[Deprecated] Quake-style strafe tilting

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Rayd3r

Re: Quake-style strafe tilting (GZDoom)

Post by Rayd3r »

Can anyone help with increasing the amount that the screen will tilt, I want to make it more intense, someone posted about this previously and someone mentioned a limiter, so I've been going through the code and upping values but it doesn't seem to be working, not sure which part of the code I should change, hopefully someone can give me a hint. Thought I would of figured this out by now but it's got me pretty beat :/
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@Rayd3r
You only need to change a bit this part of code, if I'm not wrong:

Code: Select all

static int strafespeed = 0.0005;
Try to change it with multiples of above value, for example try 0.0025.
Or if you feel too lazy download the attach. :-)
gz-qtilt25.zip
I love this Nash stuff, expecially underwater!
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Rayd3r

Post by Rayd3r »

Thanks for the info on that part but it seems to make it tilt faster, I just wanted to make it so that when it tilts it tilts further to the sides, if you know how I can do that it would be great!
Big C

Post by Big C »

@Nash/Ral22:

For some reason, using the QTilt/Mousetilt pk3s with Smooth Doom causes jerkiness, but NOT when I use them with Hideous Destructor.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Also, I had an idea for an innovative use of camera tilting like this in GZDooM---if you've ever played Unreal, remember the flyby sequence at the title screen, swooping in and around the ancient castle? This would be PERFECT for something like that, provided the tilting could be adjusted smoothly and continuously.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Not sure because I don't have my Doom tools installed yet ever since I formatted and I've just been so busy with another project that I probably will only return to Doom modding around October or so but... perhaps it's related to this change?
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

What does the static keyword in static int strafespeed do? I can't find anything about using static in ACS except a quickly rejected feature suggestion.
jiraia89

Post by jiraia89 »

Will it work with Heretic? I'm not exactly sure how these sorts of things work. Is this to make the screen tilt while strafing? Or did I misunderstand?
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

jiraia89 wrote:Will it work with Heretic? I'm not exactly sure how these sorts of things work. Is this to make the screen tilt while strafing? Or did I misunderstand?
Yes and yes.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Xeotroid wrote:What does the static keyword in static int strafespeed do? I can't find anything about using static in ACS except a quickly rejected feature suggestion.
"C++ designates class variables by the keyword static"
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Ozymandias81 wrote:
Xeotroid wrote:What does the static keyword in static int strafespeed do? I can't find anything about using static in ACS except a quickly rejected feature suggestion.
That... was helpful. Anyway, ACC compiled some code with static integer type inside without problems, so I guess that's one feature without being documented at all (search for "static" on ZDoom wiki, it won't find anything relevant), does anyone know about any other 'hidden' features?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Xeotroid wrote:
Ozymandias81 wrote:
That... was helpful. Anyway, ACC compiled some code with static integer type inside without problems, so I guess that's one feature without being documented at all (search for "static" on ZDoom wiki, it won't find anything relevant), does anyone know about any other 'hidden' features?
From doomwiki.org/wiki/ACS:
ACS is structured much like C/C++
I recommend reading about C/C++ to learn more since more guides for ACS talk about C features and similarities. I wouldn't call it a "hidden feature", it is just something that is done for programming in C/C++.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Yeah, but when you can't find anything about it on the whole wiki... on the other hand you can find loops on the wiki with many pages using them in examples, even though it's a feature from basically any programming language there is, so you could say hey, why not delete those pages, describing the mentioned loops, data types, constants, operators etc.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Xeotroid wrote:Yeah, but when you can't find anything about it on the whole wiki... on the other hand you can find loops on the wiki with many pages using them in examples, even though it's a feature from basically any programming language there is, so you could say hey, why not delete those pages, describing the mentioned loops, data types, constants, operators etc.
Did you try the DOOM wiki as well (not just the ZDOOM wiki as it is sparse)?:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/ACS

It has more info on ACS.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

It talks a lot about original Hexen things only, like key IDs (can be edited in ZDoom), doesnt mention anything new that isn't on the ZDoom wiki and instead of being categorized on multiple pages it's everything on one large page which isn't ideal and some information can be outdated. For instance, they mention the extended ACS just briefly even though it's a standard in ZDoom and probably in Zandronum, too. There is nothing new on that page and guess what they used as a source:
Doom Wiki wrote:
  • This article incorporates text from the open-content ZDoom documentation project article ACS.
So unless they did some research themselves from the source code or just by try and error, it's just a larger overview of ACS's capabilites.
baubb

Post by baubb »

This is AWESOME. Great work! Personally I would have upped the effect a bit but at least it's there.
Last edited by baubb on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”