D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) Akimbo Update Pt 1

Post by Major Cooke »

Anyone can do it using anything from D4D if they want (assuming people don't feel like they're /wristing themselves from trying to read my fugly code :P).

But I do not have time, interest, or patience. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy when it comes to making gameplay mods. Hence why I do things like this, AEons of Death and Doomwinia because it's all about altering more than just the monsters.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) New Forums!

Post by Major Cooke »

We now have a new home base for keeping track of things much more in depth. If you'd like, head on over there and register. It's still in progress though so things may seem a little incomplete.
-----
Seeing as Neccronixis is no longer reachable, I cannot get the handless versions of those sprites anymore -- he deleted his forum account unfortunately.

I'm contacting FrancoTieppo about his weapons now. If all goes well, provided some heavy duty sprite editing, I'll be able to implement handless versions at last for the akimbo system.

However, my time is a bit short at the moment. If I manage to acquire the sprites, help with editing them would be very much appreciated as there will be lots of them.
snackerfork

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) New Forums! p.35

Post by snackerfork »

Howdy! I noticed that the High Frequency patch for D4D didn't work anymore, but I really liked the idea of the Gore Nest and Field Drone features it added. So I made a patch file that readds those features to D4D while also integrating them better with D4D. Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36UuN ... sp=sharing

It requires the Doom 4 Addons file and your load order should have D4DAddonsPatch.pk3 after that file. Also, make sure you have the Arachnotron and Pain Elemental spawning Gore Nest cvars disabled - they'll spawn Addon style Gore Nests so they won't work right.

The changes I've made to the original HF mod are that Gore Nests are twice as likely to spawn on skull keys, instead of having a small chance. Also, Field Drones have a 50% chance to drop an upgrade in both Credits and Crates mode. The Crates mode is also fully compatible and will spawn the correct amount of crates rather than 250.

Hopefully this tides people over until the High Frequency mod can be updated!
Last edited by snackerfork on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Please bear in mind, those are only for 2.0.3. Do not attempt to load them with the v3 alphas. I take no responsibility for any/all issues caused as a result.

However I may outright merge many of the addons into D4D itself once I acquire permission. I've been contemplating on that for a while, save for my own two. It'd do great justice to have more folks developing D4D together with me.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Testing it with both the Bleeding Edge and the Alpha versions in the OP, it seems to work fine. I summoned both the Gore Nests and the Field Drones and they worked correctly with no apparent major bugs. Of course, I should have mentioned this, but the Addon mod itself won't work out of the box - I had to go into Slade and remove a lot of the incompatible changes that the Doom 4 Addon mod added, like many of the altered monsters and their sprites (the Demon and the Hell Razer in particular don't work due to altered sprites and behavior). But, if you do that, it should work.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to patch it so that the incompatible versions are automatically replaced with working versions with correct sprites, so you have to do it manually - I didn't want to upload my altered Addons file and steal someone else's work.

Also, I forgot to mention: you can now activate Field Drones with the Use key as intended. They work the same as Gore Nests (an animation will play of you punching it), but you can also shoot them as before.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing those mods integrated officially! I think the Gore Nests in particular are genius and I'd love to see the new weapons, Praetor tokens, and Elite Guards from HF added.

ETA: Well, I figured out how to patch the Addons file to use the correct behaviors and sprites! Now the correct version of changed enemies will spawn, but the Addon versions of the Arachnotron and the Revenant will still work. Also, there's a new option for Hell Knight spawns - you can now use the Melee, Classic, or current version of D4D HKs, as well as a random choice between all three. Altogether that means the Addons file should be fully compatible with the current versions using this patch.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, I took one look at the mod and saw it was still in ACS and Decorate. Both of which I intend to fully deprecate by the time V3's release is out (the latter already finished), along with anything relying upon cvars for upgrades (that part I forgot to check).

This honestly feels like one of the things that'll be worth reworking into the mod directly using ZScript. My github is open for pull requests and you're more than free to work with it. I've been developing an experimental API for monster replacements, but be wary of the Rainbow Doom(4) mode. If you have custom translations of monsters over the current sprites D4D uses, the translations will be overridden -- not a real deal breaker by any means, but still worth noting.

If you would like some help, hop on our Discord server -- link's on the OP. I could use some feedback on it at any rate.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'm going to include the rest grenades and weapons from Doom 4's multiplayer. But unlike Nightmare mode, you will not start out with all of them -- only the original three. The rest must be found.

There will also be individual grenade upgrades for each, one or two at the most. Some might not even have any upgrades.

So, who'd like to do a bit of sprite work for the grenades?
MrRumbleRoses

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) GRENADES! p.35

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

how many grenades are there? i'd assume what D4T uses right?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I don't know how they work in D4T. Never tried the mod to be honest. I'll just be going more so off of what videos I can find for Doom 4 Multiplayer.

There's the single player variants and the multiplayer variants: the tesla rocket, personal teleporter and shield wall.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Major Cooke wrote:I don't know how they work in D4T. Never tried the mod to be honest. I'll just be going more so off of what videos I can find for Doom 4 Multiplayer.

There's the single player variants and the multiplayer variants: the tesla rocket, personal teleporter and shield wall.
do you mean like how they work? cause i could perhaps explain things
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

No need. I'll watch them on youtube.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Major Cooke wrote:No need. I'll watch them on youtube.
well i play D4T a lot, but ok i guess
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Major Cooke wrote:Yeah, I took one look at the mod and saw it was still in ACS and Decorate. Both of which I intend to fully deprecate by the time V3's release is out (the latter already finished), along with anything relying upon cvars for upgrades (that part I forgot to check).

This honestly feels like one of the things that'll be worth reworking into the mod directly using ZScript. My github is open for pull requests and you're more than free to work with it. I've been developing an experimental API for monster replacements, but be wary of the Rainbow Doom(4) mode. If you have custom translations of monsters over the current sprites D4D uses, the translations will be overridden -- not a real deal breaker by any means, but still worth noting.

If you would like some help, hop on our Discord server -- link's on the OP. I could use some feedback on it at any rate.
Oh, well, I appreciate the offer, but to be honest, I don't really know anything about working in ZScript - I barely know how to use ACS and Decorate and mostly just modify what other people have already made. If you can get permission from the original creators of those mods though, I can definitely try my hand at it and see if I can help!

I'm curious though - why do you want to move to using ZScript exclusively?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

MrRumbleRoses wrote: well i play D4T a lot, but ok i guess
Doom 4, not D4T. D4T cuts out many effects for example, for the sake of preserving phone battery life.
snackerfork wrote:Oh, well, I appreciate the offer, but to be honest, I don't really know anything about working in ZScript - I barely know how to use ACS and Decorate and mostly just modify what other people have already made. If you can get permission from the original creators of those mods though, I can definitely try my hand at it and see if I can help!

I'm curious though - why do you want to move to using ZScript exclusively?
I'll definitely be looking to get their permissions.

The biggest reason I go for ZScript is simple: intermod compatibility. I can now detect if certain actors are defined or not and make appropriate decisions based on that. Say for example some addon has a class SpecialDoomImp. I can now check that easily instead of having D4D itself puking errors about missing classes (possibly failing to start). Hell, some of the advanced functionality has made my life so much easier and allowed far greater code density reduction. I'm all for code cleanliness and making it as readable as possible too, which ZScript allows for much more than DECORATE.

Also I've lost touch with DECORATE since I haven't used it in so long, that I can't help but put semicolons after EVERYTHING now. You can continue doing things in the DECORATE way via ZScript easily enough though, it's pretty simple. Plus, it actually moves towards learning actual programming.

Ultimately, I can finally be rid of having to intermingle ACS and Decorate together. That has been my biggest source of frustration. Also I can access properties that aren't originally available via DECORATE like class-specific variables instead of wasting time with inventory hacks.

Also in case if you didn't know it, Vice's lance and his doom doll icons are in D4D already, fully merged.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Interesting! I'll try to learn it then.

Also, I want to ask - will the Doom 4 music addon ever be made compatible with the current version? I really like that mod but in the current version, it disables the Crates mode for... some reason.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”