[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Post by NerdKoopa »

THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER VALID! NEW THREAD HERE: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=36486

This is a pack of decorative voxel vehicles meant to be used with ZDoom and GZDoom. It contains all kinds of vehicles from cars to aircraft. These will definietly spice up city themed maps! I'm using SLAB6 to make these.
(This has been on the Doomworld forums for a while now, but I decided to bring it here too for more visibility.)

Here's what's included in Beta 5:

* 1960's two door sedan in 10 colors
* 1960's station wagon in 10 colors
* A modern four door sedan in 9 colors
* A modern hatchback in 9 colors
* A chopper bike in 6 colors
* 1980's taxi
* A modern taxi
* 1980's police cruiser. Comes in two varieties; one with lights on and one with lights off. (Yes, the lights are animated!)
* A modern police cruiser. Also comes in two light varieties.
* A van in 10 colors plus one with the UAC logo
* A modern pickup truck in 10 colors
* A plane in 8 colors
* A helicopter in 6 colors, plus one with the UAC logo
* An armored UAC truck in 2 colors
* A futuristic VTOL in 4 varieties. Green and brown, with UAC logo or without.
* A tank in 3 colors
* A forklift in 8 colors
* A bulldozer in 6 colors
* An excavator in 8 colors
* A tractor in 10 colors
* An ambulance in two light varieties.
* A semi truck in 9 colors
* A sports car in 10 colors
* A limousine in 4 colors
* An SUV in 9 colors
New vehicles
* A snowmobile in 9 colors
* A snowcat in 4 colors
* A snowcoach in 4 colors plus one UAC variant
* A hovercraft in 5 colors

Finished models to be included in Beta 6:

* A motor boat in 6 colors
* A fire truck in two light varieties

Link to Beta 5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/137el ... beta5b.pk3 (New link because Mediafire destroyed the original file for some reason.)
The pack is in PK3 format. Just remove the maps directory from the file to get rid of the demonstration level.

This will NOT work in source ports that don't support voxels or the KVX format!

I'll be posting more as I make more additions. As I update the thread, some comments might not apply anymore as I adress propblems.

Now for some screenshots. Please note that all the color variations are not shown in these!

Last edited by NerdKoopa on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:03 am, edited 10 times in total.
twinkieman93

Re: [WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 4 release)

Post by twinkieman93 »

Those look cool, but here's the important question: Will I be able to blow them up?
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Just forgot to ask, is tank's turret separate from hull?

And the stuff you've done is amazing.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you combine voxel models like lego bricks, the software renderer will crap out. It sorts a voxel's blocks in relation with each others; but not in relation with other voxels and/or sprites. So you'd get rendering glitches.

TL;DR: no, the turret isn't separate from the hull. Each vehicle is a complete, indivisible whole.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

Update. Made a snowmobile in 9 colors. It will be included in Beta 5 eventually. I also updated the "To be made" section of the first post.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

gotta put a bookmark again.
awesome work mr. voxel wizard.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Gez wrote:If you combine voxel models like lego bricks, the software renderer will crap out. It sorts a voxel's blocks in relation with each others; but not in relation with other voxels and/or sprites. So you'd get rendering glitches.
Should specify that question into: "could tank's turret be separated from hull? " I was thinking if it is possible to make two different entities, turret attached to hull, rotating independently...
But now I remember that bugged propel in helicopter. :blergh:

And @NerdKoopa:
As an idea for future vehicle, maybe future tank, usable by one person? Something similar from Battlezone. (Put that in google and check pics.) :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

A thread of win. Out of curiosity, if GZdoom has the capability of turning voxel into models, can it be done in reverse?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ken Silverman's Poly2Vox converts models into voxels.

If I'm going to start making voxels, no way in hell I'm going to use that clunky slab6 editor. I'd just model my stuff in Blender, export to MD3 then use poly2vox. :P
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Wow, nice work.
Can voxel be animated? I know it sound stupid, but i never used voxel before.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I imagine you would have to specify a new voxel model for each frame, which is not very convenient for complex things.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Voxel actors can be animated but - like sprites - you would have to model EVERY single frame. The process is exactly like animating sprites but you are now working in 3 dimensions. Sounds like a nightmare...

... unless you do all of your animating from 3D models and export each model frame as a voxel! XD
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

CaptainToenail wrote:I imagine you would have to specify a new voxel model for each frame, which is not very convenient for complex things.
Yeah that must be a pain to do.
Nash wrote:Voxel actors can be animated but - like sprites - you would have to model EVERY single frame. The process is exactly like animating sprites but you are now working in 3 dimensions. Sounds like a nightmare...

... unless you do all of your animating from 3D models and export each model frame as a voxel! XD
Oh... this sound like a plan, much easier if we can use 3d models. I find it long to make sprite frame sometimes.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

I apologise for not informing on the pack's state for a while. So far the snowcat has proven to be very difficult to model. Heck, the rest of the models will probably take more time to make than the earlier models combined! These are hard to make because I'm not as familiar with them as I'm with cars. I have to do some research and plenty of picture staring.
PS: does anyone have a good picture of the mechanism of a snowcat's plow? In every picture I've seen, the whole thing is always covered in snow.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Heh, if you'd asked a couple of months ago, I could have taken a photo of one unencumbered by snow.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”