GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: GZDoom discussion

Post by Zanieon »

Eruanna wrote:You're awfully grumpy about how other people choose to play a game.
I have to say that i am not this kind of person for many things but unfortunately this is one of the things that irks me alot, for gzdoom settings i mean, about how people plays their games is another stuff.
wildweasel wrote:Except for those unfortunate souls with crappy monitors that don't handle low lights very well.
Graf Zahl wrote:The ambient light level won't be removed, because, as WW said, it's one of the better options to adjust for extremely dark monitors.
Well i see people using more the Gamma Correction for such case instead of Ambient Light Level, i had to ask exactly because what i do see most is people using this to make dark maps look bright AF which entirely breaks the intention of the mapper, and not in the good way i mean because it's intentional to the mapper in darken the map to far things not appear obvious to the player whereas Ambient Light Level literally makes the entire environment bright pratically making that and the Light Amplification Goggles redudant (why use a temporary powerup when u have an option of a permanent one?).

Ok so, i understand this, but at least can the maximum value be lowered? I think put the entire range of 1~255 is a bit too much and becomes a cheat in fact.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zanieon wrote:Ok so, i understand this, but at least can the maximum value be lowered? I think put the entire range of 1~255 is a bit too much and becomes a cheat in fact.
If a person wants to use that to cheat, then it's only their own experience that they are ruining.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Yes yes i know that but still i don't think it really needs that absurd value range for monitor brightness adjustment...
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

All I can really say is that we cannot predict 100% of all possible use cases. Maybe someone needs it for a reason we've never heard of before.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

dpJudas just posted this over on DRD Team, showing off a GZDoom test build with ambient occlusion (that works in fog!) and a new automatic adjustment system for bloom exposure. The SSAO, from my experience while toying with the earlier test builds, really makes urban-type environments pop. It might be a bit hard to notice in this shot, so here's another taken by Nash of abbuw's city map:
Spoiler:
Also of note is a new range of dynamic lighting quality. So that means specular highlights, amongst other things. Maybe. I'm just parroting most of this post from the development threads, but from what I've garnered these are sort of experimental and won't be added in until further changes are made to better accommodate them. Bit of a ramble, but I'm just so excited by these recent developments. dpJudas is quite the wizard, and I'm very thankful they've taken the time to do these things.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

RE: Ambient light levels... aren't there brightness/contrast/gamma adjustments available already? The availability of a display-space brightness control should override the need for a map-space ambient light control, IMO. The former works within the users environment while the latter screws with the mapper's intention.

8-)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I personally do not feel too strongly one way or the other about the ambient light setting, but as with any user option it would kind of suck to see it go.

I do think, however, more mappers (who make ZDoom-specific maps) should start taking advantage of sector colors rather than relying on Doom's light-brighting system when this really is a concern. Sector colors can be used to reliably darken sectors a perfectly uniform amount, in both renderers, and they will not affect GL lights and they are also not affected by a user's preferences for gl_lightmode or gl_light_ambient. This allows you to pretty much set standard 128's and 192's for the good old fashioned sector fade while having more fine control over the actual brightness levels GZDoom emits.

Sector colors are also now the only way to reliably create a pitch black sector that will actually be pitch black. This allows you to light a level exclusively using point lights - something that's been done a lot with less ancient gaming engines.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

... I can't believe I never thought of doing that. :shock: Well, now I know what I'm gonna be trying out for the evanescent levelset I'll never make someday.

8-)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Added RSS feed to the OP, since it's something that can be easily imported to other sites quickly.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

This method is not a bad idea, it actually can separe maps from mappers who don't care how people will play them and the others who wants a certain way to be played.
NGX

Post by NGX »

Any chance of seeing a TAS-demo recorder for GZDoom? :wub:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A simple one can be compiled pretty easily simply by changing #define TICRATE in doomdefs.h. I don't know the full extent of sync issues you may encounter while doing that, but theoretically demos played back at a higher tic rate should work fine.

Last time I did it I was able to record a successful full Nightmare E1M1 run without dying and killing most things that were in the way, and it played back properly, but based on the movements you could tell very easily that it was recorded at a lower tic rate.
NGX

Post by NGX »

Playing in slow-motion, aye?

But I hope to see a proper "save+load TAS-demo recorder" :lol:
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Why does disabling viewbob with the menu slider disable weapon bobbing?
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

NGX wrote:Any chance of seeing a TAS-demo recorder for GZDoom? :wub:
Extremely unlikely, and this has to be something that begins with ZDoom, not its forks. The reason being is that there is no point for such a feature until ZDoom standardizes things in such a way that demo playback with itself is backwards compatible... a process which I'd imagine would take a very long time...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”