GZDoom discussion (Version 2.3.1 released 2016/jan/7)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Agentbromsnor

Re: GZDoom discussion

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I hope it gets brought into the mix eventually. When designing my maps I'm always thinking of ways to create level-assets out of geometry, just because the dynamic light makes it look better that way. For me, it would be great to be able to use models in these situations.

That being said, I do understand that ZScript has a higher priority at the moment. Behaviour is more important than graphics.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I need a little help in getting rid of these:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can do r_clearbuffer 1. That'll at least make them black and much harder to notice. You can also turn up multisampling to 8x.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

No, no, i found what was it. FXAA was off in Nvidia Control Panel.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Normally these only appear if 'render quality' is set to 'speed'. The 'quality' mode is adding additional vertices to prevent these.
Also r_clearbuffer will only help if there's no sky visible anywhere. If there's just one seg with sky visible the entire sky layer will be drawn beneath the level.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

When I spawn a dynamic light manually, why is it that modifying its args[3] value (=intensity, according to this page) will not have any effect, while modifying the other args (RGB values) works just fine?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Because those args' contents are copied to internal variables and never used directly. This code dates from a time when the args were 8 bit values so it couldn't reside in the args themselves
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

So do we have access to these particular internal variables in ZScript? This would give me a more complete control of dynamic lights, which is what I've been looking for.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Or perhaps the internal variables could be suppressed as they are no longer needed.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 585402c38f
- removed gl_light_ambient.

This really serves no use anymore and is mostly a remnant of old times with dark CRT monitors. The default ambient level was set at 20, meaning a sector light level of 40. This is a value actual levels rarely get to, except when using some lighting effects - but it's for those that the ambient clamping did the most damage.
There is at least one person in the community who I know is going to be excited for this change. Personally, I don't care much either way, but I figured it was worth mentioning that it was done.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I love it, good riddance to that CVar. :mrgreen: The user is more than welcome to press F11 or further mess with the brightness, contrast and gamma sliders in the Options menu.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Like I said, I really don't feel strongly about it either way, I didn't really see it causing much harm, but didn't see it doing much good, either. :)

I was more or less just astounded with how strongly a certain few people felt about it. They rabidly campaigned for its removal like an angry squirrel. Well - now it's gone, so said people should be happy. :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It got ditched the moment it turned out to cause problems. The sole reason behind its existence were old and dark monitors which drowned everything in black beyond a certain light level so that the visibility cutoff could be lifted above what the monitor could handle. Of course it's been 8 years since I owned such a POS...

"That person" should get a life, though.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Speaking of light levels, what's the purpose of the DistFog CVAR? I mean I know what changing it does, but it doesn't appear in any menus and can't be set in the MAPINFO lump or anything as far as I know (which may of course be wrong).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Like gl_light_ambient, it's just a leftover from a long time ago.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”