[REL/FINAL] GZDoom-GPL 2.4 - now with software renderer

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom-GPL (indie game engine): SOFTWARE RENDERING IS BA

Post by Graf Zahl »

I would appreciate if you started to push fixes to GZDoom's 3.0-work branch instead. I did the merge so that this jumble of different features being developed in different repos comes to an end. Now I can again sort out a merge that shouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

If you want to put a fix on your master branch you can do the same as I: Cherry pick it. But it makes very little sense to again work on diverging code bases.

EDIT: Never mind, I got them now.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I mirrored them already: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/commits/3.0_work

I wasn't sure whether to do a full merge or a series of picks. Either way, the way I see it it doesn't matter where the work comes from as long as it's properly duplicated. The reason why I haven't pulled 3.0 back to my master is because it contains the GZDoom rename.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If we try to track "where things came from", have a look at the commit history from the beginning of last year. The commit graph looks like Spaghetti - it's totally incomprehensible with all those branches. After I had enough of that I started rebasing all pull requests because a linear graph is far easier to read and track if you need to do a bisect to locate an error.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That was part of why I rebased dpJudas's fixes for you. I was trying to keep it clean.
Nash

Re: GZDoom-GPL (indie game engine)

Post by Nash »

Due to source code-related technical problems (on my part I guess), I had to revert adding QZDoom's software renderer into GZDoom-GPL. The dev builds now no longer have the software renderer. Such is the nature of unstable dev builds.

I might figure out how to re-add it back later.

Sorry...
Nash

Re: GZDoom-GPL (indie game engine)

Post by Nash »

GZDoom-GPL 2.4 has been released.

Has all the official features of GZDoom 2.4, plus one important addition:

Software rendering is now available in GZDoom-GPL 2.4!

Thanks to dpJudas and Rachael for allowing me to include it. :)

ANNOUNCEMENT

The reason GZDoom-GPL was created in the first place, was because I wanted to work on a GZDoom-based game, free from licensing issues. At first, some drastic changes were necessary - removing the software renderer, removing the OPL music player, things like that. This was from a time when GZDoom had much less active developers working on it, and no one was willing (or had the time) to tackle the various core issues that were problematic to the ZDoom codebase.

Things are different now, and with that, I'd like to announce that from this day onwards, GZDoom-GPL will be discontinued.

There have been talks behind the scenes to GPL'ize GZDoom some time in future. And as such, I see no point in trying to maintain GZDoom-GPL any longer as it will become obsolete.

I have already switched back to using regular GZDoom for my game's codebase and the motivation to further maintain GZDoom-GPL does not exist anymore.

The source code will stay on Github, for historical and educational purposes. The binaries will stay on my Dropbox as long as Dropbox exists.

There will be no more new devbuilds, and the final release binaries for Windows are on the Github Release page, as well as on my Dropbox. Source code for GZDoom-GPL is also available at those two locations.

If you are making a game with GZDoom-GPL, you can use GZDoom-GPL 2.4.

This thread will continue to be up for the time being, in case anyone would like to discuss licensing shenanigans, but otherwise, this project is now haulted as of this post.

I would like to thank these wonderful people who've provided direct programming support throughout the time I maintained this project. You lot are the real MVPs.

- Marisa "Randi" Heit
- Graf Zahl
- LavenderMoon
- _mental_

And a huge special thanks to Rachael and dpJudas for letting GZDoom-GPL use QZDoom's software renderer.

Happy game-making!
VGA

Re: [REL/FINAL] GZDoom-GPL 2.4 - now with software renderer

Post by VGA »

It's the good kind of project discontinuation :D
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Thank you Nash for all your work within it!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Whether you have lost your motivation to continue this or not - I think a lot of people will find this useful. It's always nice to know that I have something I can merge in if I want a head start to GPL'ize the current version of GZDoom. :)
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Do we know when the main branch will be GPL'ed?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No - that's still a ways off right now.

We still need to finalize a midi playback implementation that works without FMOD or jumping through hoops before we can move forward with that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Also the OPL emulation needs to be refactored to not use MUSLIB code.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:No - that's still a ways off right now.

We still need to finalize a midi playback implementation that works without FMOD or jumping through hoops before we can move forward with that.

_mental_ already did some work here.
It will now fall back on system MIDI playback both on Windows and macOS, and OPL on Linux.
Interestingly, by writing a low level synth for ZDoom it even manages to get around the Windows volume screwup. I newer knew that Randi managed to solve this problem that still plagues far too much software and prompted the most awful workarounds.

On the audio front there's actually two problems left to solve: Implement loop tags for music and replace the Muslib code. The problem with Muslib is a bit annoying: There is enough code out there but it's all strict GPL, meaning that it cannot be used in a gradual refactoring without some of the zealots crying foul.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The thing would be to just cut the MUSLIB code out in a branch, chainsaw-fix any compile error that arise (code doesn't need to be functional at that point, the point is just to make sure there's no remaining references to MUSLIB functions, structures, or constants), switch the license, then start restoring functionality by using GPL code from somewhere else. Once the OPL emulation works again, the branch can be merged.

Loop tags for music and sounds need to be solved first, though. Perhaps kchris could help with that.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Gez wrote:Loop tags for music and sounds need to be solved first, though. Perhaps kchris could help with that.
When this issues arose I investigated it a bit.

It's possible support loops to using OpenAL-Soft extension. Bidirectional loop needs to be handled manually but I cannot say how simple it will be.
Although this is not the showstopper here.

Affected file formats, ogg/vorbis and flac, are handled via libsndfile.
This library has no support for custom tags in comments. At least I found no means to get them.
Moreover, there seems to be some kind of issue with loading of comments from ogg/vorbis: the latest stable build ignores them completely while FMOD parses them correctly.

To summarize: I doubt that we can use libsndfile without custom modifications to handle tags we need.
Alternatively, we can use ogg/vorbis/flac libraries directly, with additional explicit dependencies in CMake.
However all sound/music files in given formats will be parsed twice: once by libsndfile and once with our code that loads tags.

I think it will be nice if someone else will check this too.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”