Hard-Doom (v6.3.1)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: Hard-Doom (v6.3)

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Oh, I think I misread what you said before. Yeah, you're right. Doesn't he still need KEYCONF player classes though?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Oh, I think I misread what you said before. Yeah, you're right. Doesn't he still need KEYCONF player classes though?
Sadly, yes. That part still makes me sad, but it's not his fault; it's Zandronum's for being so out of date. The real kicker to that one is that Zandronum 2.0 is in beta, but it's based on ZDoom r2509 (one revision further than ZDoom 2.5.0), wheras if they'd simply gone 38 days further, to r2834, then Zandronum would also finally have the capability to declare playerclasses in MAPINFO.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Ed the Bat wrote:Still using KEYCONF to declare playerclasses and weaponslots? Sadface...
Glad you're enjoying the mod!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very fine mod (if I didn't care about it, I wouldn't even give a second thought to keeping its code up-to-date). It delivers exactly what it promises, giving a direct upgrade (and a reasonable one at that; not too intense to handle) to the enemy strength, but offering the user tools to keep the fight fair. A little bit of extra polish added to the experience (spent brass, a little bit of plasma glow, etc.) looks nice without completely drowning out the experience like so many other projects do.

In short, keep up the good work!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Ed the Bat wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very fine mod (if I didn't care about it, I wouldn't even give a second thought to keeping its code up-to-date).
This isn't a given. The merits of the mod itself weren't even mentioned to start out, which understandably looks rude.

Feature deprecation mainly applies to new works; In this case, "it ain't broke". (And if you look at it enough, other weapon slot methods have their issues too, not just KeyConf/SetSlot.)
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Well, this pretty much would make tough megawads like Doom2coop make you want to save more often. Also, I do like the new weapons, especially the sonic railgun; if you can get it as early as map01, you'll be set for a while.

Edit: Seeing the two dark versions of the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in action (not to mention the shadow archvile, who's an archvile that's much faster on the draw) made my jaw drop. The spider mastermind having a chance to drop a railgun is pretty peculiar. Then again, it's much rarer given how infrequently the Spiderdemon appears in maps.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

dljosef wrote:Seeing the two dark versions of the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in action (not to mention the shadow archvile, who's an archvile that's much faster on the draw) made my jaw drop. The spider mastermind having a chance to drop a railgun is pretty peculiar. Then again, it's much rarer given how infrequently the Spiderdemon appears in maps.
I always felt the Dark Cyberdemon was somewhat overpowered; even if it's supposed to be, having it wield BFG10K was drawing the line.

Dark Spider I thought was awesome though, since Spider replacements are allowed to be hitscan so the BFG10000 is justified there. Still want to know why the dark spider uses the chaingun though; The BFG is the only think it should be using.

Shadow Archviles are really easy though; they have a PainChance of 30 (meaning the SSG stuns 90% of the time instead of like 50%), and their fire doesn't DoT you, unlike the diabolist. It might just be me, but I've found they attack less often.

To be honest, the common spawn for the archvile is currently more threatening than the rare one.

Don't drop the rare one though; it's pretty cool.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Untitled wrote:Still want to know why the dark spider uses the chaingun though; The BFG is the only think it should be using.
Because unless you've never played competitively, BFG shots are very easy to dodge - while hitscans will still wear your health out unless you are extremely careful.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Blox wrote:
Untitled wrote:Still want to know why the dark spider uses the chaingun though; The BFG is the only think it should be using.
Because unless you've never played competitively, BFG shots are very easy to dodge - while hitscans will still wear your health out unless you are extremely careful.
It has a Freaking BFG 10K, which for a reminder, is a perfect accuracy Sniper BFG.

EDIT: I've yet to play a competitive match that actually has a BFG9000 in it since everything is SSG SSG SSG nowadays (and everyadays, but still)
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

The Dark Spider has a small chance to use the BFG10k as well. Then again, it's something of a rare attack that can take you out by surprise.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

dljosef wrote:The Dark Spider has a small chance to use the BFG10k as well. Then again, it's something of a rare attack that can take you out by surprise.
See my above post.

I sort of think that for the Dark Spider, the BFG10K should be taking the chaingun's place.

I feel that Dark Cybers are a bit cheap. Cyberdemons are placed in maps with the creator knowing that you can dodge them. You can't dodge a BFG10K. It doesn't matter how good you are, if one catches you and you have no cover, you're /dead/.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Dark Cybers are rare, then. (If that's a consolation.) Then again, I'm surprised to see that the Pyrodemon's a rare spawn among the bruiser demons. Then again, at least he doesn't teleport...or if he does, I haven't seen it.

Also, the diabloists I will still find worse than the shadow archies.

Edit: I forgot to mention the hellfire revenants. Hoo boy... As if the twin-shot revvies weren't bad enough...
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

All it needs now is a twin-shot hellfire Revenant!
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

On a related note, yes I still dread bruiser demons because of their ground explosion attack.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Doom'd Marine wrote:All it needs now is a twin-shot hellfire Revenant!
As if revenants weren't bad enough as is, heh.

EDIT: Currently, I feel the pyrodemon might not actually be worse than the bruiser demon. They don't have ground spikes, and otherwise they're completely circle-strafe-able. Maybe give the teleport back? Or restore the 128 radius to his projectiles (it was lowered to 96)?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”