings in UDMF, which shows that you can do this directly.
TheMafla

Post by TheMafla »

That does not answer my question, I know that in UDMF you can define the colors right there, but I speak of Doom 64 colors, and if, for example, I want to change the color only of the floor or the ceiling or the walls when crossing a line or something like that? Oh, and another thing, in ACS, how can I make a smooth color appear or fade in a sector?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

TheMafla wrote:.... , but I speak of Doom 64 colors, ....
Well, so was I, let me highlight that section with colours
Spoiler:
TheMafla wrote:.... and if, for example, I want to change the color only of the floor or the ceiling or the walls when crossing a line or something like that? ....
Most likely that is not possible, at least I was not able to change the colour of floor/ceiling/wall only, with a script. I see no specials or functions to allow that. Maybe Zscript could do this ?
TheMafla wrote:.... Oh, and another thing, in ACS, how can I make a smooth color appear or fade in a sector?
Use r, g, b as variables and in a loop change the values for colours and/or fades.

Construct a simple map and just try it out.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mostly out of interest, is there any function that con split a sector? By that, I basically mean the opposite of selecting a bunch of sectors and pressing J.

e.g. Imagine there is a map with a sector that has been split multiple times and it is scattered all over the map. Moving the sector with "merge dragged geometry" active will split up the sector into any individual bits that are completely surrounded by lines. What I'm asking is, is there any way to do that without having to move the sector or the map geometry in any way?
boris

Post by boris »

Make Sectors Mode. Default hotkey is M.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you once again.

That's a really useful little mode that I had just kind of dismissed as probably just another way of drawing sectors. Although it isn't quite the "magic button" that would separate every part of a split sector into a new sector of its own that I was looking for (unless I missed that option), it is a more flexible and very useful tool. Most of the time, I suspect it would be far more useful than what I was asking for.

However, unless the "magic button" that I was looking for exists somewhere, it does mean that doing what I was trying to do can be a little difficult. What was I trying to do? I had a map that, many years ago, I had used DeePSea's "pack sectors" option (merges all identical sectors in a map into big split sectors - mostly to try and save disk space, back when that was an issue - but actually, not a very good idea in practice). I wanted to separate some of these merged sectors because I was having difficulty splitting the map up using sound blocking lines. So, I used make sectors mode but I still couldn't isolate one particular area as a separate sound area. Eventually I found a tiny, almost invisible part of a split sector that was allowing sound to leak through. Once I found that, I was able to make it a sector of its own and the whole area became an isolated sound section - but I had to stare at the map for ages to find it.

I appreciate that's a relatively minor-use edge case and, 99% of the time, make sectors mode is a brilliant tool, very useful, very flexible and easy to use. So, I'm not complaining. I can see me making extensive use of the mode in future now that I know what it does. :)
TheMafla

Post by TheMafla »

By the way, isn't there a thread only where suggestions are given to the editor? there are a couple of things that I would like to give as a suggestion
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's best to do that on the github page. The link for bugs and proposals is in the first post of this thread.
boris

Post by boris »

Of course you can also discuss suggestions in this thread here, but without opening an issue on the GitHub page they are likely to be forgotten.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just out of interest, is it possible to write a config file where the same thing, with the same ednum shows a different sprite depending on how one of its args are set.

To be more specific, I have a simple decoration (a chair) where I have set up its DECORATE so that the item can take a value for its first argument. Depending on the argument, the item will jump to different states - the effect of which is to have different coloured chairs simply set by how I set the argument.

I've got all that working in my project's things config, but I just wondered if there was a way to specify "if arg0=0 use this sprite, if arg0=1 use that sprite" etc. That way I could tell at a glance which colour I had set the chair to be rather than having to check the values.

