(WIP) The Ultimate Icon Of Sin

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: (WIP) The Ultimate Icon Of Sin

Postby TypeSaucy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37 pm

my god, this boss fight is awesome.

oh, i just heard something about voice acting...
:)
TypeSaucy

Discord: TypeSaucy #3162

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 am

Girlfriend dumped me on the phone while I was playing this. Longest relationship I've been in, ever.

This map is burned into my mind for all the wrong reasons, lol.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 am

Vaecrius wrote:Girlfriend dumped me on the phone while I was playing this. Longest relationship I've been in, ever.

This map is burned into my mind for all the wrong reasons, lol.

Now that's truly brütal...

hope you feel better, man. We've all been there.

On-topic: "Our caco's will blot out the sun!"
Abba Zabba

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:07 am

Hm... I had a similar idea to beef up the Icon of Sin too, but in a different way, though. I planned to make it into an actual moving creature of colossal proportions, but then I realized that this would be impossible due to engine limitations (nope, can't climb that mountain).

I'm gonna check this out and see if it holds up to be good.

Edit: Overall, it was quite good. It doesn't really feel like that body matches the head, though. One little problem I had was the lightning spam that lasted for quite long, but other than that it was a worthy boss fight. Shame the guy's just standing there...
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nero » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:05 pm

That was the finish I expected when I first played Doom 2. Well done sir!
Nero
Royal Boredom....Why can't I do this in Windows?

Postby Ghostbreed » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Saya-chan wrote:Edit: Overall, it was quite good. It doesn't really feel like that body matches the head, though. One little problem I had was the lightning spam that lasted for quite long, but other than that it was a worthy boss fight. Shame the guy's just standing there...

He's on par with Doom 3's Cyberdemon, who only walked in circles.
Ghostbreed
Cue the music
Banned User

Postby Vampocalypse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:18 pm

An excellent map and boss fight, here are my useless 5 cents.

1. I'm getting a very big Dante's Inferno feeling, perhaps make the map a circle with the boss in the middle? I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.
2. Yes, bigass voxel boss or multiple angle sprite character, it might be the boss' only appearance but its so epic it needs to be able to seen from all angles.

Other then that I'm happy, seems like a great final battle for your upcoming megawad map pack thingy.
Vampocalypse

Postby SamVision » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Why is the music from the preview video not in the download, that one was way more awesome and fitting.
SamVision

Postby edward850 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 am

This is relevant:
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Hornetzero » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 am

edward850 wrote:This is relevant:

I gave those two a 1/5 for their review (pointing out the errors) and a 5/5 in terms of being jerks. :evil:
Hornetzero

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 am

I have to agree that the motionless-ness of the boss is the only real problem. It pretty much just went from a big wall texture that stays still to a giant sprite that stays still.
Maybe you could have it teleport around the map at every 1000 points of health it loses.

I dunno, just make it shift around more.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:50 am

11:05
Spoiler:
at least until the problem is solved

Lack of feedback is a huge issue with this concept, though (as was the Cyberdemon which is why we had that protip to begin with). Maybe it could be a guaranteed, very visible pain state the first time or 2 it's hit?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Kinsie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 am

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I have to agree that the motionless-ness of the boss is the only real problem. It pretty much just went from a big wall texture that stays still to a giant sprite that stays still.
Maybe you could have it teleport around the map at every 1000 points of health it loses.
This is the problem. The amount of health it has is frankly obscene, and there's very little change in its pattern as its health is wittled down - after the first 30 seconds or so you've more or less seen everything the fight has to offer.

By changing things up every, say, 4000 health (a typical Cyberdemon starting health) by teleporting away to different arena layouts, visibly staggering and changing attack patterns, etc. the fight could become far more interesting.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 am

Maybe you could have the number and strength of the monsters it spawns increase as it's health drops?
Like at the start only zombiemen, shotgunguys and imps spawn, then later revenants and chaingun dudes, all until it is spawning pain elementals and archviles.
You could also have more and more of the monster be exposed as it teleports. It could start with just its' head, then it's torso and two arms, then its' whole upper body and finally the whole thing.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Valherran » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:12 am

So far I have beaten this boss on the hardest difficulty setting on the following MODs:

1. Brutal Doom or Arsenal Addon - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
2. MSX - Medium - Only thing that made this hard was the spawning of monsters.
3. ww-nazis! - Hard - More spawns means more ass whooping for player.
4. ww-doomnukem - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
5. ww-gzmecha (lol) - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
6. Russian Overkill - Too Easy - (duh)
7. Doom RPG - Too Easy - (duh)
8. Crossfire - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
9. Hunters Moon - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
10. Satanic Redux + NecroRunner Mode - Very Hard - MOD was not designed for this kind of boss fight, was very difficult.
11. Dark Forces - Medium - Only thing that made this hard was the spawning of monsters.
12. Mercs 2 - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
13. Real Guns Hardcore - Very Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
14. Real Guns Advances - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
15. BURL_TUMD - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
16. UltimateD3mod - Medium - Only thing that made this hard was the spawning of monsters.
17. Samsara - Hard - More spawns means more ass whooping for player.
18. Neo Doom - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
19. Super Skulltag - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.
20. Psycho Phobia - Easy - Powerful weapons made short work of boss and minions.

Average Rating for map: Easy
Average Reason for rating: Powerful Weapons made short work of boss and minions
Conclusions of reasons: Lack of HP on boss, lack of damage from boss, lack of attacks from boss.
Valherran

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects