D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) Akimbo Update Pt 1

Post by Major Cooke »

@Rumble: Bleeding Edge.

@SeriousWeasle: Not only that, but apparently I accidentally changed the pistol release mechanism by mistake. Will fix.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Pistol fixed. Gauss cannon also fixed, you can now hold the primary fire key and it'll continuously fire again.

In other news, Hege Cactus has granted me permission to use the core concept/base idea behind Colorful Hell for D4D. You can expect a variation of colorful D4D monsters coming soon to accompany the akimbo updates.

Don't worry, you'll be able to toggle them on and off with the monster slider that determines whether to use the current D4D monsters or classic ones. This will only be for D4D monsters for the time being, though.

I can see it now. White level zombiemen with siege mode gauss cannons. Holy shit. (That's just an idea, it probably won't come to that.)
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

All monsters outside of D4D can now drop pinatas and give credits. It's still a bit of a prototype, though. I just need to make a couple more changes and then I can publicly post how to add credits to your own monsters without requiring patching the actors at all.

It will require ZScript but I'll provide a template -- all you'll have to do is adjust a couple things but that'll be it. Stay tuned.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Sounds awesome! Can't wait... :D
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i think 1 idea is for the pistol. and that's to make it to where u can hold down the firing button, instead of having to rapid tap the thing. specially best to use that for the akimbo update to the mod
ArchonDoesStuff

Post by ArchonDoesStuff »

So I'm running this on the June 9th x64 build of GZDoom and I thought I'd give some bug reports/feedback. I'm using the Addon pack as well as Maps of Chaos.

1: Pinkes are huggggeee unless charging.
2:On 16:9 1080p a lot of the circles are very off center.
3: Credit text is unreadable
4: Music does not play at the end of a stage

Some feedback:

1: Soldiers should look more like their Doom 4 Pig-like counterparts
2: Imps should crawl on walls
3: I prefer the third person glory kills from BD, or just add more glory kills.

There's probably more I could complain about but I don't remember right now. Cheers on making such a great mod.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Rumble, I've repaired the pistol so when not in akimbo mode, it releases when you stop holding secondary -- as it was before I began the akimbo update.
You can only autofire when you purchase the automatic trigger upgrade.

Anyway, responses in red.
ArchonDoesStuff wrote:So I'm running this on the June 9th x64 build of GZDoom and I thought I'd give some bug reports/feedback. I'm using the Addon pack as well as Maps of Chaos.
...Addon pack? Are you talking v2.0.3?

1: Pinkes are huggggeee unless charging.
They're not that big here. Their roughly the same size as the regular demons.
2:On 16:9 1080p a lot of the circles are very off center.
Can't exactly help you there. I'm unable to play at 1080p. However I did update the huds so try the latest version out.
3: Credit text is unreadable
You can scale up the credit text via the option menu -> hud options or something like that.
4: Music does not play at the end of a stage
It does, you just need to wait for the completionist bonus music to stop. However, I fixed this issue long ago so you might be running an older version.

Some feedback:

1: Soldiers should look more like their Doom 4 Pig-like counterparts
Get me sprites and I might. Don't count on it though, I'd much rather focus on the gameplay aspect of it unless someone else wants to.
2: Imps should crawl on walls
You mean hang? Maybe.
3: I prefer the third person glory kills from BD, or just add more glory kills.
I will never take suggestions from Brutal Doom. Sorry. And I have no interest in adding more glory kills right now, what we have is fine. I especially don't want to start looking like I'm ripping from BD.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i feel like my question/idea is not coming out right, or it's not being quite understood. when you're going akimbo with like say, a shotgun & a pistol. i feel like the pistol needs to be made to where you can hold down the firing button instead of rapid tapping the firing button. specially if you had to deal with a large amount of enemies. and the buttons to fire 2 different weapons were swapped and such
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Is D4DResources in Bleeding Edge link any different from regular one?
Last edited by worldendDominator on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i feel like my question/idea is not coming out right, or it's not being quite understood. when you're going akimbo with like say, a shotgun & a pistol. i feel like the pistol needs to be made to where you can hold down the firing button instead of rapid tapping the firing button. specially if you had to deal with a large amount of enemies. and the buttons to fire 2 different weapons were swapped and such
I understood your question perfectly the first time, you want automatic firing for the pistol with the akimbo system. My answer remains the same: You must acquire the Prototype Trigger upgrade. I will not enable it by default for the akimbo system because that's what the upgrade's job is for.

And don't forget, the menu explicitly outlines there is a weapon flip key so you can change the weapon position to whichever trigger finger you're most comfortable with on a whim.
worldendDominator wrote:Is D4DResources in Bleeding Edge link any different from regular one?
Resource updates are based around alphas, never the bleeding edge. But if I announce an alpha requires a resources update, you only need to redownload once and you'll be set until I next announce it.

The last time I updated resources was alpha 3 (April 20, roughly). If you're upgrading from that version or later, you shouldn't need to upgrade. You can keep using it for bleeding edge, no need to redownload it unless I say otherwise.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Another question, what screen resolution am I supposed to use?
On several resolutions, health and ammo counters went offscreen.
On another one (1600x1200, I think), HUD was okay, but instead main menu became squashed sideways.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Have you tried playing around with the scaling options?

Options -> Hud Options -> Scaling Options
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Major Cooke wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:i feel like my question/idea is not coming out right, or it's not being quite understood. when you're going akimbo with like say, a shotgun & a pistol. i feel like the pistol needs to be made to where you can hold down the firing button instead of rapid tapping the firing button. specially if you had to deal with a large amount of enemies. and the buttons to fire 2 different weapons were swapped and such
I understood your question perfectly the first time, you want automatic firing for the pistol with the akimbo system. My answer remains the same: You must acquire the Prototype Trigger upgrade. I will not enable it by default for the akimbo system because that's what the upgrade's job is for.

And don't forget, the menu explicitly outlines there is a weapon flip key so you can change the weapon position to whichever trigger finger you're most comfortable with on a whim.
alrighty then i guess. now that i got some answers with the updated stuff
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just noticed a major issue with this mod:

Any keybinds you define are global to all of Doom, they are not mod-restricted, because you do not use the KEYCONF protocol to define bindable actions but just dump them into a menu. Thus, all your keybinds persist when playing without D4D, leaving 'unknown command' error messages behind.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I thought KEYCONF was obsolete, for when it came to keybinds...

It happens with a lot of other mods too.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”