Ulti Doom

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Ulti Doom

Postby skornedemon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Jaxxoon R wrote:This looks fucking amazing for GZDoom. Here I thought it was taking advantage of a more advanced format (Like Doomsday). Fucking wow. It probably looks even better when you're playing it.

How much of the soundtrack like what is featured in the video? Is it all like this, or does it slip back into classic Doom's metalish-rock/military rock/horror/misc as appropriate?

Thanks! Yeah I'm trying to get a good video editor to keep the bitrate unchanged. It gets pixelated in high-action scenes in that video.
The soundtrack will be similar to whats in the video, however in E3M7 I have E1M1 play as a nice throwback with tons of shotgun ammo and imps in the level.

Also, something I pride myself on, If you notice in the video, on the final phase in the final fight, the music changes without stopping. Like the pacing of it and instruments used.
This system is used quite frequently in the mod.

Freaklore1 wrote:Just to be sure,is this supposed to be the final boss,because if it is,then i wonder how the previous levels will look ?

Also if you use something similar to what you did with the cyberdemons to create obstacles you must avoid i wonder what else you have in store for us,DAYUM.

This is the final boss, in difficulties 1-4. On 5, the Boss changes in a way I cant tell you, need to have those surprises. The mod has a lot of focus on the boss battles more than the levels.
They definitely get more of the shine on them. I have a new video coming ... hopefully soon, I'm sure you'll all enjoy it.
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Discord: Skorne#1213

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:10 pm

I love how totally over the top this is. 666/10
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby skornedemon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Hah, thank you. Yeah why not go big.

So, Here's another video(added to front page)
Tower Defense, Despair!
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby Zanieon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:47 am

Good to see that someone is using my movement code for something, also good to see that you're not wasting my work on some models there to do a stupid mod, when i first saw this on Zandronum forums i got a bit pissed off because you don't even warned me about this, but now i'm starting like what you are doing here, getting better on the mapping and effects.

I still don't like much the soundtrack u put there, sounds too "generic SNES adventure game" for me (specially because reminds me of Sparkster).

just do a big favor, try play without the bloom hack, that isn't a option of GZDoom or Zandronum internal renderer and isn't even supported by new recent revisions of GZDoom anymore (prolly will happen to Zany too), if you believe in the potential of your mod then u don't need this.
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Discord: Zanieon#3177
Twitch ID: Zanieon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:59 am

Revilution wrote:Good to see that someone is using my movement code for something, also good to see that you're not wasting my work on some models there to do a stupid mod, when i first saw this on Zandronum forums i got a bit pissed off because you don't even warned me about this, but now i'm starting like what you are doing here, getting better on the mapping and effects.

I still don't like much the soundtrack u put there, sounds too "generic SNES adventure game" for me (specially because reminds me of Sparkster).

just do a big favor, try play without the bloom hack, that isn't a option of GZDoom or Zandronum internal renderer and isn't even supported by new recent revisions of GZDoom anymore (prolly will happen to Zany too), if you believe in the potential of your mod then u don't need this.

I dont understand what you mean by 'movement code'. Since all the AIs are done from scratch now. The only sprites carried over are the generic fire effects and the only remainder of your models are the death animations(for some monsters only) and the player, currently. Honestly when I can figure out how to make custom MD5 animations, I'll make my own death animations.

The soundtrack will definitely not change, all the people who have tested the game seem to enjoy it as well, but opinions are opinions too so your comment is absolutely fine!

I enjoy the bloom/motionblur/etc hack, it really pumps up the visuals another notch. The potential of my mod won't affect whether people use the hack or not, as one of the testers in that video doesn't use the hack and it still looks
fine for them,that's just what they like more. One thing that IS turned off is the motion blur, which was on for a couple months to decide whether I liked it or not. The hack is a variation of qeffects,called pro,edited to my liking and
will come optional with the game.

That's good you're liking the mod better, The mapping is always a risk/reward as I constantly have to monitor FPS and with all the 'pretty' effects, It can drag it down at times and I have to go back and change things.

I appreciate all and any feedback though! Long as it's reasonable.
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby Zanieon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 am

Yes yes, i was exactly refering to the death animations in the models, and isn't hard to make custom animations for them once you really learn how to use Blender instead of get it only as a "ripping tool" to get MD5 models working for GZDoom/Zandronum.

And about movement code i mean this, which in case is the player model having animations to walk and jump forward or backward, swim and taunt, because i noticed in the video that the Quake 4 Mech did that of moving forward and backward, monster's AI in Hunter's Moon is still simple so that u did well on customization of them here.

All other things i said, is what you mentioned, just opinion, for me that is just what i like/don't like to this mod, however it's yours, so go ahead with what you find better for it.
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 am

Revilution wrote:Yes yes, i was exactly refering to the death animations in the models, and isn't hard to make custom animations for them once you really learn how to use Blender instead of get it only as a "ripping tool" to get MD5 models working for GZDoom/Zandronum.

And about movement code i mean this, which in case is the player model having animations to walk and jump forward or backward, swim and taunt, because i noticed in the video that the Quake 4 Mech did that of moving forward and backward, monster's AI in Hunter's Moon is still simple so that u did well on customization of them here.

All other things i said, is what you mentioned, just opinion, for me that is just what i like/don't like to this mod, however it's yours, so go ahead with what you find better for it.

Ah I see you mean for movement,the Player AIs for switching to swimming,etc. Yes that wasn't touched as I didn't feel the need to edit it until I got the Doom3 guy working.

The Quake 4 Mech actually only has one walking animation. So you moon-walk backwards and such. It also cant jump.

My personal mod limits are none, I think a mod can be a simple weapon edit to a TotalConversion. I actually haven't touched blender, and some day I'll work with it.
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby Zanieon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 am

I think the same for mods, i 'm just more conservative about it still being Doom-themed.

Btw, if you need help with animations i can take this part to you, also your Doom 3 marine.
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 am

Ah I can respect that definitely.

Sure just PM me and we can talk wonderful MD5 talk.
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby Freaklore1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:34 am

Uh i was more reffering to the maps and episodes,not the difficulties levels,but thanks for the info on that anyway its nice to hear that the bosses will be different the higher the difficulty is.
Freaklore1

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:52 am

Maps and episodes will generally stay the same. Generally. Some have minor touches, some have huge.
Also currently just the final boss has different AI depending on difficulties.

Currently Ive hit a wall for the project, I asked about it a month or two ago but no one seemed to know what to do.
And that is this here.
You're reading that correctly. The Ram being used doesnt really bother me, though its atrociously high. Ive found that (G)Zdoom load
all the models when it loads the mods and caches them. Thus having all these Doom3 models with 2k+ polys ramp up the ram.

This wouldnt be THAT big of a deal, as I have 8 GB of Ram,if it wasn't for (G)ZDoom crashing due to z-malloc(Failed to allocate *INSERT BYTES HERE*).
On my PC it'll crash anywhere from 1.7GB of Ram to 1.8 being used. On one of my testers' rigs, It'll crash at around 1.1GB of Ram being used. He has
roughly 16GB of Ram. We both have good Ram Sticks, so something around high-ram usage is causing (G)Zdoom to just not allocate it correctly
after a set number. Ive tried different (G)ZDoom builds(Around 4 of them) and ironicly the latest revisions tend to crash EARLIER(Or online is just broken and de-syncs instantly :U)

I have a lot of features and bosses that had to get cut,but are still coded. Can anyone think of anything to try?
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby VANDAMVANDAM » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am

skornedemon wrote:Maps and episodes will generally stay the same. Generally. Some have minor touches, some have huge.
Also currently just the final boss has different AI depending on difficulties.

Currently Ive hit a wall for the project, I asked about it a month or two ago but no one seemed to know what to do.
And that is this here.
You're reading that correctly. The Ram being used doesnt really bother me, though its atrociously high. Ive found that (G)Zdoom load
all the models when it loads the mods and caches them. Thus having all these Doom3 models with 2k+ polys ramp up the ram.
I have a lot of features and bosses that had to get cut,but are still coded. Can anyone think of anything to try?

You have 32-bit version, it the first thing that cames in mind, don't remember what is the max page malloc in 32-bits, there must be 2-gb per page, probably, ahhh, also some windows versions can alloc only 2-gb, and you can change it
found: you need to make the app large address space aware (Link it with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE). (from this link:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9d23875f-4870-452e-9a04-8ab426008171/not-able-to-allocate-more-than-2g-memory-for-32-bit-app-running-on-windows-7-64-after-enabling-3g?forum=vcgeneral)
and also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 59(v=vs.85).aspx (try this first)
VANDAMVANDAM

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:09 am

Your link brings me to a dead page, lol. However that would make sense... But does this mean 32-bit users are out of luck?

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzd ... ad88cfc.7z Is the GZDoom version I use, and yes I have a 64-bit cpu.
This revision has been wonderful for online play,Ive tried newer and they usually die. Is there a way to find a 64-bit version of this build?
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

Postby VANDAMVANDAM » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 am

skornedemon wrote:Your link brings me to a dead page, lol. However that would make sense... But does this mean 32-bit users are out of luck?

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzd ... ad88cfc.7z Is the GZDoom version I use, and yes I have a 64-bit cpu.
This revision has been wonderful for online play,Ive tried newer and they usually die. Is there a way to find a 64-bit version of this build?

If they use PAE + /LARGEADDRESSAWARE it may work, maybe there are other methods. Don't use 32-bit systems, so, don't know all of the methods.
VANDAMVANDAM

Postby skornedemon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:52 pm

If they use PAE + /LARGEADDRESSAWARE it may work, maybe there are other methods. Don't use 32-bit systems, so, don't know all of the methods.[/quote]

So how exactly do I go about using this method? It's a little more technical then I'm used to, and it's not like I, myself, am building GZDoom exes.
skornedemon
Doom modding since '99.

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects