baseofhell.wad

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Zero X. Diamond

Re: baseofhell.wad

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

wildweasel wrote:I have a challenge for you. Make your next map with only twenty monsters and nothing stronger than a caco.
It's been a while since I've seen a good old Something Awful style Mod Challenge! I also think I'll try this just for the fuck of it.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Lud wrote:I have a question. Then why make it so hard?

I, myself, have a golden rule - if I can't beat a given map with vanilla weapons, then I lower difficulty until I can or a bit above that. I'm no newbie in Doom, but I'm not a pro, either, so I try to make maps a bit more difficult that what I can handle. That way the pros will surely have an interesting time without the map being too hard. And strategy. Use proper strategy. Hiding behind a corridor is not one. Here's a hint. Take note at the enemy placement after you go through the Hell Portal. You don't shoot the imps first because by the time you're done with them you'd be dead.
Exactly THAT ...

Well i played the map, and i consider myself as being very very patient...but this map... Please, DONT MAKE ANY MORE like such.
In the upcoming video of minus 1 hour, i lost interest in the map, and went all out in GOD mode and went all out with the BFG10K.

The map is like a maze without any logic.
For someone who KNOW the layout it will be logic, im sure about that, but for anyone else, there is no logic.
Way too many and WAY WAY WAY too powerfull 'black' Barons, WAY WAY WAY too many cyberdemons, and WAY WAY WAY WAY too many Archviles...
And so on and so on.

It's nice that you do alot experiments with map layouts and custom monsters, but as Lud says, and probably most of us...If you can't beat your own map, LOWER the difficulty.
Thats my golden rule too by the way.
And then even so, if i make a map and i can make it through, it COULD be too much for others, because i KNOW the maps layout, and the traps, and the hidden stuff...and they don't.
I once made a deathmatch map, and even the best player could NOT beat me, but thats obvious, I knew the map with my eyes closed.
After a couple of weeks, people started to make it more difficult for me to win THAT said Deathmatch map. :wink:

My advise, STOP making overpowered maps, use LESS monsters, make the maps doable.

Video will be soon available. I may NOT link the video over here.
It aint cool seeing me going to loose my control, while ingame.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Lud wrote: And tight corridors with Cyberdemons is by far the worst idea anyone could possibly come up with.
I just want to note that Doom 2 Reloaded has this one atrocious map halfway through that has a Cyberdemon jumping on you from the exit chamber into not-that-wide corridor. This corridor has three other exits: two are lifts (so no way from there to take potshots at him), and the last one has very narrow entrance, just as unsuited to snipe at Cyberdemon from. Better pray to Random Number God that BFG kills him before he corners you.
So if a similar encounter is in this wad, then at least ztktx was not the first to come up with it.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@shotfan: Still doesn't make it a good practice and that's my point. There's also a similar case in Scythe 2 where two Cyberdemons fock ye up in a tight corridor. Map 07 or 08, not sure exactly which one.

@UnTrustable: Monster count isn't a factor if the monsters are placed correctly. He can put 4000 monsters in there and it can still be a fun slaughtermap. I want a link to that vid pls. :D PM me.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

wildweasel wrote:I have a challenge for you. Make your next map with only twenty monsters and nothing stronger than a caco.
How about 12, like the infamous SnapMap limit for the new Doom?
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Lud wrote:@UnTrustable: Monster count isn't a factor if the monsters are placed correctly. He can put 4000 monsters in there and it can still be a fun slaughtermap. I want a link to that vid pls. :D PM me.
All right, i'll post m, but i lost interest after half a hour.
I got cornered, and got enough of of it.
I grabbed the god mode in console, and went beserk with the BFG10K.
If this is really a slaughter map, (new gamemode? and experiences ? :wub: ) then slaughter maps aint my thing.
I REALLY wonder in what time, and with the normal-given weapons, and HOW ztktx would beat his own map?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

If you remember correctly, he didn't beat his last map. He died halfway and posted the video.
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

I'm trying to upload my play of this map. So slow though i don't know why.

Yes i died again. Too difficult map without saves
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Lud wrote:If you remember correctly, he didn't beat his last map. He died halfway and posted the video.
ztktx wrote:I'm trying to upload my play of this map. So slow though i don't know why.

Then please lower difficulty.
Or put in well placed hidings structures, and or weaponry that withstand those demons, two or more escape routes.
And the maze area, which is mostly the entire map, is so 'all-the-same'....

But on the positive note, maybe combine all of these maps together into one wad file, and release it to the REAL die-hards out there.
I am not a die-hard player. I prefer CREATING maps too, instead of really playing maps. :wink:
Last edited by UnTrustable on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Code: Select all

Actor WarlordOfHell 22282
{ 
  Health 25000
Kek.
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

UnTrustable wrote:
ztktx wrote:I'm trying to upload my play of this map. So slow though i don't know why.

Then please lower difficulty.
Or put in well placed hidings structures, and or weaponry that withstand those demons, two or more escape routes.
And the maze area, which is mostly the entire map, is so 'all-the-same'....

But on the positive note, maybe combine all of these maps together into one wad file, and release it to the REAL die-hards out there.
I am not a die-hard player. I prefer CREATING maps too, instead of really playing maps. :wink:
That's a fun idea. I've wanted to make a ztkt superwad where i'll add all my maps, lol
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

ztktx wrote:That's a fun idea. I've wanted to make a ztkt superwad where i'll add all my maps, lol
If you want i can share to you my 'Skulltag weapons' wad file.
Like the railgun, its not only work on Zandronum, it also works under ZDoom engine.
I mean, i tried the code on the Wiki pages, and ZDoom did not recognised A_CheckForReload and or A_ResetReloadCounter...
So i worked around all of that. :wink:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Pls, no. Just...don't. We don't need a superwad, we need a mediocrebutcoolwad.
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

There is one map which is impossible even with cheats on. Sure you can share op weapons to me

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”