[WIP] The Apocalypse

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Endless123

Re: [WIP] The Apocalypse

Post by Endless123 »

A few observations i have to inform you about

I noticed the .50 BMG lacks power and since it needs to be reloaded after each shot it can discourage its use by the player

All weapons would benefit of an auto reload when empty because it's annoying to always manually reload a weapon when the action is usually automatically triggered in so many other mods. Note that this is just a personal preference and i don't see that as big issue because many players like to manually reload their weapons. However the .50 BMG would be more enjoyable if it has an auto reload(like the SSG that automatically reloads after each shot).

Other than that the weapons feel balanced enough to me so keep up the good work :)

Q: Are you planning to add an iron sight on some of the weapons?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Like the new colt sprite... very cool.

Ah, I mean... when the last bullet in the magazine is fired, the slide should lock back, and not be released forward until a new magazine is inserted and the slide release operated (already part of the reload this bit).

Just have a ready state A_JUMPIFINVENTORY that checks if the weapon holds is empty, then use the slide-back PNG as the idle frame. If at least one bullet loaded, jump to the normal image.

I can post a snippet of code, if you need clarifying.

edit: slightly pished, so typing errors
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Honestly I didn't do that because I was too lazy too make the TEXTURES definitions for it.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:Honestly I didn't do that because I was too lazy too make the TEXTURES definitions for it.
Hahahahaha! :lol:
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

A rusted Glock 17, police issue. Not replacing the colt but not alongside it either. You will have one or the other on you at one time. Also Vostyok, a Glock 17 would make a lot of sense for your mod as that is the standard police and security sidearm.(At least around boston, where I live.) Not sure if they are usually chambered for 9x19mm Parebellum or .45 ACP usually though.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

xenoxols wrote:
Endless123 wrote: BTW i'd swear i saw that shotgun somewhere ;)
Jdredalert model ripped it from something, right?

Well, i have used that in the early builds of the Colonial Marines Arsenal, but that's Aliens: Online shotgun. I didn't even ripped those, they come from a sheet posted here ages ago by Sgt Mark IV if i remember correctly.

EDIT -
xenoxols wrote:Image

I can be wrong, but i thought that Glocks were made of plastic (polymer). If it's plastic, it shouldn't rust right? Gun nerds, please report in.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Here is a little something i just found about the GLOCK 17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

Before i found this wiki i thought the GLOCK 17 was made of metal alloys or something like that but it seems i was wrong because according to this wiki it's made of polymer(some kind of plastic).

I also found those websites showing the GLOCK multiple personalities.

http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/17/

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g17gen4

Happy reading :D
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

the slide is metal, the gun is plastic

im more inclined to whine about the availability. more ppl would have cheaper variants. XDs or even like high points
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

I thought yours were usually .40 s&w, but you would know better than I. Glock was something I've considered, but in the plastic parts are more prone to wear and tear when they are stripped. Decent idea though...
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Just played with your weapons and i would like to say my impressions:

The sprites looks nice, and the sounds are very good. Every weapon have nice effects while shooting and the different reloads are a great touch. I may suggest adding a dry fire sound to the weapons when they are empty, but overall they work good. The only thing i had to adapt/get used is how the screen reacts to the pistol firing. Each shot gives a small zoom in and out, and at first i thought that the player was walking forward after shooting. You can always use Radius_Quake in order to make the screen shake.

Also, i noted that some weapons look a little misaligned on screen (the plasma rifle and the grenade launcher are positioned too low and a little bit too much to the right).

Keep it up! It looks very promising!
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Thank you jdredalert. I purposefully did the zooming in and out instead of A_Quake/Radius_Quake because I think it looks better. Also all the weapons do that, it's just more noticeable on the pistol due to lack of recoil. Anyways new version out, not a lot has changed, but it includes auto reload for the rifle, clip based reloading cause I felt that meshes well with one in the chamber, new casing sprites, M1911A1 has its slide work properly when out of ammo, and new lighting on the gun during muzzle flashes. Also apparently the GLock 21 is the .45 ACP variant.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Wonderful. Lots of great improvements. :)

About the BFG. I was thinking about a ridiculous shoulder mounted launcher that fires a rocket that splits into two homing missiles, with a clip-fed auto-loader. I can knock up a sprite and example PK3 when I've got time, if you like.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

That would certainly be nice. I'm also looking for a new shotgun sprite, I don't really like the current one. Looking for something like an Ithaca 37 or maybe a Mossberg 500.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

One question : where are the ammo? I ran out of ammo on all the weapons i had in only 2 maps(in fact i killed the last monster of Doom 2 Map 2 with my last grenade) and i had to start Map 3 with no ammo at all. I don't even dare to think about this ammo shortage on Plutonia or Hadephobia or any map wads with more than 20 enemies on each maps because having to fight without any ammo and of course no fists to defend ourselves isn't really my definition of fun. At least add a drop ammo on some of the monsters for the player to pick up because no other ammo than the one already present on a map inevitably leads to total ammo shortage and again without any alternative weapon like the fists the player is totally screwed without ammo.

It's not a matter of weapons too weak. They are all really good and getting the job done quickly but as you know those weapons are useless without ammo to use them.

That's rare but it's my only complain, lucky you i guess :P

Keep it up, this is looking good :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Yeah, i got short on ammo too. Improving the amount of ammo dropped - or include a melee or infinite last stand weapon is a must.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”