GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Accensus

Re: GZDoom discussion

Post by Accensus »

That explains it. Thanks, Graf!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

GZDoom 2.2.0 is out in a non-devbuild form. Update, yo!
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I'm kind of confused by the removal of the dynamic light size options. It breaks stuff like this:
Older maps like E2M4 Redux required the light size to be set to a certain value, as the default is too dark. As it stands this map is kind of screwy to play since it's so hard to see. I suppose one could change it in the console, though.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I suppose one could change it in the console, though.
Both the size and intensity options are completely gone, not just from the menu.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Just to play devil's advocate: If they'd been removed 11 years ago, sequences like that wouldn't be necessary in the first place (for what it's worth, that's the only one I've ever seen or heard of). This is one of those situations where consistency should trump customization, IMO. Using the brightness/contrast/gamma/lightmode settings should be more than enough to account for monitor variations, just like any modern game engine. At very worst patches could be made for any mods which (god forbid) depend on non-standard light settings.

8-)
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Yeah. After the initial surprise I quickly came to the conclusion that it was probably for the better as it didn't have much use anyways.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There might be a way to bring them back, particularly for E2M4 redux. That is a cool map, but a lot of it really is dark.

I wonder what Graf would think of setting a global option per-map through MAPINFO, that could be activated similar to compatibility options in ZDoom, where older maps such as this could be fixed retroactively by setting a static light value as it was originally intended in GZDoom before. The compatibility settings (for mods like this) would be stored in gzdoom.pk3 as always.

That being said, it only demands a gl_light_radius of 1.2 - it isn't affected that badly by things being dark.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I really have to wonder why a mapper would think to depend on a non-standard setting for them. That's truly and utterly baffling. These were USER-SIDE settings after all... :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's actually quite common for mappers to demand (and in some cases with Skulltag/Zandronum, force) user settings a certain way.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sometimes these people have to learn the badness of this the hard way. :twisted:
Just a note: A USER SETTING may be removed without any warning if it is deemed no longer useful. A map setting (i.e. anything configurable to a game definition lump) is not, except for very are and special circumstances.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Yeah i noticed that was removed as well...

AW MY GOSH THANKS LORD GRAF ZAHL FOR REMOVING THIS CANCER FROM THE SAUCE PORT. Every fucking time i go to Youtube and see people using Additive Dynlights a version of me dies somewhere in the multiverse.

Now pls... can u remove Ambient Light Level too? There's no reason for this thing keep residing in the Source Port when we have the Light Modes with one of them being able to simulate Software.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You're awfully grumpy about how other people choose to play a game.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zanieon wrote:Now pls... can u remove Ambient Light Level too? There's no reason for this thing keep residing in the Source Port when we have the Light Modes with one of them being able to simulate Software.
Except for those unfortunate souls with crappy monitors that don't handle low lights very well.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

If you set Ambient Light Level to 0 and set Light Mode to Doom, some walls will appear black. Setting the ALL to 10 and above fixes that. I think we might need it for now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The ambient light level won't be removed, because, as WW said, it's one of the better options to adjust for extremely dark monitors.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”