Monkey's RPG Mod Beta 0.31 [WIP]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
monkeybtm6

Monkey's RPG Mod Beta 0.31 [WIP]

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Monkey's RPG Mod Beta 0.31

Requires Zandronum 3.0 or GZDoom

Discription:

Heres yet another RPG mod. The idea started about a year ago when playing through the doomRPG/DoomRLarsenal combo with a friend on GZDoom, lag was making me wish there were a alternative on zandronum. SO i decided to make one, as time went on it grew into its own thing. my own design ideas and liberties being taken. i set out with two goals. 1 was to keep menu screens to a minimum, nothings worse than leveling up mid firefight and not being able to allocate your points, and very few moments like this exsist in invasion. 2 was to have a sense of persistence, which only Zandronums database functions would allow.

Gameplay Instructions:
Nothing else is required, however the SKulltag_data.pk3 and Skulltag_actors.PK3 Are needed for the invasion patch, Most invasion wads need those anyway so no big deal.

PLEASE SET A DATABASE FILE (Zandonum only)
To do this open the console and Type in "databasefile <whateverfilenamehere>" in order to save your character data. if no file exsists zandronum will automatically create a file of the specified name. you should only need to do this once.

There should be a new options menu for this mod with several settings.
An ID number because the database saves your character data with your username combined with this. I couldn't get the account systems working and wanting something more self contained anyway. think of this as an account password, you should never tell anyone this.
Theres an option to disable the database features entirely.
And lastly the player scale setting. When this is enabled monsters scale based on the average level of all the players in the game instead of based on map number.

Theres also a few new keybindings for your spell functions so be sure to set those.

Note: this mod works perfectly fine in GZDoom however the database functionality wont work, make sure to turn off the database functionality in the options if using GZDoom.

Features:
A simple hands free leveling system, want to get stronger but never see a damn stats menu?
A Custom hud based off the PS1 port of doom, its simple And clean.
A New arsenal of weapons.
Worried about having to cycle through all the weapons? Dont! Ive added slot specific weapon limits, 2 Pistol slots, 4 Primary weapon slots and 2 Power weapon slots.
5 Stats, Vitality, Attack, Arcane, Strength and speed.
Can Save your characters via the database! want to take your same character from doom 1 to doom 2? Or you just want to pick up at what level you and your friend were at last time you guys played.
Enemies can get swapped out for more difficult versions the further you get, its all based on map number.
A new Magic system to use alongside weapons. many more spells are sure to come in the future.
Supports invasion!!! (With Patch)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Links:
RECOMMENDED Stable Dropbox PK3

Monster Pack (make sure this loads after the rpg mod) PK3

Github link

Invasion Patch (Load after RPG PK3 file, Dont load with monster pack. Dont be an idiot and try to run this in GZDoom.)

Another note, If anyone can share any weapons/monsters/item sprites or sound effects, or just want to help me with code id be happy, id take any help no matter how small or big. this mods a bit large for one person to handle.
Last edited by monkeybtm6 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Monkey's RPG Mod Beta 0.29 [WIP]

Post by Captain J »

Looks interesting. And just tried it and it was pretty darn good. But one problem;

Some weapons seems doesn't have ammo in their magazine when pickup, so i can't use anything until i collect some ammo to use.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Captain J wrote:Looks interesting. And just tried it and it was pretty darn good. But one problem;

Some weapons seems doesn't have ammo in their magazine when pickup, so i can't use anything until i collect some ammo to use.
The weapons coming unloaded was kinda intentional, however i guess i should have the player at least start with some ammo for the weapons, ill add that into the next version.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I see. And that would be best then!
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Captain J wrote:I see. And that would be best then!
Okay it was a simple enough change so i just applied it as a hotfix, just redownload from the same link and it should start you a bit of every ammo type
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Ah, nice to see you make a topic here. Best of luck on the project.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Why is there so many weapons in slot 3? More importantly why are weapons that don't belong in slot 3 are in slot 3?
mutator

Post by mutator »

looking lovely so far :)
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Ikazu-san wrote:Why is there so many weapons in slot 3? More importantly why are weapons that don't belong in slot 3 are in slot 3?
because limitations in how much you can customize the slot keys, they're all primary type weapons...once you get 4 you have to drop one to pickup another. Its not the best thing i know but i kinda dont have any other options. its either that or slot keys that make even less sense.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

still appreciate the feedback, next version i split the primary weapons to 3 hotkey slots, Shotguns on 3, RIfles on 4, and Energy weapons on 5. so heavy weapons were moved to 6 (BFG's, Rocket launchers.)
PerilousPear

Post by PerilousPear »

I can't get it to start. :( Can anyone tell me what the load order is? (The pk3 file gets me to the point when I pick the difficulty, and the game is supposed to start, but then it exists with a crash report)
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

PerilousPear wrote:I can't get it to start. :( Can anyone tell me what the load order is? (The pk3 file gets me to the point when I pick the difficulty, and the game is supposed to start, but then it exists with a crash report)
Try redownloading it, i briefly uploaded a corrupted build by accident at first.
PerilousPear

Post by PerilousPear »

It works now. Re-downloading did the trick. Thanks!
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

no problem, thought i caught that upload error before it would effect anyone but i guess i was wrong.
monkeybtm6

Post by monkeybtm6 »

Image Felt this was sorta obvious to add into the game.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”