[Deprecated] Quake-style strafe tilting

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nash

Re: Quake-style strafe tilting (GZDoom)

Post by Nash »

Two discussions I attempted to start to hopefully find the problem and the solution... hasn't been going anywhere though:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51796
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p902919
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Sorry for bothering, but I do not know anything about ACS. I wish to change the limit so that it is heavier and more noticeable. Does the old "open with notepad" trick work or do I need a program to edit the script?
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

VriskaSerket wrote:Sorry for bothering, but I do not know anything about ACS. I wish to change the limit so that it is heavier and more noticeable. Does the old "open with notepad" trick work or do I need a program to edit the script?
You can edit the script with any text editor, but you'll need to have the acc compiler and a program to insert the new script lump into the wad/pk3. I suggest slade3.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Was the jerkiness seriously never fixed? I just now decided to finally try this out using GZDoom 2.2.0 and find that the jerkiness mentioned in the thread was still present when turning the mouse and moving left or right at the same time at 60 FPS. Do I really have to play at 35 FPS to be able to use this without the hiccups? If so, that's unfortunately a deal breaker for me. I was hoping it would pair very well with my Doom 64 TC but not if my screen is constantly jerking around. :(
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't know, I've already moved this thing to ZScript but it's still not quite ready yet. I don't seem to get any more jerkiness.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I've never experienced any jerkiness... unless I did, but didn't know it was jerkiness...

Please describe?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It hasn't caused any jerkiness for me that I'm aware of either. Is there a specific set of circumstances that cause the jerkiness to happen?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Unless the file in the OP is outdated and it was never updated, the jerkiness that I experience is caused specifically by looking left or right with your mouse while also strafing left or right, and apparently from reading in the thread only happens if FPS isn't capped at 35.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Are you certain it isn't because of your hands? Personally, my hands aren't even close to steady enough to have it not look jerky, but with my copy on both GZDoom x64 2.2.0 and 2.4pre-620, testing with a controller for constant turning, I am unable to discern any jerkiness with cl_capfps on or off.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I will upload the new version soon: a unified strafe tilting, movement tilting, death tilting and underwater tilting mod.

Has CVars that you can mess with in the console to control the amount of tilt and things like that. No need to muck around with coding for you.

Fully written in ZScript, because ZScript Is Awesome

I just need to move the code from the PlayerPawn to a CustomInventory, so that mods that don't play well with it can disable my mod by removing the CustomInventory
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Gollgagh wrote:Are you certain it isn't because of your hands?
I've played enough games and GZDoom in general to know that it's not me. It was very noticeable the very moment I ran GZDoom with the tilt mod loaded. There's no question that the jerkiness is being caused by the tilting.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nevander wrote:the jerkiness that I experience is caused specifically by looking left or right with your mouse while also strafing left or right, and apparently from reading in the thread only happens if FPS isn't capped at 35.
Nope, still can't see it. Capped FPS, uncapped FPS, vsync on or off, strafing around like a lunatic and looking left and right.

No matter, it sounds like Nash has a cool update in the works.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Enjay wrote:
Nevander wrote:the jerkiness that I experience is caused specifically by looking left or right with your mouse while also strafing left or right, and apparently from reading in the thread only happens if FPS isn't capped at 35.
Nope, still can't see it. Capped FPS, uncapped FPS, vsync on or off, strafing around like a lunatic and looking left and right.
WTF? What version of the tilt PK3 do you have? The one from the OP? Because something is seriously wrong here. Is there a mouse setting that could be affecting it? Could my mouse be the problem? What is going on...

EDIT: You even said it
Enjay wrote:It's not just you. It seemed OK when I was merely standing still waving the mouse around to have a look, but when I started actually playing, there was definitely a jerkiness to the movement.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well, that's weird. I remember making that post now and, yes, it's the version from the OP but, try as I might, I can no longer get the jerkiness.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Enjay wrote:yes, it's the version from the OP but, try as I might, I can no longer get the jerkiness.
Well FML then. Found another problem that only I have! What joy! :violin:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”