Page 4 of 6

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 pm
by wildweasel
Ed the Bat wrote:But the complaints and anger on this thread have been unnecessary.

Especially the anger. I can understand the frustration, but the anger is really not needed here.

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm
by Freya Mánibrandr
Kate wrote:
Hellser wrote:There's also this.

I think we should all settle down. I mean, you could say that Duke Nukem 3D stole from id Software for having a pistol, shotgun and a rocket launcher. I also too wish to see where this goes. But everyone, please untangle those panties!

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to riff at you for this because you are wrong.

I'll be honest here: Jimmy had a full right to be pissed off because he did work hard on his mod, only to have someone spring something that's nearly identical to his literally a day after its' initial demo release. That's downright fucking insulting. If that happened to me, I'd sure as hell be pissed too!

You also need to consider that this was spring with no warning whatsoever. No PM to him being like "hey guy, I liked your mod, I think it's cool! I'm making something like it, wanna see?", nothing like that at all. It just cropped up in projects at random with zero pre-leading context but directly involving him. It becomes the same situation as when I found I was going to be thrown into CIF3! Of course when it was released all of the stuff involving myself was cropped since time constraints on Kaiser's part but you can bet I sure as hell was not happy when I first heard the news of it second-wind. If you're going to involve someone in your own works or one of their projects, at least have the balls to approach them and let them know that you're doing something like this. Considering the reputation of this forum, (Hey, let's reflect on the KDiZD incident for a second. Okay, moment of reflection over.) of course the first thing that is going to come to people's minds is "THIS IS A BLATANT RIP-OFF" because, again, the total lack of communication pre-thread throws a shark into the water.

Honestly, this could've been handled a LOT better on FuzzyBlade's end. The amount of outside communication and the general overall feel of said communication can really determine the reception of a spin-off project like this. You want to talk to people and make sure they're cool with it, instead of just suddenly springing the project out of nowhere, because there have been less-than-happy "tributes" made in mockery of users/projects before, and there have been downright ripoffs of projects, resources intact, as well. Both of these make a situation like this very sticky. So saying people have their "panties tangled" is going off the rails here, because honestly with how poorly this project was communicated, I can see exactly why everyone flipped out.


This isn't exactly CIF territory here, nobody's being unfairly blasted in this project. Even if "cutting" community commentary is this project's thing, it pays to have a thicker skin about it. After all, the 1997 tune up project would never see the light of day if we were that pedantic about not hurting other's feelings. (Some people might find it rude to tinker with the works of other people.)

While Jimmy has the right to be upset, it doesn't give him free reign to to accuse people of ripping him off without sufficient justification. He's a responsible adult, and as such, one should expect him to be responsible for his feelings and the actions that resulted from them. In other words, FuzzyBlade is not responsible for Jimmy being upset.

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm
by Hellser
I care for Jimmy, I care for Kate, and just about everyone here on this thread. There is only so much one person can do, or use with MSPaint. I'm sure the OP isn't here to make any enemies, and I am pretty sure he probably had things inspired from Squares. But bashing away at this person's work because one thing looks very similar, or familiar to another thing (this case, Adventures of Kittie and Adventures of Square) isn't the way to go. The anger isn't needed, especially from both of you. Deep breaths before jumping into the fray with swords swinging, guns and cannons booming isn't the way to go.

I admit, some things do look alike. This is the Doom Community after all, we have ripped off each others' textures, sprites and what not more than we can count. Seeing this sort of reaction is rather shocking to me - I wouldn't of expected it. I enjoyed the screenshots, I didn't make any relation to Squares until Jimmy brought it up.

Well, I hope I didn't make any enemies today from that little rant? (Is that a rant? Nah)

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:13 pm
by Ed the Bat
Hellser wrote:Well, I hope I didn't make any enemies today from that little rant?

On the contrary, you may very well have made an ally. I rather like the things you've had to say in this thread so far (and the Brony status might've helped my opinion along, too :P).

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 pm
by lizardcommando
Hey, another MSPaint mod. Coolness.

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:30 pm
by FuzzyBlaze
I have NOT stolen any resources from square. I'm not the kind of person who does that. This is 100% my stuff, even the sounds. And why does you people keep telling me it's a ripoff? :( I've worked just as hard on this as Jimmy has on his game. I've even composed music for this.

Myself, i think the only thing similar to square is the mspaint theme, otherwise it's nothing alike. Also, the rippergun is a reference to Duke Nukem 3D, i admit that, but it's supposed to be that way.

Though, it's not so easy to know how this game is judging from a couple of screenshots, but that doesn't mean you can just rip out my heart and bash it into my face.

So i expect some of you to apologize.

