[Deprecated] Quake-style strafe tilting

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Alexandra

Re: Quake-style strafe tilting (GZDoom)

Post by Alexandra »

Just tried the latest.

I like this but still see the same problem I had in the original version, which is bad interactions with mouse movement. When I just move and strafe the tilting effect looks great, but when I start turning at the same time the view will start lurching and snapping as if transition frames are being skipped.

Anyone else see this judder? My GZDoom's running at a solid 144hz refresh rate, if that's relevant. (Maybe some aspect of the mod assumes slower refresh?)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Alexandra wrote:Just tried the latest.

I like this but still see the same problem I had in the original version, which is bad interactions with mouse movement. When I just move and strafe the tilting effect looks great, but when I start turning at the same time the view will start lurching and snapping as if transition frames are being skipped.

Anyone else see this judder? My GZDoom's running at a solid 144hz refresh rate, if that's relevant. (Maybe some aspect of the mod assumes slower refresh?)
The refresh rate is relevant; I get the same issue at 120hz and 60hz. I believe it was said somewhere (maybe on this thread?) that locking the frames at 35 makes the issue go away and it is just how the engine only has 35 ticks to work with each second.

Something like that. Possibly. Yeah.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Ah, here's the post in question. Seems somewhat speculatory.

You're right that it's refresh-related. cl_capfps (35 fps) fixes it, or makes it invisible. But other than purists who wants to play at 35 fps? :) It's quite bracing to see it again after years of 60 fps+ Doom. Funny that I thought that was pretty smooth 20 years ago on my Pentium 90.

Are other people in this thread just ignoring the judder, or not getting it on their PCs?
C343

Post by C343 »

Alexandra wrote:Ah, here's the post in question. Seems somewhat speculatory.

You're right that it's refresh-related. cl_capfps (35 fps) fixes it, or makes it invisible. But other than purists who wants to play at 35 fps? :) It's quite bracing to see it again after years of 60 fps+ Doom. Funny that I thought that was pretty smooth 20 years ago on my Pentium 90.

Are other people in this thread just ignoring the judder, or not getting it on their PCs?
I definitely noticed it too. I actually thought I was the only one with that judder. Great mod nonetheless.
Last edited by C343 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I've updated this to be license-less so you can basically do whatever the hell you want with it, I don't care! (A shout-out in your project's credits would be cool though).

Still haven't actually updated it to be Quake-like as I intended in the first post, I just don't have the time.

EDIT: I read the posts about the stuttering and jerkiness when strafing and mouse-turning is combined, but I haven't had the time to investigate it thoroughly yet. In my opinion it is a serious issue and a deal-breaker and if anyone has any more information about this and possible fixes, I'd very much like to hear them.

EDIT 2: Zhs2 has informed me that this mod also does not even work correctly in multiplayer so I am now aware of that issue... as always though, I will need to find some free time to look into this soon... sorry for the inconvenience... (I won't be surprised if this is just some stupid and easily-fixable oversight)

EDIT 3: Already about to head to bed but: I already see what the problem is. GetPlayerMoveSpeed()'s code is completely wrong and only works for player 0 (so only the host). Told ya it was something stupid ;) I'll too tired now, will fix this tomorrow
Nash

Post by Nash »

Fixed a stupid oversight that made this thing not work in multplayer. It now works in multiplayer perfectly. Link is in OP!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Would You mind doing the improvements to BoA as well? :)
Average

Post by Average »

Thank you so much for this Nash. This and nashgore are the only two mods that I have on autoload. Both 'small' tweaks have added so much to my Dooming experience. Thanks again. :)
C343

Post by C343 »

Awesome fixes Nash! Thanks a ton for this. :D
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

I'm aware that this has been asked before, but I want to increase the tilting intensity, and I'm not sure how to. Could someone perhaps provide an example of what I should be doing?
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Funny thing you asked this mazmon, I just did a modification of this mod yesterday to include a slider in options to customize it, as well as some "enhancements" (IMO, not every coder may agree, they're mostly subtle changes to suit my coding style) to the code. I may add some other enhancements (like how fast the tilting occurs and reverts to normal and I've seen some ticking problem mentioned earlier, I may look into that too). HOWEVER, since the base script is not my work, I'll first ask Nash if he accepts or refuses that I release the modified pk3.

So Nash, do you mind if I put a link to this modified pk3, or would you rather have me sending it to you so you post it on the first post? ;)

Of course mazmon, I can send you the modified version if you PM me, I just don't wan't to "publically" release it without the original author consentment !
Nash

Post by Nash »

Go right ahead, the thing is open source and free for all to use
DevilBlackDeath

Thanks Nash ;)

Well then here you go ! I added a custom option menu with a slider going from 0.5 to 1.5 strength (defaulting at 1.0 of course). If you use any wad with a custom main menu or option menu you should load it AFTER that. If you have to do so, you can still customize the strength with the associated cvar, which name is "qtilt_strength" (I guess I'd do this from the bat that launches my wad, but you can change it in the console since the script reapplies the tilting strength in real time).

If you use the CVAR, note that the 0.5-1.5 range is hardcoded to prevent overtilting ;)

There you go. I will post another one in the coming week since I want to change the name (QTilt is Nash's name, and if the source is open, I don't want to use his mod name) and probably adding some of the features I mentioned in the previous post !

http://uplea.com/dl/4C689DC4B7E1F71
johnny

Post by johnny »

FYI, all you have to do to fix the jerkiness is turn on vsync. You dudes are experiencing tearing.
DevilBlackDeath

johnny wrote:FYI, all you have to do to fix the jerkiness is turn on vsync. You dudes are experiencing tearing.
Nope there's actual jerkiness ;) Almost like hiccups but they're not hiccups. I've just pinpointed when that happens but not why or how to fix it.
After some testing it appears that it happens when changing height (mostly when stepping on stairs-like floors). My guess is that since it instantly changes the height, the rotated camera makes it less smooth for the eyes to cope with the change. However how to fix that? Well, I have a bad feeling we can't. That would imply somehow softening the change =/

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”