Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Seidolon

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 3 Fighter Demo

Post by Seidolon »

AfroDemon562 wrote:Use latest GZDoom for the full experience. Using GZDoom's 2.3.0 and later versions sure give a fatal error. Anyways, cool mod. I love that fighter demo!
Thanks, I updated the OP.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Seidolon wrote:Hey guys, so I've been trying to get Sergeant Mark IV to resume progress on this mod. I haven't been very motivated to get much more progress on this project done, so I've been trying to get the attention of the original author, but I can't seem to contact him at all. I really want this mod to stay alive and well. Does anyone know how I could contact him? I've tried messaging his youtube account and his doomworld account but he isn't replying to anything.
Sarge is most active on FaceBook in his Brutal Doom page.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Well I sent him a message on his Brutal Doom facebook page almost a week ago, and no response yet.
KingazRandom

Post by KingazRandom »

Hey there Seidolon, i know im brand new here, but i recently have been getting stuck into the brutal mods myself, Its not Official obviously, but i have been working on my own version of brutal/rpg Heretic mod. It still needs alot of work as well, but i have focused more on the brutality vs enemies, copied in the headshot/legshot system and made a whole bunch of new death sprites, destroyable corpses and whatnot. There are fatalities as well, however not for all enemies just yet and is reliant on "Cut" damage, so if you dont want the sword, youll have to change that over to something else. Its intended to be a personal mod and i didnt really plan on publishing, but if you think its any good, Feel free to take any sprites/code from here and use it as you want. Most of it is from BrutalDoom anyways so i cant really take credit for anything codewise. hopefully it runs ok, Ive been running it on GZDoom 2.3.0 , sent to you in a pm.
Last edited by KingazRandom on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I think it would be most appropriate if you asked the original owner of the mod for permission to post your version.
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

Seidolon wrote:Well I sent him a message on his Brutal Doom facebook page almost a week ago, and no response yet.
you must contact him in PM on facebook.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Gabbuz85 wrote:
Seidolon wrote:Well I sent him a message on his Brutal Doom facebook page almost a week ago, and no response yet.
you must contact him in PM on facebook.
That doesn't work unless you are friends with him, cus random messages only pop up on the activity list that nobody ever checks. I had a friend of mine attempt to message him for you, so be on the lookout for a response.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It's a shame he dropped this. Heretic and Hexen needed a makeover way more than Doom ever did.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

-Ghost- wrote:It's a shame he dropped this. Heretic and Hexen needed a makeover way more than Doom ever did.
He's going by popularity vote, Heretic and especially Hexen aren't as popular in the Doom community.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hopefully he'll have time to go back to them someday. BD seems pretty much feature complete at this point other than bugs and the messy coding.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

So... Not realizing what this was, I started work on a very similar project a couple days ago. The idea was to do what Knee Deep in ZDoom did for Doom for Hexen. I've got a few new features halfway-built, a redone map of Winnowing Hall, and a few more concept maps for open world exploration.

Would it be possible to bring me into your workflow?
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Yeah it would be possible. What kind of work do you have in mind? That idea for a hexen project sounds really cool btw.
RockstarRaccoon

Well, to give an example, I made this...

http://realm667.com/index.php/en/forum- ... -mage#5616

It's a fire attack for the mage (with the ring on the correct finger, unlike yours)

I took the vines from Blasphemer, drew 2 flaming versions, made a 3D wall out of them, and made attacks made with this and the Firestorm set it on fire, after a second or two of which it descends into the ground, burning away and revealing the path.

That vine wall is near the end of Winnowing Hall, and leads to an area of the graveyard which has a set of keys which opens the staircase into the Crypt, which is how the player first accesses the Necropolis. Yes: I expect the player to see that on the way out of Winnowing Hall and into the town, play through Shadow Wood to get the Fire attack (which is essential for progression in Shadow Wood), go through Hesresiarch's Seminary and Castle of Grief to get the keys, and THEN backtrack from the Castle of Grief, through the Town, to Winnowing Hall, and use the keys to get into the final level.

I was going to add a fire-mace to the Fighter, unsure of how I'd go about that, when I poked into your files for the shield and saw you have WAY more of that sort of thing than I expected from "Brutal" Hexen. Now I want to scrap my project and work with you.

Edit
The next (and final) planned addition for Winnowing Hall, was these 3 rooms I have off to the right on the second floor, hidden (poorly) behind stained glass of the 3 classes, which contain "class items": the Fighter gets a shield which is equipped in the left hand and can be used to block and bash at all times, the Cleric gets a "holy relic" which allows him to at-will cast stuff like "Lay on Hands" and "Illuminate", and the Mage gets a magic spellbook which he flips through with alt-fire and casts spells from with normal-fire.

I was also about to add "Light Mana" and "Dark Mana" which drops from killing monsters as a way to power the Cleric and Mage's spells, among other things. I was thinking of making the monsters be the main source of health and ammo, like in Metroid Doom, and possibly adding a "loot corpse" type mechanic eventually so the player can be fed potions and stuff that way.

I'll stop worrying about that for now and just add my finishing touches and post what I have so you can see.
RockstarRaccoon

So...
I played around with your latest release, and there are a few things I'd really like to utilize, a few visual effects which just make the game better, and a few things I'd like to avoid. I like that you've added a spell system, what looks like a relatively minor combat-experience progression system (which I was considering but probably wouldn't have bothered to make because of how those systems pretty much MURDERIZE proper progression), and new weapons which I'm very interested in. I don't like how you've overrode most of the assymetrical class-based gameplay which makes Hexen so unique in lieu of a more Call Of Duty styled one, and I didn't like that the one new enemy you added seems to be a randomly spawning Hexen 2 spider: I was going to add that same enemy, but not use it this heavily. I also thought the amount of extra gore was so over the top that I'm worried it might detract from other stuff, because cutting a crying Ettin's head off and seeing a geyser of blood made me laugh.

All that being said, I'm really interested in talking with you about working on this project, and I'll post the Winnowing Hall remake after I sit down and add the last few things...
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

The hexen 2 spider is actually just one of many wildlife enemies that randomly generate from decoration objects. They're not actually placed in the map, but just spawned in by already existing objects. You also have the option to turn off the wildlife in the menu, unless that's in the build that I haven't released yet.

I'm planning on uploading a video to youtube and posting it here soon showing another hexen project that I have had sitting dormant for quite some time. I think a lot of people will be impressed by what I have to show off there. Unfortunately, gzdoom's being a prick, so it might be a while before I record the video. If you like what you see in that video, you can feel free to help out with that too. I'll probably need a lot of people to help out with that project anyways, because it's gonna be a big one.

EDIT:
I decided to man up and just record the damn video.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”