I made another map

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ztktx

I made another map

Post by ztktx »

Now i hope i've created something better. This has been fun to play for me at least.

Nothing unfair for laughs this time. The map is quite balanced though it may be too easy. Not sure.

I also changed the music to another doom-map soundtrack. i hope it works

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ag8h5 ... olorss.wad
demo_the_man

Re: I made another map

Post by demo_the_man »

Screenshots?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I was about to upload some myself, just to announce that it's pretty much more of the same, except Imgur isn't letting me upload anything for some reason, so I'm going to suggest that Zerthex do it himself. (It's in the Project Posting Guidelines, even.)
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

ztktx

Post by ztktx »

There is also some secrets. Should make the map more interesting.
BFG

Post by BFG »

hey, are you using something like EdMap or another retro map editor for these? The designs really take me back to 1996.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Yeah, details like door frames, overhangs, lights on ceilings, boxes used as map geometry / varied heights, ect.

Lets look at a good map, for instance. e2m2. You start off and see a very wide warehouse, with crates everywhere, and mixed up crate textures, and the crates themselves make for a very maze like atmosphere. Imps are all around, but not necessarily visible. Fine placement of sound blockades means some will wander around, aloerted by your first kill, while others will wait to ambush you. A little deeper, it goes from concrete floors, lights above, to an eerie marble corridor full of imps, the demonic look making it stand out from the warehouse. Past that is several machine lift things, and the player wonders "wow, what are these for?" not only that, but they hide a secret, and a fun little thing to climb on. Another hellish room holds a switch (key? I forget) and contrasts with the tech base setting, and the tech base setting compliments the warehouse. Theres a long stretch of corridor of a secret in walls of tech, wiring, ect, and it feels like a maintenance tunnel or something. Another area of tech holds a plasma rifle, which compliment the find with the setting (plasma rifle in a semi secure area, filled with tech? looks sweet). Crusher area slows the pace just enough to put the player on edge with dangerous crushers, while also throwing imp at them, making them multitask between crushers, shooting, and dodging, which while light is pretty fun, as is seeing imps get squished. Chainsaw in secret corridor is in a dark, foreboding room, and picking up the chainsaw unleashes souls. Not a bad trade, but will make players work for their find an appropriate amount. Key is past crushers, which feels like an accomplishment, and the secret chaingun in the nukage zone you lower down seems almost cinematic when given to you, especially considering this level was done almost entirely with a shotgun.

All these effects make it a very pleasant map, and its non liniarity makes it enjoyable to explore, even if its not huge, the winding setup makes it seem MUCH larger than it is

another issue is color and textures..the railings have a steel side texture, but a blood floor texture, and this just looks shitty. Why would the railing be covered in blood? Plus, the room seems entirely red, which, isn't necessarily bad, but should be used sparingly unless going for that effect.

Also, like bfg said, get doombuilder, or even slade if you cannot use that. Both have better map editors, and make placing stuff, adjusting, ect very easy. Copy and paste tool, even though it gets flack is very useful. I made a convincing warehouse in my dump3 map by making 1 very detailed crate stack, and then copy pasting it all over, and it looks fine. This is a good way to save time yet still get a nice look, but dont go TOO crazy with it.
Last edited by mumblemumble on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Zerthex?! Ztktx...Zerthex...mother of God!

EDIT: Played through the map. Certainly enjoyed it more than his previous ones.
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

I've always used doombuilder, and xwe for custom stuff
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Lud wrote:Zerthex?! Ztktx...Zerthex...mother of God!

That was my exact reaction when I found out it was him...... :glare:
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

I searched that name and now i understand. ztkt and ztktx are my doom-usernames on the internet and nothing to do with "zerthex"

here is my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wHkQ ... 325VO0mjzw

Also on topic. please play the map and comment :)
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Much much better... play wise. :wub:
..even though the last door to the Cyberdemon killed me.... but it was fun .
Well done :wink:

Maybe the next improvement COULD be some wall details...
ztktx

Post by ztktx »

UnTrustable wrote:Much much better... play wise. :wub:
..even though the last door to the Cyberdemon killed me.... but it was fun .
Well done :wink:

Maybe the next improvement COULD be some wall details...
Thanks.

Sure i'll try to improve on texture stuff but how. The start area with outside textures is quite well done i think
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

This is a nice stepping stone... Some more room and height-variation and a consistent theme for each map and it'll be a perfect baseline to follow!
zerthex
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by zerthex »

that isnt me.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”