Deep Space Hell

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
scroton

Deep Space Hell

Post by scroton »

Project thread for Deep Space Hell.

Required image from early early development:

Will be updated when playable releasable alpha is ready.
scroton

Re: Deep Space Hell

Post by scroton »

Reserved in case I need more spoiler dropdowns later.
scroton

Post by scroton »

Reserved in case I need more spoiler dropdowns later. Three posts should be sufficient.

Please do not bump thread until there is more here, I am creating this thread for reservation purposes.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

scroton wrote:Please do not bump thread until there is more here, I am creating this thread for reservation purposes.
You can't really stop people from doing that unless the thread gets locked, in which case nobody can use it, even you.

[edit] And...that's a shotgun. Are you sure you wouldn't rather have waited until you had something more substantial to show off first? Just curious...
scroton

Post by scroton »

wildweasel wrote:You can't really stop people from doing that unless the thread gets locked, in which case nobody can use it, even you.
That's fine, it was a polite request rather than a demand. I'm not gonna be angry if people bump it, I was mostly doing it as a courtesy to other works so that it doesn't clutter up the front page of the project forums.
wildweasel wrote:[edit] And...that's a shotgun. Are you sure you wouldn't rather have waited until you had something more substantial to show off first? Just curious...
It's actually the shotgun whose animations (decorate offsets) I asked you about using about a year ago in irc.
There is more, but it's all code and not completely finished, and couldn't as of yet be neatly packaged into a screenshot which would include only the mod in question and not other things which are non-vanilla but unrelated to the mod.
The reason I made this thread was primarily to reserve the name "Deep Space Hell" as I really like the name and am dead set on using it, but since it is only a unique combination of generic terms, and not a unique name, I was worried about other people independently coming up with the name themselves in the meantime.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Considering the modding scene stretches back to 1994, if someone was going for that name for their mod, I daresay they'd have already done so by now.

Lack of screenshots understandable, but... any information on what you'll be doing with this?
scroton

Post by scroton »

I prefer to keep plans mostly private until shortly before release, but I can give a general overview.

Base of project is tsp code, without tsp assets or character. Guns will be high tech, with multiple fire modes like Zeke shotgun in tsp, though most will not have multiple ammo types. Expect other hijinks like the wog beam. Realistic reloading for "real" guns, but this can be turned off. Melee is not integral.

Main focus is monsters, not guns. Theme for monsters is hellish, played straight. Includes things like demonic runes and monster spellcasting. No entirely new monsters from me, but all will have custom behavior with "tells" for what they are about to do that the savvy player can pick up on. Some default monsters will be replaced entirely with different enemies.

Monster version will be fully compatible with a set of supported mods (similar to zdoom pistol start options.) The full version will not be compatible by default with any other mods. Both versions will include many toggleable options like projectile intercept and hitscan vs projectiles fired by hitscan enemies. Monster health and monster damage are also modifiable options via menu. Other display options as well. In the monster version, all can be set on a per-supported-mod basis, with a general option for all mods that has an option to override or not override mod-specific settings. For instance, you could set hitscan enemies to use projectiles only when loaded with Demonsteele, give all monsters 4x damage no matter what you play with, and 8x health only for Russian Overkill. Which mod is being played must be set by the player, as it is easiest and doesn't rely on hacky detection methods. All mod-specific requirements of monsters such as souls from monsters on death in Demonsteele or the coins from Psychic will be supported by default in main file. The full version will have options which only apply to certain difficulty settings, much like how the monster version handles settings with different mods. Location damage will be included, but by default will not modify damage and only be used for special death states. This, as other things, can be toggled or have values set by the player.

As a rule, monsters will have the same health and deal the same damage as their vanilla counterparts, though they will certainly fire more often and with harder to dodge attacks. Some will spawn other monsters under certain conditions. Player definable health and damage mean they will fit with any supported mod and player skill. Target difficulty level at base damage and health is between Fractal Doom and Hideous Destructor, more towards the Fractal Doom side.

There will be separate files for the full and monster only versions, as the coding will be different enough to require it. The monster version will be released before the full version. The monster version will have a menudef will all options in it (so you don't have to manually enter cvars into console as you did with zpso) and also a menudefless version, for compatability; the idea being you set options with the menudef version and then load the one without for actually playing.

Zandronum compatibility is not a hard goal of the project, but coding that can work in zand or be adapted to do so will be implemented wherever possible to make an eventual zand-compatible version easier. This is more true for monster version; for full version zand compat will only be done where relatively easy do so. Target version of (g)zdoom is the earlier one I put on the tsp git, I forget what the exact version is. Dynamic lights will be included but not brightmaps; unlike many other mods the target port will be zdoom rather than gzdoom. Software brightmaps will be included at release.

Do not expect a release before 2017.

Maps are not planned. Doom Shuffle will be compatible with both versions.

While no other Doom project has the name "Deep Space Hell", there are several that have come quite close such as "High Tech Hell", and other non-Doom things. It is just my own vanity, but I would like my project to be the first to bear its name.

Since this is all posted from my phone, I apologize in advance if there are any errors that make it difficult to read. [edit]: I have edited this post like 12 times trying to fix errors from writing on phone, I feel sorry for anyone reading it during this.

[edit2]: To clarify the seemingly contradictory compatibility targets of the mentioned GZDoom version and overall ZDoom compatibility: it will run without errors in the specific version of GZDoom, will include dynamic lights for those that want them, and will include model versions of any voxels assets used (for performance reasons) but beyond that will not make use of any GZDoom features and all graphical effects will be designed for and tested in ZDoom.

[edit3]: I am aware that there are limitations to compatibility "out of the box" for mods which replace monsters as part of difficulty settings as these supercede any decorate replacements. The monster version will not include any custom difficulty levels (for compatibility) and so for these cases there will extra compat files, included at release.

[edit4]: There will be a git included with release; currently the git is set to private, but it will be made public at time of release. All compiled code will have source included, and code comments will be geared towards use by non-author coders. As has been the case with all previous projects, all code or assets created will be free to use. Forking of the git will be encouraged for those that wish to create the own version of the project. Other assets will be fully credited; as in previous projects credits for assets and ideas will be organized both by individual/entity and per asset, with origin files named where applicable.
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

Could you post more pictures?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”