Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Seidolon

Re: Brutal HeXen and Heretic RPG - Version 1!!!!!!!!!

Post by Seidolon »

That's really strange. Are you sure that you don't just have a full inventory or something? Remember that 16 is the maximum inventory capacity for artifacts in heretic.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

I think, i wanted mean the Crystal Vial (blue right?), so yeah, you can't take it at the beginning because you are level 1 so you dont have the max HP. :)
About the level up, what do we win exactly, hp but also, more defense or?... I have finished 1 episode, i didnt notice the things...

EDIT: Oh...the red rain" of the tomed Hell Staff is not there anymore....Is it possible to add the "spikes ball" of the tomed Dragon Claw or the "red rain of the tomed Hell staff in a way ?
It was the mark of Heretic, the tomed version of those weapons are cool but seem a bit more generic, the tomed hell staff in brutal mod is just a spread, right ?
In Heretic, its an epic red rain.... same for the tomed dragon claw, Knight Spikes balls (kind of)
Do you want add them in the future :?: (like, with the alt or level up?)

I like a lot this project, but i think, the tome of power and original" strong weapons (specially the red rain) is the mark of Heretic and make it not generic :)

EDIT2: I was able to test all the weapon (im at e2m2), and omg, the Firemace is really badass, it's exactly what i wanted if there was a remake of Heretic or something, it's now like a true Mini-Grenade Launcher and it's so violent! Also, with the Tome Of Power, you did it perfectly!!! It becomes a Mini Fragmentation-Grenade Launcher and the way you made it is really epic and original! The Phoenix Rod is pretty cool too, in fact, i wasnt sure about that but you have modified the ammo bar type, and it's a good idea so i suppose you have did the same for the dragon claw, i noticed i still had enough ammo to shot, but i wasnt sure about the system.

So yeah, i have only 2 thought about the mod, need to buff a little the dragon claw and the gauntlets.....and maybe add the Spikes Balls/Red Rain who were really a good thing in heretic? :)
Awesome mod and system again!
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

The current tomed version for the hellstaff is a placeholder. I also might do some changes to the dragonclaw tomed mode too. The RPG system doesn't do much now, but it is going to be a lot more useful later once I get more things implemented into the mods.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Ah ok i see! Very cool then, thanks!

Also, the jump of the SabreClaw is really cool, it makes them really more dangerous and more original! =)

EDIT: Ah, i have put the autoaim a little more" (sorry for my english), like "Low" and i was able to hit better with the Dragon Claw, so i suppose, it's because the aim of Dragon Claw Shot is not totaly "precis" because it's very fast, right?
I played it with trying to be more precis with the "Low" Aim (like against the Were Dragon), it's effective, yes! ^^

So yeah, let's play it and can't wait to see more stuff for this mod! :D

Also, how do i do exactly a "batch" file, i tried some things, but it doesnt work..can we add bots or some parameters with gzdoom in multiplayer? Maybe, i should wait a Zandronum version before hosting it in some videogames/manga festivals.... :geek: (because it's very easy to use for multiplayer!)

EDIT2: ok , the batch file work ! Online will work then, thx !
In fact, i did a shortcut of gzdoom and i have "right clicked > property > Target : gzdoom -iwad heretic.wad -host 3 -deathmatch -file h-duel.wad BrutalHereticRPG_V1.pk3 lights.pk3 brightmaps.pk3 +map MAP01
I must test it with 2 pc... but i think it will work, cool.

Do you think I can host this game for the next festival (Japan Expo South in France, one of the biggest one!) with Brutal Heretic even without the things who need to be added? :)
beefjerky26

Post by beefjerky26 »

Ok, thanks, so my max hp is 80 to start? I forgot about the rpg elements.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Oh yeah, that. I thought you were talking about the quartz flasks. The max HP that was generated at the start of the game was apparently 80, however possible values range from 70 to 85 for Heretic's player class.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

At e2m7, i noticed i can keep more than 1 items for the next map (in normal heretic, if you finish a map with 3 tomes of power, you will have 1 for the next map, but no wing of wrath at all).
I noticed that only now, i was curious, was it intended? Well, the game is harder than the normal heretic in smite meister, can't imagine how can be Black plague hehe.....so yeah, the fact we dont lose all the items is a cool thing, it can help..... x)
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Yeah that's intentional. I always remember hating that about the original game and thinking that it was such a stupid concept.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Sure, it's better ^^
I was happy to have my items for the next maps in the 3th episode...
Do you think it's necessary to add more new IA/animations, like in brutal doom, like you did for the SabreClaw? Exemple, the Ophidian looks to be the same.