I realise it's a very niche use, so this isn't a feature request because I'm sure that it wouldn't be worth anyone's time adding it for just this but if it's already possible for some reason I'd be keen to know how to do it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Returning to the editor after testing a map (using F9), I got this:

Code: Select all

CompilationException while loading effect display2d.fx: SlimDX.CompilationException ---> SlimDX.Direct3D9.Direct3D9Exception: E_OUTOFMEMORY: Ran out of memory (-2147024882)
   at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
   at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
   at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
   at SlimDX.CompilationException.Check[T](Int32 hr, String errors)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SlimDX.Direct3D9.Effect.FromMemory(Device device, Byte[] memory, Macro[] preprocessorDefines, Include includeFile, String skipConstants, ShaderFlags flags, EffectPool pool, String& compilationErrors)
   at SlimDX.Direct3D9.Effect.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream, Macro[] preprocessorDefines, Include includeFile, String skipConstants, ShaderFlags flags, EffectPool pool, String& compilationErrors)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Rendering.D3DShader.LoadEffect(String fxfile) in C:\Daten\Programmieren\Projekte\GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix\Source\Core\Rendering\D3DShader.cs:line 118
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Launcher.ProcessOnExited(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Daten\Programmieren\Projekte\GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix\Source\Core\General\Launcher.cs:line 409
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.OnExited()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.RaiseOnExited()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.CompletionCallback(Object context, Boolean wasSignaled)
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.WaitOrTimerCallback_Context(Object state, Boolean timedOut)
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.WaitOrTimerCallback_Context_f(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.PerformWaitOrTimerCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)
Looks like it might be an out of memory problem again. Probably relevant: I'm using the 32 bit version because of the sprite display problem that I have experienced in the 64 bit version (already discussed).
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Enjay wrote:Returning to the editor after testing a map (using F9), I got this:
Obviously a Slim.DX problem.
I just wonder if you really are out of memory.
What does the Resource Manager have to say? For example:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/TSPgtxf[/imgur]

[edit]
Since you mentioned going from the 64bit version to the 32bit version,
do you have the 32bit version of Slim.DX installed?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The issue hasn't happened again today, although a slightly different looking crash happened on returning from testing a different time. Unfortunately, I clicked the wrong button, so I didn't copy the error dump.

Resource Monitor currently looks like this:

I haven't actually restarted since the crash.

Pretty sure that I have the correct version of SlimDX installed.

FWiW, I went from GZDB32 to GZDB64, found some problems and so went back to 32 bit for the moment.

In other news, I just wanted to check whether this problem is known about (I think it is, but if not, I'll post on github).

Complicated slopes using things don't render properly in Visual mode.

Here are some screenshots using a UDMF converted version of Randi's original slopes demo wad. I converted it to UDMF because I was using some very similar constructs in a UDMF map of my own when I noticed the problem. The UDMF version shows slightly more weirdness than the Hexen version in visual mode, but neither work properly.

In game, it looks fine:

When first going into visual mode, the UDMF version looks like this:

I am aware that there is also an issue with slopes that copy their plane from another slope and that hitting tab twice to disable and re-enable enhanced mode fixes things, but in this case it makes it weirder.

I think this one looks right:

But the others, not so much

Original (Hexen format) file:
https://zdoom.org/files/examples/slopes2.zip

UDMF Conversion:
http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... esUDMF.zip
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Slopes.wad in GZDBBF works and looks like that for me as well, both in DiHF and UDMF.

Except for the crashes, knock on wood :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A handful of questions if I may:

Where exactly does GZDB look for #included files when running ACC?
I'm using the ZDoom ACC and unless I use a full path name to the #included file, ACC can't find it ("Unable to find include file [insert file name here]". I have put the file in the same folder as zcommon.acs, my testing folder, my local gzdoom preferences folder, the root GZDB folder and anywhere else that I could think of. Nothing worked except a full, explicit path - which makes the map less portable if I move things around on my HD.

(Perhaps not GZDB related) Why is it not possible to set the brightness of a sidedef top, middle and bottom separately? As far as I can see, it's all or nothing. Can the engine or UDMF not support this? Maybe I just missed something?

Is is possible to specify which side to search for when looking for a texture? I was looking for some particular instances of LITE3 that I knew were on the back upper side of a line. I could refine my search to upper sides only, but not upper-back only. So, I still had to scroll through a couple of hundred hits to find the few on the back of the line that I was looking for. Have I missed an option somewhere?

And finally, what's the best way to Y-align a bunch of unconnected (and possibly different) textures? The standard alignment tools are good at doing adjacent textures but what if I had, say, a bunch of SUPPORT2 textures scattered all around a big room with varied ceiling heights. Can I select them all, hit a magic button and have them all Y-align the same? Or what about a bunch of similar but not identical textures scattered in a similar way?

Thanks. :)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”