[gizdoom] Lazy palette shader

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [gizdoom] Lazy palette shader

Post by Rachael »

If you manage to get GZDoom running on a 486, more power to you. :P

I'm mostly targeting Pentium III computers, if even that low. If the first level loads in less than 6 seconds, that's good enough for me. And on that note, ZDoom's own V_Init cycle should take less than 2, since it's still doing rgb555 for that.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Can ZDoom even run on a P3 anymore? If Visual Studio 2015 is now the minimum compiler for ZDoom, then the minimum architecture is SSE 2 if I remember correctly. This means a Pentium 4 will be the oldest CPU that can run ZDoom now.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

In that case, i am not even worried, then. On my laptop CPU, the load times are pretty much instant.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

But hey... is it okay that can I edit the current build of Engoo and make it not suck?! Well... I can add fully working MIDI/MOD music, reduce the number of freezes in one preset, and add Saturn style coloured lightning FX, bilnear filtering (which would be tough!), light flare, multiple weather FX, with lens flare (Military levels only), voxels, destroyable level geometry, etc.
I'll redo some code, add some new, and then rename it as build 287 and just made it less crap if I only had some coding skill, which I should. But only MOD music, sadly.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Oberron wrote:But hey... is it okay that can I edit the current build of Engoo
it's free software, knock yourself out
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Oberron wrote:[...] and make it not suck?! [...] and just made it less crap [...]
This is probably not going to endear you towards the project's author.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Oberron wrote: I'll redo some code, add some new, and then rename it as build 287 and just made it less crap if I only had some coding skill, which I should. But only MOD music, sadly.
...So you announced a bunch of things, only to say that you can't do any of this, all while calling the thing you' said you'd be working on to be a piece of crap? What are you trying to achieve, exactly?

Back on the subject, though, if that works well with custom PLAYPALs like Weasel's Film Noir, I definitely want to try this, could probably achieve a nice stylized theme that way.
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

Sadly it no longer works on the latest (pre 2.4) dev build of gzdoom. :(
Nash

Post by Nash »

It's already built into GZDoom. Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences, set Tonemap Mode to Palette
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Don't expect any custom shaders whatsoever to work once GZDoom goes through enough updates, unless they are defined through GLDEFS. This one clearly was not. As Nash said, GZDoom already picked this one up mainline.

Also, considering that this is pretty old news by now, and does not need updates, I'm graveyarding this.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”