[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
NerdKoopa

Re: [WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 4 version, Beta 5 soon)

Post by NerdKoopa »

I CAN'T make bigger! SLAB6 limits you to 256^3 voxels. To make bigger, I would have to turn the model rendering scale bigger in the Decorate code, but that would look even more low-res. If I, for example, doubled the rendering scale, that would make one voxel in the model look like 4 normal voxels. It's like trying to make a low quality picture bigger.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

so hovercraft is going to be a most biggest vehicles rather then landing boats then?
because with this size, you can made everything but military thingies.
QuickShotGunman

Post by QuickShotGunman »

Maybe to start off on a military thing/tourist ride thing*,perhaps you could make a Duckboat (DUKW)?

*Duckboats are a tourist ride here in Liverpool.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Nice work there.

Where did you learned to use very well SLAB6? I tried it and it was somehow a pain to use.
NerdKoopa

Re: [WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 4 version)

Post by NerdKoopa »

I regret to inform you that the release of Beta 5 is going to be delayed BIG time. The motor boat turned out to be harder to make than I realised. I need to study boat hull designs more. This combined with my recent lack of motivation will push the release waaaaay back.
Captain J

Re: [WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 4 version)

Post by Captain J »

please don't tell it's now delayed in 1 years.
god's dammed mechanisms, it's always troble...
NerdKoopa

Re: [WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Post by NerdKoopa »

MAJOR UPDATE. Beta 5 is here! I decided to release it early and leave the troublesome motor boat for the next version. I just wanted to get the snow vehicles and the hovercraft out.
Link and info in first post, but here's the link too: http://www.mediafire.com/?jkxrpfhirn2q2es

Here's what's new for Beta 5:

* A snowmobile in 9 colors
* A snowcat in 4 colors
* A snowcoach in 4 colors plus one UAC variant
* A hovercraft in 5 colors
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

that should be the best, well done.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

I'm posting this to inform everyone that the project is not dead despite my long silence. The motor boat has proven to be very difficult to model, because I don't know crap about boats. I've been modeling based purely on intuition and Google image searches. Anyways, here's a WIP pic of the boat. I'm going for a sterndrive design.
Spoiler:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

These vehicles are awesome... the only problem: All of them are too clean, too shiny and too saturated for being used as-is in Doom.. any chances of some recolors that fit the moody and dark colors of Doom?
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

There are alternate colors for every one of the cars. There's dark red, dark blue, dirty green and brown for most of them.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think Torm is talking about the shading of the models; they're not "gritty" enough for Doom.

If you study the voxels in Blood and Shadow Warrior, they have a certain grit to them that makes them blend with the other stuff surrounding them.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The problem is that applying some grit on them (like overlaying a SHAWN texture to give some texture to the metal) is horrible to do in SLAB6.

Maybe if there was a tool that translates voxel slices into images, the reverse of what STRIP2VOX does...
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I only tested on opengl, I don´t know if I´m wrong but does the opengl objects position are the same as the software objects position? (ex: on software render you see a monster on 0º and in opengl you see the same mosnter in 90º)
Gez

Post by Gez »

The explanation for the discrepancy comes from the fact that either your ZDoom or your GZDoom is outdated. If you have the very latest official build of both, or recent development builds, then there will be no discrepancies.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”