[Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Gez

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Post by Gez »

If you can't run Gloome, you're out of luck, either you can't use OpenGL at all or you'd have to go back to something like ZDoomGL...
Legend

Post by Legend »

I figured as much. I was just curious. I got the "not a valid win32 application" error when trying to play. I know the newest gzdoom is on opengl 3.something and I'm still on 1.5 I believe.

I'm still stuck on gzdoom 1.8.6 and winxp. Oh well. One day.

*edit:
I redownloaded this to give it a try and it Turns out that the game is actually semi playable by loading the pk3 files into gzdoom 1.8.6. Though it will not run engine.pk3 without errors. It runs without it but missing some graphics. Haven't tried playing enought yet to see what else is wonky.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

XP might be the problem. The executable may have been built without support for XP, or it may be a 64-bit binary. Which one are you using, exactly?
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

The build system I use does not support Windows XP, yes. I did build with x86 in mind, but I am unsure if it actually runs on x86 windows installations.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Yeah. I'm on a winxp 32 bit system. So won't run natively for me. Even if it did, I have a feeling it still wouldn't run since I don't have opengl 3 which I'm pretty sure gzdoom 1.8.10 uses which I believe gloome is based on.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

GZDoom 1.8.10 (which GLOOME is indeed based on) uses OpenGL 2.x. GZDoom 2.1 uses OpenGL 3.x.
Legend

Post by Legend »

yeah. on an old laptop with mobile intel 945gm express chipset. I believe it only supports as high as opengl 1.4. Oh well. Was just curious if I could get it working somehow.
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

add normal maps: textures named texname_N will be normal maps, textures named texname_D will be textures
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

UsernameAK wrote:add normal maps: textures named texname_N will be normal maps, textures named texname_D will be textures
Is this a suggestion? It sounds like a demand. :?

Also: Implicit filename-based features are a terrible idea. You'd be better off with a definition format to link your diffuse/normal/whatever-in-the-future maps.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

NeuralStunner wrote:
UsernameAK wrote:add normal maps: textures named texname_N will be normal maps, textures named texname_D will be textures
Is this a suggestion? It sounds like a demand. :?

Also: Implicit filename-based features are a terrible idea. You'd be better off with a definition format to link your diffuse/normal/whatever-in-the-future maps.
An extension to TEXTURES or GLDEFS, perhaps?
bchan009

Post by bchan009 »

I just wanted to thank you for making this. I'm an animator/artist and a very light coder who has been trying to make a 2.5d game for a long time.

GameMaker works great but is too weak to do proper 3d without a lot of hacky workarounds, and Unity is too powerful and robust to do something so simple. Not to mention ZDoom already has a lot of the things I want to do built-in so I don't have to go about recreating the wheel.

Took an afternoon yesterday to learn Doombuilder and I'm already well on my way to making what I wanted to.

Thanks again!
Alekv

Post by Alekv »

Tell me please about when a new version beta build GLOOME?
The latest version of August 29 , it was a long time or GLOOME since then has not improved at all?
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Would it be possible to do the following:
  • Replace Zdoom's default Heretic/Hexen compatibility code with Activision/Raven's official GPL Heretic/Hexen Code releases: https://sourceforge.net/projects/heretic/files/
  • Add vanilla IWAD demo compatibility
  • See if you can send the "replacement" portions of the code to the Zandronum development team once they are done.
I'm not asking you to do these things right this second, they are just suggestions for IF you ever update GLOOME to use GZDoom 2.1 as the base.
Gez

Post by Gez »

• A lot of painstaking work, because you'd have to update that code anyway to make it work within ZDoom, but it should be possible. However, it also seems very pointless, what would you gain from doing that?
  • That seems nearly impossible. It'd need a lot of special casing and alternate branching in all core gameplay functions, often falling back to crippled/bugged functions while in demo mode.
  • It's free software, if the Zand developers want to take stuff from GLOOME, they can do it without being spoonfed.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:Would it be possible to do the following:
  • Replace Zdoom's default Heretic/Hexen compatibility code with Activision/Raven's official GPL Heretic/Hexen Code releases: https://sourceforge.net/projects/heretic/files/
  • Add vanilla IWAD demo compatibility
  • See if you can send the "replacement" portions of the code to the Zandronum development team once they are done.
I'm not asking you to do these things right this second, they are just suggestions for IF you ever update GLOOME to use GZDoom 2.1 as the base.
None of these really seem in line with the intent of GLOOME. GZDoom-gpl might be a better target.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”