[REL/FINAL] GZDoom-GPL 2.4 - now with software renderer

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Shadow Hog

Re: [src+bin] GZDoom-GPL - GPL'ed GZDoom for indies

Post by Shadow Hog »

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing some sort of colormap-based lighting solution for the hardware renderer that mimics the software renderer's lighting, even more than the existing "Software" lighting mode already does, right down to the banding. Maybe do some linear interpolation between the different levels in the COLORMAP lump for intermediary steps (though this would presumably still look kinda garish).
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Nash wrote:Image

Half of this image is the software renderer, the other half is OpenGL. Can you tell, from a quick glance, which is which?

If you don't want dynamic lights, don't add them into your project. Lights and filters has always been optional. Stock GZDoom has no lights and the filtering can be turned off in the options menu.
That's easy, right one. No pixelation/palette banding in the left one.
darkhog

Re: [source] GZDoom-GPL - GPL'ed GZDoom for indies

Post by darkhog »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:I honestly can't see why anyone who isn't running vanilla would take an alpha-less render with Z-axis scaling problems and color limits over OpenGL.
For the authentic colormap, coloring over distance, and unique shading and lighting?

There's plenty of reasons to prefer Software over Hardware. That OGL is the only thing supported is more than understandable (THANKS KEN SILVERMAN), but it'd still be fantastic if a coding wizard with too much time on his hands was able to whip up something. Nigh impossible, mind, but still.
Ultimately the player should be able to pick and choose how they want to experience it, not have us force it on them.
Well, Doom engine is GPL'd and last time I've checked it contains a software renderer. Would need to port it all over again and then implement missing parts (3d floors/slopes/decals) manually, without Ken's code, but it is doable.

//edit: Quake1 also had a software renderer AFAIK so part of rendering code from it could be lifted as well. Obviously it wouldn't be straight copy-paste due to differences of the two engines, but it'd be doable with some elbow grease.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Good luck, and have fun! It took ZDoom 17 years to have 3D floors, slopes, decals and DECORATE, I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could do it in half the time!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

darkhog wrote://edit: Quake1 also had a software renderer AFAIK so part of rendering code from it could be lifted as well. Obviously it wouldn't be straight copy-paste due to differences of the two engines, but it'd be doable with some elbow grease.
Vavoom tried that some years ago. If I remember correctly, it didn't end well.
JPL

Post by JPL »

If the limited palette is the main difference people can identify in that side-by-side comparison, has anyone tried writing a shader to quantize a full color frame to the Doom palette? Is this easy to hack in with the current GZDoom shader situation?
Nash

Post by Nash »

JPL: I suggested this to Graf some years ago and he said he wasn't interested and the whole reason to have a full coloured renderer is to not have banding... :mrgreen:
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

jpl its not just the limited pallete, its also the horrendous sprite clipping. a while ago gooberman was working on a vanilla faithful opengl rederer, but i dont know if he's still working on it

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-por ... g-library/
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

raymoohawk wrote:jpl its not just the limited pallete, its also the horrendous sprite clipping. a while ago gooberman was working on a vanilla faithful opengl rederer, but i dont know if he's still working on it

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-por ... g-library/
Looks interesting. Kinda feel bad that Nash is unwilling to decouple from GZDoom mainline and pick up this rendering engine (even if it's in stasis, code can still be picked up and worked on again).
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

How about you go bug the GLOOME devs then? They're perfectly happy to decouple from the GZDoom codebase and I hear they love to add every little thing people ask them.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't call the shots, I will follow whatever Graf Zahl wants for his engine. I'm not the programmer here. Also, last I checked, Gooberman is U L T R A B U S Y (he works at Remedy making triple A games, for example Quantum Break) and realistically we probably won't even see anything usable/runnable from that library of his for a very, very long time!
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

That's why I've sent him a PM on Doomworld asking if he'd be able to part with the sources if he can't develop it for one reason or another. Anyway, yeah.

Also I've thought GLOOME was abandoned GPL fork and only GZDOOM-GPL is left. Guess I was wrong.
Nash

Post by Nash »

On a slightly offtopic note; the new DOOM has classic levels as hidden secrets, and when you enter these areas, you actually get to see what banded shading would look like in a full-colored renderer. I thought that was pretty cool and can imagine how GZDoom would look like with a banded shader.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

darkhog wrote://edit: Quake1 also had a software renderer AFAIK so part of rendering code from it could be lifted as well. Obviously it wouldn't be straight copy-paste due to differences of the two engines, but it'd be doable with some elbow grease.
"some elbow grease" is a bit of an understatement here
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

JPL wrote:If the limited palette is the main difference people can identify in that side-by-side comparison, has anyone tried writing a shader to quantize a full color frame to the Doom palette? Is this easy to hack in with the current GZDoom shader situation?
Probably needs a post-process deferred-esque pipeline to do it right:
Spoiler: drowsy shader theories

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”