What is your "line" to make this mod ? But for now, it's really solid and coherent ! :wink: :)
The sabreclaw jump is not too hard to dodge, just keep distance from him. The Were Dragon is really more dangerous now, dat splash damage x)

For the Gauntlets, what about if you add a stun or a way to keep distance from the enemies? I remember, with zandronum, i can use the gauntlets and "walk/run back", its helpful to kill the golems with it, with a "vanilla" way, you can't escape when you use it because it's like if the gauntlets are stuck on the enemy You attack, so the golems can hit you.... (it was a problem with the original version i think)

anyway, Keep up good work! :)
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

I remember SgtMarkIV was testing the weapons for the mage ... you can see from this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlziRu-nsM

P.S.
I think you should put a quick button for grenades
Seidolon

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 2 : Hexen Fighter Dem

Post by Seidolon »

A Version 2 Fighter Demo for Hexen is now available!
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Basic Changelog
Enjoy!!!

Download Link in OP
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

By Kravnos' hairy mammaries, a new version!

I just gave it a playthrough, and it's as satisfying as ever. Here're my impressions:

Pros:
+Nice new hud
+I really like the starting weapon choice, it seems to be geared towards further differentiating your character's playstyle, which is nice.
+The gem mace looks, and feels, really nice to use.
+New dynamic lights look quite pretty.
+Torch is cool
+Bishops are fairer now, and have that delectable fleshy thunk when you hit them
+Centaurs and Slaughtaurs seem to be using their shield attack less often, which is nice.
+I noticed you changed the "back" part of the Falcon Shield pickup. Kudos on that.
+Quick Flechettes are very useful
+Ranged fire on weapons 1 is nice, and convenient as it gives another ranged option
+Nice variation with the wildlife generator
+Weapons feel stronger in general, which is of course what you'd want when you play as a bloodthirsty metal barbarian

Cons:
-Torch, cool as it may be, is useless
-Gem mace drains too little HP to be a viable "tanking" weapon
-Afrits keep flying way away from melee range, up to the "ceiling" of the map
-Quietus' main steel feels flimsy
-Those goddamned bats...
-Dat game breaking bug at The Gibbet, map23, is still there.

Suggestions:
*Increasing the amount of health drained by the gem mace could make it a more viable weapon for players who want a tank character
*Is it possible to make the torch "replace" the shield, rather than be a weapon on its own? That could give it actual usefulness, rather than being a gimmick
*The Flechettes seem to be weaker, and take longer to throw, which reduces their combat viability, I'd recommend making the animation quicker and upping their damage somewhat
*I'd recommend increasing both the power and swinging speed of Quietus' primary fire, as it's useless compared to your starting weapon. Perhaps you could link these increases in power to levels such as 12, and 15, to give the player further incentive to keep leveling up.
*Afrits not flying skywards would be a good fix
*Is there anything that could be done to fix that room in the Gibbet? It's properly game breaking, that part can't be completed without the use of cheats.

Overall, it's been really enjoyable, and even though it's quite early in its development, it's satisfying to see ettins flying in chunks and, most importantly, it's so damned fun. You're doing a great job!

As an aside, a couple weeks ago you made a post in Nash's randomly generated dungeon thread, where you made a Hexen themed adaptation using an unreleased version of this mod (I recall you showed the gem mace and torch there,) is that going to be a project related to Brutal Hexen? Because a Brutal Hexen Roguelike RPG would be, quite seriously, badass.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

I'll increase the mace's draining power if it would be better.

I've actually been wanting to have the torch as a secondary weapon like the shield, where you can switch between the two, depending on the situation. The torch is also very useful for taking out pesky bats and spiders, which the other weapons have difficult time doing.

The flechettes being weaker is actually a bug. When I was adding the new fire death for the evergreen tree, I changed the flechettes to have a DamageType of "Fire", when it was previously "Explosives". All of the enemies had a DamageFactor of 3.5 for the "Explosives" DamageType, so it should do 3.5 times as much damage as it does now, which I will fix in a bug fix update tomorrow probably. The reason it takes longer to throw the flechettes is because the weapons properly lower and raise before and after throwing the flechettes, so it's an unfortunate biproduct of making it look better.

The quietus will be indeed fixed up some more. It is probably the least modified of all the fighter's weapons right now, so it has room for improvements.

The stupid afrits are very annoying, so I'll look into what causes them to fly up and fix it.

The gibbet's game-breaking glitch is somewhat bypassable if you save before entering the axe door room I think. I'm pretty sure it happens when you kill the chaos serpents too quickly (the ones on the throne), so kill them one at a time, and wait a few seconds before killing the next one.

About the Dungeon MiniMod I made on nash's thread, I do plan on continuing it. Nash didn't appreciate me posting a project of mine on his thread though, and he kindly asked me to remove it. I'm going to try to make my own dungeon mod using my own code.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

The stupid afrits are very annoying, so I'll look into what causes them to fly up and fix it.
I hope you read my feedback post on here, that plus some other things were also mentioned in it. And I do hope you take some of my suggestions into consideration, especially the Quietus.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Yeah, I read your feedback. I like some of the ideas you have like charging the Quietus's alt-fire. I've got a lot I'm doing right now, but I'll try to take everybody's thoughts into consideration.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”