[WIP] Can someone delete this plz

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby wildweasel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Jimmy wrote:At this point I don't care whether it was ripped or not, it looks exactly the same.

It's a square box with diagonal lines and four colors. I think at this point "exactly the same" isn't difficult to accomplish, even without having seen the original.

(And then there's this.)

At this rate, I'm not sure that a ventilation shaft texture and a similarly colored title screen are quite enough to justify all the shouting and complaining I'm hearing here.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Jimmy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:35 pm

I have never heard of this Believer Doom mod ever. I can hardly have ripped *that* thing off myself.

wildweasel: Please read my entire post on the front page because I don't think you have yet.
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jimmy
 
 
 
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm

The titlepic+Name+cartoon stuff is a little suspect, but it's a beta and most everything could change before anything is released. That being said, if you keep going without changing those I suspect people will be grumpy.
For the titlepic, perhaps spoofing Kill Bill? Although if you do go with that, I'd be disappointed if she didn't have a sword in game.
For a name, how about CATastrophe? (hehe, puns)
Jimmy wrote:or fucking lemonade bottles.
For all you know those could be bottles of dinosaur piss that Kittie uses to scare off smaller dinosaurs but has the side effect of attracting larger ones. Context is king.

Kittie as a bit of a generic name for a cat. It'd be like naming a girl Lady. Fluffernutter or Mittens, now those are cat names.
If you take nothing else away from this, I will be sorely disappointed if she doesn't get a sword.
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Ed the Bat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 pm

LC's ShapeSearch had a purple Credits screen and bright green grass. And the house was sorta cubic-ish. Does that count?

And in all frankness, when I first subscribed to the thread for Adventures of Square (because it was marked as "nearing completion", it was January of this year. Eight months ago. So it's been out there for a fairly long time, now.

wildweasel wrote:It's a square box with diagonal lines and four colors. I think at this point "exactly the same" isn't difficult to accomplish, even without having seen the original.

When I see that texture, I just keep thinking of a certain wall texture in Super Mario Bros 3 (All-Stars), or the blocks in Blastris A from Super Scope 6, complete with the faux lighting effect with the shade division down the middle.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby CruX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Jimmy wrote: I don't object to you making a mod of your own that looks MSPainty or cartoony

I really hope this doesn't come across as snippy since I'm not trying to be, but this really isn't convincing given that one of your gripes with it is that the grass is too bright. Really, the most legit sounding problems you have with it just based on the screens she's posted are the bottle and the name/titlepic. Far as the latter goes, have you considered that maybe that was in homage to Adventures of Square, given that she mentioned it in the OP?
User avatar
CruX
"I...suppose I don't really find this sort of thing sexy."
 
Joined: 02 Nov 2009

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby wildweasel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Jimmy wrote:wildweasel: Please read my entire post on the front page because I don't think you have yet.

Which part do you think I've missed, here?
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Ed the Bat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Globe wrote:
Jimmy wrote: I don't object to you making a mod of your own that looks MSPainty or cartoony

I really hope this doesn't come across as snippy since I'm not trying to be, but this really isn't convincing given that one of your gripes with it is that the grass is too bright.

The fact that he seemed upset about how the tiles were square-shaped was what made me think he was joking in that list. It's not like he has a copyright on geometric shapes now, is it?
Globe wrote:Far as the latter goes, have you considered that maybe that was in homage to Adventures of Square, given that she mentioned it in the OP?

Exactly. Most ripoffs don't openly pay tribute to their sources.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby 0bsidian » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:45 pm

You're putting DRAIN on hiatus for this? :( Oh yeah, and I recall Sodaholic making a wad slightly similar before he was banned(admittedly with a lot more questionable substances).
User avatar
0bsidian
*Shrugs*
 
Joined: 29 Oct 2012
Location: New Zealand

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Freya Mánibrandr » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm

This looks pretty cool, I would like to see some gameplay videos to get a feel for what the level design is like. :D
User avatar
Freya Mánibrandr
 
Joined: 26 Aug 2012

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Hellser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 pm

There's also this.

I think we should all settle down. I mean, you could say that Duke Nukem 3D stole from id Software for having a pistol, shotgun and a rocket launcher. I also too wish to see where this goes. But everyone, please untangle those panties!
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby CruX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Hellser wrote:I also too wish to see where this goes. But everyone, please untangle those panties!

Eh, I'm not so crazy about the concept, but that's just because anthro stuff freaks me out. If it were a human being, I could maybe dig it the same way I dig that Cramps song "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns", i.e it's so dumb and campy it has its own sort of charm.
User avatar
CruX
"I...suppose I don't really find this sort of thing sexy."
 
Joined: 02 Nov 2009

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Hellser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Globe wrote:
Hellser wrote:I also too wish to see where this goes. But everyone, please untangle those panties!

Eh, I'm not so crazy about the concept, but that's just because anthro stuff freaks me out. If it were a human being, I could maybe dig it the same way I dig that Cramps song "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns", i.e it's so dumb and campy it has its own sort of charm.


I'm not so much into the anthro stuff (I know, I'm a brony) but I don't mind it too much when it comes down to a 'Oh, that's a rather nice piece of art'.
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby grouchbag » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

I would play it.Looks rather cute. :)
User avatar
grouchbag
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2012

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Kate » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I'll be honest here: Jimmy had a full right to be pissed off because he did work hard on his mod, only to have someone spring something that's nearly identical to his literally a day after its' initial demo release. That's downright fucking insulting. If that happened to me, I'd sure as hell be pissed too!

You also need to consider that this was spring with no warning whatsoever. No PM to him being like "hey guy, I liked your mod, I think it's cool! I'm making something like it, wanna see?", nothing like that at all. It just cropped up in projects at random with zero pre-leading context but directly involving him. It becomes the same situation as when I found I was going to be thrown into CIF3! Of course when it was released all of the stuff involving myself was cropped since time constraints on Kaiser's part but you can bet I sure as hell was not happy when I first heard the news of it second-wind. If you're going to involve someone in your own works or one of their projects, at least have the balls to approach them and let them know that you're doing something like this. Considering the reputation of this forum, (Hey, let's reflect on the KDiZD incident for a second. Okay, moment of reflection over.) of course the first thing that is going to come to people's minds is "THIS IS A BLATANT RIP-OFF" because, again, the total lack of communication pre-thread throws a shark into the water.

Honestly, this could've been handled a LOT better on FuzzyBlade's end. The amount of outside communication and the general overall feel of said communication can really determine the reception of a spin-off project like this. You want to talk to people and make sure they're cool with it, instead of just suddenly springing the project out of nowhere, because there have been less-than-happy "tributes" made in mockery of users/projects before, and there have been downright ripoffs of projects, resources intact, as well. Both of these make a situation like this very sticky. So saying people have their "panties tangled" is going off the rails here, because honestly with how poorly this project was communicated, I can see exactly why everyone flipped out.
Last edited by Kate on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kate
... in loving memory ...
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: [WIP] Adventures of Kittie

Postby Ed the Bat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Kate wrote:I'm sorry but I'm going to have to riff at you for this because you are wrong.

Disagree completely.
Kate wrote:I'll be honest here: Jimmy had a full right to be pissed off because he did work hard on his mod, only to have someone spring something that's nearly identical to his literally a day after its' initial demo release. That's downright fucking insulting.

Not only is this not identical, but the list of similarities he cited was facile at best and downright incorrect at worst. And according to the time stamps, this project was announced a full NINE days after the demo of Square was released (and that's not even counting the eight months it was labeled as "nearing completion").

I'll concede that better communication could and would have made for a much smoother scenario. But the complaints and anger on this thread have been unnecessary.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests