Operation Body Count (Canceled)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Operation Body Count (Canceled)

Post by ImpieTwo »

CANCELED

The Tunnel Rats are back! After kicking Aniki's ass at the end of Nerves of Steel, their vacation is interrupted by a takeover of the U.N. Headquarters during a summit meeting. The HORUS terrorist organization has brought enough firepower to level a continent, and only Torrez and Storm are tough enough (and crazy enough) to go in after them.

So after finishing Nerves of Steel -- a remake of one of the worst fps games ever made -- I thought, "What if I made sequels that were also remakes of bad DOS-era fps games, using the same protagonists?" I had a few obscure map projects on my hard drive that fit the bill, finished/reworked them, and ended up with a three-level remake of Operation Body Count. Don't know when I'll finish it, but I do intend to at some point, and I'd love to try the same thing with other terrible shooters like Island Peril and Angst: Rahz's Revenge.

Check out the demo and lemme know what you think.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Operation Body Count (Demo)

Post by Kinsie »

I'm downloading this now, and I'll say this: I love the idea of weird-but-good "tributes" to terrible old DOS FPSes, and can't wait to inflict an Angst tribute on poor old Shadsy.

That said, briefly playing the first level of this demo, it doesn't feel like it preserves the "flavor" of the original game. It just feels like a mish-mash of assets from HACX and Strife.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Kinsie wrote:I'm downloading this now, and I'll say this: I love the idea of weird-but-good "tributes" to terrible old DOS FPSes, and can't wait to inflict an Angst tribute on poor old Shadsy.

That said, briefly playing the first level of this demo, it doesn't feel like it preserves the "flavor" of the original game. It just feels like a mish-mash of assets from HACX and Strife.

Yeesh, but do you REALLY want that authentic Operation Body Count experience? 3-4 sewer levels as an introduction to the game?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Sweet. Making the old crappy DOS games into proper TCs/recreations is a great idea, and I have one that I'd love to do but lack the time or energy to handle right now: Last Rites. It's newer than Doom so there are features that you'd need to use ZDoom to accomplish, like ramps and slanted geometry. I have a good lot of the resources but it's missing a lot, and I have the whole soundtrack saved to my drive. A TC of that game would rule.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

Nevander wrote:Sweet. Making the old crappy DOS games into proper TCs/recreations is a great idea, and I have one that I'd love to do but lack the time or energy to handle right now: Last Rites. It's newer than Doom so there are features that you'd need to use ZDoom to accomplish, like ramps and slanted geometry. I have a good lot of the resources but it's missing a lot, and I have the whole soundtrack saved to my drive. A TC of that game would rule.
Yeah! A TC from that game would be aweasome :D , have nice sprites , nice weapons , nice music, that would be a good mod/tc for doom. [|:3
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

IMO, you should leave out the custom weapons to allow people to use weapon mods. The enemies should stay though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

If the maps just used the DoomEdNum's of the weapons they're replacing, it would be compatible with weapon mods without having to remove these custom weapons.
patrik

Post by patrik »

xenoxols wrote:IMO, you should leave out the custom weapons to allow people to use weapon mods. The enemies should stay though.
What? You dont like F.O.A.D. smg? :P

I seen videos about it and while art direction and its atmosphere looked very nice, gameplay seemed to me very stale and repetetive. So seeing it recreated in zdoom with better level design would be very cool idea. :D

Ahem, sorry for derailing thread ImpieTwo. :oops:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

It's not derailing, it still pertains to what I'm doing: rehashing crappy shooters into better ones. A lot of Last Rites resources have been ripped already, so you can certainly start playing with the idea now.

Anyway, what's the point of changing everything but the guns just for the sake of people who insist on using Brutal Doom for everything? I'd just as soon stick to my original vision and let the anal retentive doomers deal with it.

What I could really use is androgynous arms for all the guns I currently have in this mod and Nerves of Steel, and a better seeker missile launcher graphic. Nobody has a centered revolver graphic that's worth a damn: they only make 'em in the awkward Duke Nukem angle.

EDIT: Incidentally, the current version of the demo lags when starting a new game in gzdoom and I'm not sure why, nor if it's a gzdoom version-specific issue.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

The problem isn't that people can't play brutal doom with it, the problem is that the weapons that you are forced to use have no thought put into them. They don't fell great, the sprites aren't too good, and the hands aren't even consistent. However, you could follow Ed's advice and everyone would be happy.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

xenoxols wrote:The problem isn't that people can't play brutal doom with it, the problem is that the weapons that you are forced to use have no thought put into them. They don't fell great, the sprites aren't too good, and the hands aren't even consistent. However, you could follow Ed's advice and everyone would be happy.
It'd help if you could articulate your criticisms in a meaningful way. If there is something wrong with the graphics or mechanics, you need to explain in a way others can relate to rather than simply say "it sucks". Otherwise it just comes off like you're saying "change the whole mod specifically to my personal preferences, but guess what those preferences are" and I'm basically gonna ignore the hell out of you.

I can't do anything about the inconsistent hands at the moment, but would like to fix it if someone has a good set of matching androgynous hands, or at the very least a centered Doom revolver that's worth a shit. I've seen maybe one so far, and it's a dinky, unnatural-looking thing.

However, I don't see what's wrong with the sprites, and your personal dislike of the selection or the mechanics doesn't mean I didn't put any thought into the arsenal. All of the guns are from the Nerves of Steel mod, as I've mentioned, and all those guns were chosen as Decorate equivalents to the DOS Nerves of Steel guns. I tried to make sure each brought something unique to the table, and I think I managed that pretty well despite basing the original mod on a terrible FPS. If there's a way I can adjust them, I'm open to suggestions; simply going "fuck it, just let us use whatever" isn't an acceptable solution for me, as it shouldn't be for anyone who sets out to achieve a specific thing with their mod.

I don't think I've ever messed around with DoomEdNum's before, so I'll have to look into it first.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

ImpieTwo wrote:I don't think I've ever messed around with DoomEdNum's before, so I'll have to look into it first.
For instance, your AK47 has DoomEdNum 25098. If, instead of placing Thing 25098 on your maps, you had simply placed 2002 (Chaingun), and used 'AK47 replaces Chaingun' (which you also seem to have in addition to giving it a new DoomEdNum), the AK47 would appear, but any weapon mod that replaces the Chaingun would also let its weapon appear. This is how you've already done things in Strange Aeons.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Ed the Bat wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:I don't think I've ever messed around with DoomEdNum's before, so I'll have to look into it first.
For instance, your AK47 has DoomEdNum 25098. If, instead of placing Thing 25098 on your maps, you had simply placed 2002 (Chaingun), and used 'AK47 replaces Chaingun' (which you also seem to have in addition to giving it a new DoomEdNum), the AK47 would appear, but any weapon mod that replaces the Chaingun would also let its weapon appear. This is how you've already done things in Strange Aeons.
I think I see what you mean (I forgot that's what a DoomEdNum was...I must be tired). I may have done the same with these and had them replace their respective weapon slots, but I'll have to double check. If I remember right, though, it seems like using the "replace" function is all that's needed. Is changing the number really necessary?

Then again I had to ask someone else how to make an intermission screen, so I'm willing to bet I don't quite know what I'm doing.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Operation Body Count (Canceled)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sorry to bump this thread, but I felt like revisiting some of your previous Doom projects and I wanted to see if Operation Body Count had been updated since the last time I played.

Why did you cancel the project? :?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Operation Body Count (Canceled)

Post by Graf Zahl »

More importantly: Why isn't this in the "Dead projects" forum? With the link nuked this all is useless.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”