CustomDoom v1.8.2 FINAL

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Do you find the mod useful?

Hell yeah! I'm using it all the time!
45%
Yes. It is helpful for the most part.
42%
Meh. It's ok, but not that big of a deal.
6%
No. There are some things I don't like.
No votes
Hell no! I'd rather go to prison than use it!
No votes
I am not using this mod.
6%
Other. (Specify)
No votes

Total votes: 62

StatisticalHourglass

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.1

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

I haven't tried the mod out yet, but if you need ideas I'd like to see a projectile speed modifier and pickup multipliers, or changing powerup duration.
Accensus

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.1

Post by Accensus »

Hmm, that sounds doable. I'm not entirely sure how that'll happen, but I have some ideas to begin with. Remember, I don't want to modify DECORATE. I try to hack entirely with ACS. I'll look into it when I have time. Thanks for the ideas.
Accensus

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.2

Post by Accensus »

Minor update. More info in changelog in the main post.

Also updated F.A.Q. regarding sliders for damage options. It works, yes, but it makes things so much Not different, that it's next to a waste of time changing the code.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Seems cool! This is up my alley, and the ability to change stuff on the fly is good. My question, does changing weapon damage instead of monster health really do the same thing? Since weapons do different levels of damage, might this mess with balance stuff? Or something? Would this make a rocket launcher more overpowered than other weapons for example? Maybe I'm overthinking that.

Also I don't see the option to change weapon damage in the zdoom Skill_definition page, how did you arrive at the idea to do weapon damage instead of monster health?

Also, does this not include the options to customize ammo and health pickup amounts? Here's an example of a custom mapinfo.txt I've used for some harder maps:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Skill_definition

skill groovy2
{
AmmoFactor = 1.64
DamageFactor = .72
MonsterHealth = .64
HealthFactor = 1.64
SpawnFilter = Normal
Name = "groovy2"
}

If I could do that stuff with this mod, it would be great. A map being too stingy with health or ammo pickups is a common thing, and I like changing it that way more than giving myself regenerating ammo for example. So if I could request one addition, just the ability to change the amount you get from pickups. So say 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x, 2.5x, etc or something like that. (I'd probably play on 1.75x myself)

And just curious, is there any way to change the SpawnFilter aka difficulty level on the fly? Maybe for the next level you load or something? That would be interesting if it's doable.

One more kooky question, could this mod work in conjunction with a custom mapinfo skillsetting?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

My question, does changing weapon damage instead of monster health really do the same thing? Since weapons do different levels of damage, might this mess with balance stuff? Or something? Would this make a rocket launcher more overpowered than other weapons for example?
Decreasing weapon damage is pretty much equal to increasing monster health. You have to hit more to kill it. It doesn't bring as much overkill as you'd think if you use empowering values. That's why I added even more customisation values in the latest update - to be able to fine-tune better.
Also I don't see the option to change weapon damage in the zdoom Skill_definition page, how did you arrive at the idea to do weapon damage instead of monster health?
The mighty might of ACS. :P
I did that because changing monster health for every monster is hard, and it would only work with vanilla monsters, without any compatibility patches. Instead, I decided to change the weapon damage due to the fact that the player is Always there, no matter if he has different properties in DECORATE. The actor properties I've changed should not conflict with any mods. I'm saying "should not" because it Might, but the chance that a mod will change the same properties for the same actor is very small.
Also, does this not include the options to customize ammo and health pickup amounts?
Because I am not using MAPINFO and ACS doesn't have ammofactor change functions. I do not want to use MAPINFO to define those because it may conflict with other mods that use the "clearskills" command which basically removes all custom skills. Pointless, ain't it?
And just curious, is there any way to change the SpawnFilter aka difficulty level on the fly?
You can use the "skill" console command to change it for the next level.
I can also make a submenu that changes the skill CVAR without the need for commands, but it won't give much information since it'll be from 0 to n. Adding descriptions such as "Hurt me plenty" or "Nightmare!" will only be true for vanilla, since any mod that adds custom difficulties like "Hurr durr me plenty" will not match the ones in the submenu. So that's another "no".
One more kooky question, could this mod work in conjunction with a custom mapinfo skillsetting?
Yep! I mentioned it in the FAQ and in the main post like twice. This mod works with all mods and all maps. Due to the way I have designed it, it may not have fancy stuff like custom ammo regen or custom health pickup, but it works with Everything. You can jam 50 other mods in your load order and then this mod, and it won't have any conflicts! It's all about sacrificing some to give a lot more.

Many of the suggestions here seem to be too advanced for ACS, and implementing them otherwise will cost me compatibility. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but...WFDS, lol.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I fucking love this mod. it is the best mod ever PERIOD.

seriously though it is the best mod. so useful.
oftimes i find mods too hard (plutonia is one of these) lower difficulty makes it stale and boring as the tough fights become easy and the rest of the maps are just empty. as such when playing maps I find too hard I loose the will to finish megawads as the thought of starting over on another difficulty when you're like 12 maps in and doing it all over and over again just becomes crap.
this customiser has made my gaming experience so much better. all the monsters powereups and weapons you should have, just tweak the damage up or down as you need. and the fact it can be scaled back up/down, on the fly is a stroke of genius...
I have needed this for a LONG time now. I just cant say enough good things about it. serioiusly everyone, dl this now and put it at the front of your load order! :wub:

ok gush over :oops:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Spoiler:
This.

This is the attitude that motivates me to work on this mod. Big thanks for the positive feedback! I hope you all enjoy the mod as much as this fella.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Regeneration of ammunition only works with the original ammunition Vanilla?

I tested on a mod with custom ammunition but not regenerates but the health worked.

I really enjoyed your mod. Very promising. :wub:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Hmm, the ammo regen basically gives a backpack every n seconds. If it doesn't regenerate anything, it might be because the custom ammo does not have Inventory.BackpackAmount DECORATE entry. I may be wrong, though. It Should work with any and all types of ammo. Going to test.

EDIT: Tested with a mod that uses custom ammo. It works. The issue is probably what I described.
Last edited by Accensus on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I think I've found my ideal settings: 2.0x player weapon damage and nothing else. I'm actually able to put up a fight on HMP now. (Did I ever mention I suck?)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Hehe. Glad it worked out for you, Weasel. :)
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

I want to be crazy overpowered.

How about adding weapon damage options past x3? :p
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Will consider for next update.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Updated. Added even more damage options, for all your damage taking/dealing needs. I suppose this update should scratch everyone's desire for even more overkill. If you really want to really deal really amazing damage, go try Russian Overkill, lol. I don't foresee any damage value updates in the near future, but who knows...

For the record, I kill the cyberdemon on x10.0 damage mult with 2-3 hits from super-shotgun.
Kaeoschassis

Re: [Update] CustomDoom v1.1.3

Post by Kaeoschassis »

Yeah this is pretty much never leaving my load order. Honestly, it's not that I'm even using it ALL the time, it's just that I now know I can load up any weapon/monster mods with any mapset, whenever I feel like it, and be able to get it balanced without any fuss. Honestly my desire to randomly just open my zdoom folder and play SOMETHING has doubled since I first found this mod, so thanks for that.

Y'done good, Lud.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”