[Deprecated] Movement Head Tilt

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nash

[Deprecated] Movement Head Tilt

Post by Nash »

03/03/2017: This mod has been deprecated. Please use Tilt++ instead.

Just something I was dicking around with. I wanted to replicate the camera/head tilting as seen in the beginning of the Skyrim trailer because I thought it looked cool. It's not a 1:1 replica but I think it's close. The tilting amount is influenced by how fast the player is moving; it works perfectly with analog joysticks and things like that. I setup a bunch of #defines so that you can easily tune it to suit your project's aesthetics.

THIS IS A MODDER'S RESOURCE/TUTORIAL! I'm only uploading this for educational purposes. I did not test it with regular Doom gameplay sessions. This code would most probably only be fully utilized for custom mods who'd like to incorporate this (like in a TC or something). I leave it up to the individual modder's skill to figure out how to implement this stuff (it's not difficult).

Because this is a "here's how I did this", if something breaks because you threw this into your 20-mod Brutal load order, that's not my problem!

Last edited by Nash on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Code] Movement Head Tilt (like in the Skyrim trailer)

Post by YukiHerz »

Doom: Starring Crazylegs Crane.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I can't wait to try this with the mouseaim movement and Quake-tilt mutators with Hideous Destructor and hurl all over the monitor! :P

In all seriousness this is subtle but surprisingly rad.

EDIT: Oh, this is TERRIFIC. It's like the "roadie run" from the Gears of War games.
Last edited by Big C on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Looks slick, Nash! Could I recommend maybe increasing the "speed" of the rocking so it looks more like steps than floating, kinda like how Minecraft does it?

8-)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Hey Nash, this doesn't seem to want to work with your Quake-style tilt mod, for some reason.
Nash

Post by Nash »

When you load more than one mod who are all explicitly setting the camera's roll, one will overwrite the other. That's what I meant when I wrote my disclaimer in the OP. :P This was the same reason why you couldn't combine my death tilt code example with the strafe tilting, etc etc. Since these are all quick'n'dirty proof-of-concepts, I never bothered to make them modular...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Cali: What kind of curve would that be? Maybe like the one in D? I don't know the formula for that though (my maths suck)

Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Ahnnn, Nash...

You actually just did more Quake-styled tilting, but a Quake 3-style this time, Skyrim just adopted that for some unknown reason.

EDIT: Anyway thanks for this, this one is what i was waiting for to add in Hunter's Moon due to obvious reasons.
Last edited by Zanieon on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Well, maybe Minecraft was a bad example. For this, I think the curve you've got is fine, it just needs to be faster, like you're taking more human-sized steps than huge, loping strides.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Oh wow, I didn't know that was a Quake 3 feature. :S Goes to show how much I don't play Q3 haha.

As for the effect in the Skyrim trailer, I'm guessing it's probably just head tracking the camera attached to the head bone of the skeletal mesh, so the movement isn't a mathematical one but rather a hand-crafted one (just following the head's position in the running animation). So technically it probably didn't "copy" Quake 3... it's just the result of the art assets used.

EDIT: Cali

The various properties are currently configurable inside the ACS source but that requires recompiling. I should probably expose them as user-settable CVars...
Last edited by Nash on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Well Q3 does that as you saw in my vid, i don't see why shouldn't you expose them too :) There's always who thinks the bobbing is not "fitting".
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

@Nash: Hopefully I'm not asking too much but could you release a version where the camera tilt is a little more intense and somewhat similar to the camera behavior in the PSX port of Powerslave?
Nash

Post by Nash »

03/03/2017: This mod has been deprecated. Please use Tilt++ instead.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”