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 pm
by Hellser
FuzzyBlaze wrote:I have NOT stolen any resources from square. I'm not the kind of person who does that. This is 100% my stuff, even the sounds. And why does you people keep telling me it's a ripoff? :( I've worked just as hard on this as Jimmy has on his game. I've even composed music for this.

Myself, i think the only thing similar to square is the mspaint theme, otherwise it's nothing alike. Also, the rippergun is a reference to Duke Nukem 3D, i admit that, but it's supposed to be that way.

Though, it's not so easy to know how this game is judging from a couple of screenshots, but that doesn't mean you can just rip out my heart and bash it into my face.

So i expect some of you to apologize.


A shame you had to go to this, but I hope you do well on your project!

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 am
by Jimmy
Well, I'm not apologizing. Excuse me, but what? You're angry with me?!

I've tried to be civil about this. My initial post was not intended to convey any wrath. It couldn't have, I wasn't angry at the time. I certainly wasn't about to tell you to halt it entirely, because I'm not that aggressive about things. I was merely voicing an objection to/disapproval of the project, one that honestly I'm still amazingly surprised and frustrated to see that no one apart from Kate has backed me up on because only she seems to be able to see how crazily similar this project is to mine, not to mention the actual reason I'm upset. (Thanks, sweetie.) Which I should reiterate is not that resources were stolen/edited, but specific ideas clearly were. So soon after its initial release, too. I mean, look. Well, you can't now because the author blanked the first post. But are my objections just invalid or something?

The anger arose when people started twisting my initial objection to ridiculous lengths, and accusing me of being petty and bitching and being just objectively wrong about what my own project contains. So most of my anger and frustration is not down to the actual project.

Rather this discussion, which by now is getting stupid. Thanks for destroying the evidence that this all ever took place so no one can know what I was objecting to, hence making me look exactly like a petty, objectively wrong bitch, as the ensuing posts are all there is to go on, now.

If you're migrating your project's progress to another forum, then be my guest - at the rate this discussion's going, that seems like a sensible option. I will do the same, I think. I am absolutely super-done with this whole dumb argument right now, and currently, this forum. Thanks a lot for everything, guys. I need a break.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am
by Cardboard Marty
I don't think anyone is jumping that conclusion about you Jimmy. I encouraged you to post in this thread, and I don't get that vibe that anybody thinks you're being a "bitch" or anything of that nature. Your objections are valid, and while I think we as a community are ridiculously aggressive against things we don't like, I think FuzzyBlaze's reply is equally valid if you were to come back to your thread to find it piled with this nonsense.

If you are angry, take a step back, go outside, do whatever calms you down. I doubt we'll be seeing this thread later today, but as a shortly-lived post on here, I shall say I think you could all use a break if you're really getting to the point of anger and frustration over this. Hellser has had the most level-headed reply and I think you should heed what he said.

FuzzyBlaze, I encourage you to come back whenever your project is finished so we can give our opinion on the actual content of the mod rather than bickering about it.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 am
by lizardcommando
Well, the art styles were really similar, namely with the textures. But of course, without the actual wad in hand, there's no way to really prove whether or not this mod was just copy-and-pasted over The Adventures of Square.

I've had something like this happen to my mod a long time ago. Someone blatantly ripped my Lizard Squad mod (back when it was called The Exterminator). They didn't even bother changing one of the guns. However, I handled it through Private Messaging. I think it would be best to handle this situation behind the scenes rather than keeping all of this in the open.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 am
by Kinsie
I decided, in the name of scientific research, to recreate the Infamous Stolen Texture and see how long it took using incredibly scientific methods (the stopwatch on my phone):

Image

47.1 seconds, and I'm pretty sure a good 15 of that was grappling with the changes to the MSPaint UI in modern Windows.

If you two are gonna go Peak Deviantart on us, can you please at least do it over something that took at least a whole minute to make? Thanks.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 am
by Freya Mánibrandr
Kinsie, you're not helping the situation any.

Jimmy, FuzzyBlaze, regardless, you both could have handled this better, and ugly things have been said from both sides of this discussion. I think it's only fair that you both apologize to each other and let go of any hard feelings. Can we please not lose our heads over this?

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 am
by mallo
Too bad it got deleted. I liked the kitty's design. :3:

Spoiler: Bad joke


You could remake your project, but in other style. For example, you could give outlines of the same color as the fill, except darker. It works.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:41 am
by JimmyJ
The vents just look like an MS Paint inspiration of Duke 3D vents to me. Image
It's not a stretch to me for more than one person to have something that looks similar, especially if they're both restricted to MS Paint.

Re: [WIP] Can someone delete this plz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:43 am
by mallo
BTW. I also saw the vents of the same colours (maybe not exact 'cause I didn't checked) as Game Maker 6-7 (5 maybe) default assets.