[Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Post by Kizoky »

Looks promising. the .wad/.pk3 will be hardcoded into the .exe? This will be a problem to me If I can't look at the source code If I want to learn something new.
The ZDoom stuff (ZDoom.pk3) is hardcoded into the .exe instead, and we can pinpoint which .pk3 or .wad will have to load the engine?
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

There's no need to change the .exe to detect the iwad, the only thing required is to change the iwadinfo.txt inside of engine.pk3 (I think it's zdoom.pk3 inside of zdoom)

Just an example, this is how Gloome detects the cursed maze as an iwad

Code: Select all

{
Name = "Cursed Maze - Portugues"
Autoname = "CursedMazePT"
Game = "Doom"
Config = "Doom"
Mapinfo = "mapinfo/doom2.txt"
MustContain = "CM000", "CMPT0"
BannerColors = "fc fc 00", "a8 00 00"
Load = "CM.wad", "brightmaps.pk3"
}

IWad
{
Name = "Cursed Maze - English"
Autoname = "CursedMazeEN"
Game = "Doom"
Config = "Doom"
Mapinfo = "mapinfo/doom2.txt"
MustContain = "CM000","CMEN0"
BannerColors = "fc fc 00", "a8 00 00"
Load = "CM.wad", "brightmaps.pk3"
}

Names
{
"bfgdoom2.wad"
"cursedmazept.wad"
"cursedmazeen.wad"
"doom2bfg.wad"
"doom2f.wad"
"doom2.wad"
}
I just wanted to add an heretic like loading screen, I think I'll just need to change the Game = Doom to Game = Heretic (and also, change alot of stuff inside of Heretic config...

This is the part that makes confuse to me, I still couldn't found how to load that ascii animation, is that hardcoded on the binary code or on the engine.pk3?
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

KiLerZolika wrote:Looks promising. the .wad/.pk3 will be hardcoded into the .exe?
No, what gives you that idea? It uses a pk3 named engine.pk3, which functions just as gzdoom.pk3 does.
KiLerZolika wrote:This will be a problem to me If I can't look at the source code If I want to learn something new.
You are required by the GPL to distribute the source code with the (compiled) program.
Mikk- wrote:Just curious, what features does this currently have that (g)zdoom do not?
In order of when I (or a contributor) added them:
A_ChangeFlag in ACS (As ChangeFlag), A_GiveScoreToTarget (along with the Score property to add a default to it for that actor and inherited actors).
Cheats are now handled by KEYCONF, instead of being hardcoded. There are some new (and modified) CCMDs for pulling this off. You can do this for iddqd:

Code: Select all

addcheat "god; setplayerhealth 100" iddqd doom
GAMEINFO now has a TICRATE property, you can guess what that does. GetTicRate is in ACS now.
GetActorFloorTexture returns (you guessed it) the floor texture under an actor. (There is also GetActorCeilingTexture.)
Some new CVARs, cl_morphbob (lets the player's weapon and head bob while morphed).
SetPlayerBobMul will allow you to change the player's movement bob in ACS. There is also, of course, GetPlayerBobMul.
cl_facekiller disables (or enables) facing the actor that killed you.
There is a new flag, +PLAYER.NOFALLDEATH, that disables falling down to the ground when you die, allowing you to make custom death sequences with whatever.
PickActor's last parameter is now a bit flag, and it has two flags as of now: PAF_FORCETID (already in zdoom) and PAF_RETURNTID (which allows you to do more with the function).
Last edited by Marrub on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

wildweasel wrote:I don't remember saying anything about projects being limited to this thread. Just tag it in the title.
I asked you about this a week ago when I asked about the viability of posting GLOOME and related projects here.
If I misunderstood, I deeply apologize.
KiLerZolika wrote:Looks promising. the .wad/.pk3 will be hardcoded into the .exe? This will be a problem to me If I can't look at the source code If I want to learn something new.
The ZDoom stuff (ZDoom.pk3) is hardcoded into the .exe instead, and we can pinpoint which .pk3 or .wad will have to load the engine?
Nope, the .pk3 you're thinking of is engine.pk3, which contains all of the ZDoom-esque information, such as predefined actor classes, default menu data, icons, default sounds, and etc, and more importantly contains an IWADINFO lump, which people can edit to include whatever extra file they want that contains the game data.

Also, gonna be honest ibm, extremely worried that you have something to go already after only three days of development with the engine. Hopefully it's something that you've put a lot of work into already, last thing we want is for the public's first impression of the engine to be for low-effort cashgrabs.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Action Doom 2 is almost perfectly playable. There are rendering errors (software hacks) in some places, but it everything works.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Marrub wrote:A_ChangeFlag in ACS (As ChangeFlag)
GetActorFloorTexture returns (you guessed it) the floor texture under an actor. (There is also GetActorCeilingTexture.)
PickActor's last parameter is now a bit flag, and it has two flags as of now: PAF_FORCETID (already in zdoom) and PAF_RETURNTID (which allows you to do more with the function).
I'm not sure about the other features, but these could possibly be added to ZDoom.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

TerminusEst13 wrote: Also, gonna be honest ibm, extremely worried that you have something to go already after only three days of development with the engine. Hopefully it's something that you've put a lot of work into already, last thing we want is for the public's first impression of the engine to be for low-effort cashgrabs.
Cursed Maze started the development in 2012, the main idea was to do as much thing by myself, I ended up doing voice acting, sound effects, monster sprites and even some part of the map 02 music.
Also it was a challenge to make an iwad using gzdoom and being as much correct as possible (not stealing people work or using copyrighted stuff [Every dud over credits got emailed asking for permition to use their resources...])

And now that there's Gloome, I decided to give it a try, two days to try to compile it and also two days to adapt some things (and also to replace a copyrighted music)...

Also if you want some big guy to Market, talk with wadaholic, he already saw your engine and he actually liked (total chaos guy)

Cursed Maze is not an amazing Project, I actually dislike the voice acting, I may reworkg it, but the Idea is to be an idie like game, where you may have just one map for fast gameplay
Example of People playing it...

And also I need to fix some stuff, like the ghouls heartbeat are Always loud at higher distancesin gloome, maybe openal has some stuff not well implemented yet...

At last I can tell, Cursed Maze isnt a generic made unity game with missing textures and bad models animation :p
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Double post :S

Will GLOOME comes with freedoom or it may come with another new iwad?
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

ibm5155 wrote:Double post :S

Will GLOOME comes with freedoom or it may come with another new iwad?
Neither. It will be, as usual, up to the user to provide or make an iwad.
jpalomo wrote:
Marrub wrote:A_ChangeFlag in ACS (As ChangeFlag)
I'm not sure about the other features, but these could possibly be added to ZDoom.
I'd hope, but I'd rather not clog zdoom with pull requests :)
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Yeah, Gloom came out just in time for Total Chaos, considering that amount of work Wadaholic've put in it, to be cash rewarded. Does that mean, it's possible for Gloom projects to pass in Steam Greenlight in theory? (dreams dreams dreams)
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

I've been looking at doing something like this for a long time, but you've beat me to it. I do have some developer-specific features I want to add, though, so I might still fork it.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

will those developer specific features include normal maps for sprites :)?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

raymoohawk wrote:will those developer specific features include normal maps for sprites :)?
What effect or point would this have in an engine without any "real" lighting?
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

I didn't realize this thread had more pages and I thought I was bumping it a lot more.

I'll see if I can dig up the Pulsar design document, but from the top of my head:
-Implementation of the controversial ConsoleCommand function and possibly some other insecure or unsafe functions.
-New startup screen options (including a proper image one with/without loadbar and silent startup)
-GAMECONF file that defines which files to load and which features to enable
-Ditch aspect ratio correction across the board (it looks like this can be made configurable now)
-Eventual removal of game-specific code and game-specific resources in base package

This is the first I've heard of GLOOME, and it looks like its goals line up closely with Pulsar. The biggest difference is that I planned to wait for a stable release of GZDoom 2.1, fork that, and forget about keeping the codebase in sync after that point.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

will those developer specific features include "real" lighting :)?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”