WIP: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public release!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

WIP: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public release!

Postby MONKET » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:43 am

Merry Christmas! As promised, and to celebrate for the holidays, I decided to give a public release for my upcoming horror beat-em-up mod, Necropolis: Voices in the Night!

DOWNLOAD

Developer Blog

Necropolis is my first major project done in the idTech engine and can be considered a total conversion mod that will hopefully be released stand-alone when it's finished, but for now it's just a mod. It has all-original weapons, new cast of enemies, a gripping story, and most prevalent of all is its conversion of Doom from a run-n-gun to a gritty first-person brawler. Of course this is just a teaser and it has none of those at the moment, and instead I plopped a player into a somewhat sandboxy city with respawning enemies and a few weapons to beat the crap outta them with, just to give a taste as to what the gameplay will be like. I won't be making any empty promises here, I've been working diligently at this project for quite some time now and the only thing I need at this point to get the game really going are voice actors, with all of the weapons and enemy AI totally scripted and plot completely written out and the only thing left to do is map design. Of course, all credits are due to their respective authors for contributing to the mod's resources and can be found in the mod's CREDITS file.

Enter the deepest, darkest parts of your psyche. Probe your subconscious' own judgement and massage the tender muscles of fears and desires. It is instinct alone that saves you.

FEATURES:
    Totally satisfying melee-oriented combat, with guns being a big fat no-no and revealing your position, bringing in tactical thought to a formerly run n gun game!
    A gnarly arsenal of improvised weapons including but not limited to rusty machetes, battered billy-clubs, savage hunting knives, and others!!!!
    A radio station seeking mechanic that encourages exploration to gather more information about the world, with up to 10 radio stations already coded in and counting!
    Gameplay revolving around stealth and ambush, with player able to sneak by walking and remain undetected, or run from battles should they choose to!
    (soon to be) A huge world with many secrets to discover and hidden treasures and easter eggs to find!
    A gripping story-oriented plot!
    Mostly original soundtrack!

Cool titlepic:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Videos:

Footage from an old version, the newer version has much less aggressive AI.
Last edited by MONKET on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MONKET

Re: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public release!

Postby SigFloyd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:56 am

What's going on here? It only contains a few text files and an ogg file. One of them reads like someone removed all of the assets because they didn't want it released yet.
SigFloyd
Vaguely Sexual

Postby _sink » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:48 am

I'm confused, There's nothing but what may be related to the Radio ingame (Checked the files using Slade) and a music file that's just some piano.
Any of you check the dev blog? For some reason this is kinda weirding me out.

The mod in the video however does look like it kicks ass. I'd love to play it.
_sink
flutter

Discord: #7171

Postby MONKET » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:01 pm

This is really really weird. Something similar happened to my blog when I tried to update it and post the same link. I'm looking more into this. Can you just open the files with notepad or some other text editor?
MONKET

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 pm

The Website wrote:ni allwn adael iddo ddigwydd
Hi, stop
Would be uploaded veisrsion, but took over account, hahahaha, stop

Don't look at the moon when it comes out, stop

Left some goodies though can't release it! Stop

He wasn't ready and neither were you. Maybe next time you'll have a better experiece. Stop.

Looks like you've been hacked.
TheMightyHeracross
...and remember: his silence is golden.

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Bitterman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Aww man, I was looking forward to seeing my skybox being used. Well I hope you can re-upload safely next time.
Bitterman
Life of the party

Postby Enjay » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah, this file is only 481kB or so and just contains a few text files and an ogg like SigFloyd said.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Hellstorm Archon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Time to use a different file uploading service.
Hellstorm Archon
Will debase self for street cred.

Discord: Man of Doom#4046

Postby MONKET » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Alright guys. I'm seriously freaking out. I can still get into my blog so they didn't change the password or anything. I just got an email from commissar@doc.vannol.ru with the following message:

"HAHAHA, you tried to show them but it wasn't the time yet. STop

We aren't what you see but we are what you think. Stop

Your present is the vessel of which we all are born. Stop

We seek the moon, and the moon is within. You can't be a person without the moon, moons bring on the body. The body is one, but it can kill everything. STOP

Enjoy the visage........."

And then they attached a video, which I uploaded to my account, along with a brief synopsis of what's occurred so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQOU9-WC30

It's not a screamer or anything. It's just... Disturbing at best.

I also noticed something really strange. The .zip file that I uploaded was made on Dec. 24, 2013, which is correct, and the files in them were made on the same day... But 24 years ago, in 1989.

The file uploading service that I used is the same that I've always used, with nothing wrong. It's just when I try to upload anything Necropolis-related other than screenshots, it spits out this jarring text and these files. It's so fast in response that it seems like it's an automated response or something, but it's not spam-related or anything like it usually is. I've looked at the files inside the false .zip with a text editor and can't seem to draw anything coherent from any of the messages. If anyone can, be my guest. Til then, I'm not sure if I can upload any actual files related to the game until I get to the bottom of what's going on. Sorry. Still though, thanks for complimenting the actual game, everyone. And I'll also be sure to provide updates on this game in this topic so it won't be a total waste of forum space. I just hope I can get it working and get some people playing soon.

The only real message I can get from this group is that they're telling you not to look at the moon. Whether or not they mean the moon in the game or the real moon, I don't know. I think it's just a scare tactic.
Last edited by MONKET on Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MONKET

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:37 pm

All I could think of when I saw that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Urr2Qw6sQA
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Enjay » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Hmmm... when I downloaded the file, I looked in the text lumps, read them and wondered to myself: "Is this some sort of publicity stunt?" Now that I've seen the video and seen the further comments, I'm pretty sure that it is.
Enjay

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Enjay wrote:Hmmm... when I downloaded the file, I looked in the text lumps, read them and wondered to myself: "Is this some sort of publicity stunt?" Now that I've seen the video and seen the further comments, I'm pretty sure that it is.

Agreed. Though it's a fairly good one, at that, yeah?
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Marrub » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:
Enjay wrote:Hmmm... when I downloaded the file, I looked in the text lumps, read them and wondered to myself: "Is this some sort of publicity stunt?" Now that I've seen the video and seen the further comments, I'm pretty sure that it is.

Spooklicity stunt
interesting though, I like ARGs
Marrub
Xevv Va Rkvyr

Discord: Marrub#5455
Github ID: marrub--
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Enjay » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:Agreed. Though it's a fairly good one, at that, yeah?

Well, not bad but being promised a project and then finding such a small file, I either thought the download was broken or it was something like this. However, benefit of the doubt and all that, I thought I'd look inside the lumps to see if it was an erroneous upload. When I started to read the text lumps and saw that they had the feel of "creepy pasta" literature to them so, at that point I lost interest and only glanced at the others. So, I guess it didn't really work for me.
Enjay

Postby Hellstorm Archon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Marrub wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:

Spooklicity stunt
interesting though, I like ARGs

Huh, go figure. For a second there, I thought it was some cease-and-desist letter from an eldritch abomination.
Hellstorm Archon
Will debase self for street cred.

Discord: Man of Doom#4046

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects