TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3 Altfires! WOOOOO

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3 Altfires! WOOOOO

Post by TiberiumSoul »

It's been almost a year and a half since I worked on this and only a few weeks ago I stumbled upon it while making space for new project ideas and was inspired to work on it again

This mod has two variations one for Zandronum and one for GZDoom

GZDoom Version:
Download Link: TiberiumDoomGZ Final 2.0.2

Zandronum Version:
On Hold until further notice
Last edited by TiberiumSoul on Wed May 20, 2015 12:04 am, edited 37 times in total.
Project_Hellbane

Re: TiberiumDoom : Now with Badasses!

Post by Project_Hellbane »

From what I could see, it looks pretty nice! when I find the Skulltag Actors and Data I will try it out.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Played few leves of doom2 and love it!! very nice and fast mod..., now i dont understand is why 3 shotguns... but i love the 4 shell shotgun!! oh yeah!... yet again why 3 of the same tipe?, maybe remove the super shotgun? and also the same with the chainguns? but great looking mod :) cheers! for a nice job mate ^_^
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

well i really wanted have an extensive arsenal 3 guns for each slot save for 1 and 7
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

TiberiumSoul wrote:well i really wanted have an extensive arsenal 3 guns for each slot save for 1 and 7
well put some diferent ones... maybe even a second action funtion to all the guns?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Zharkov's FruitPunch style, and voice clips from Zelda CDi games? Is this a joke?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

I am not really seeing what this actually adds to the game.
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

ok first up no one is making you play this. secondly, if you believe this to be a joke that's your opinion and your entitled to it.

as for what this mod adds:

a heavily edited version of BlueShadow's NC hud made to look like borderlands

new and more challenging enemies with certain enemies having badass variants ala borderlands 1 and 2.

uses the classic guns with smoother animation and new behavior to make them more interesting and adds a few new toys to play with.

various new special effects such as flares at the muzzleflashes of a weapon which renders to other players as a visible world dynamic muzzle flash and an (quoted from sgt. mark himself) "over the top blood effect that rivals brutal doom's own"

a new color pallet designed to make doom appear darker and more foreboding

smoothed flats and terrain effects borrowed from brutal doom. before you accuse me of stealing, let me make it clear that mark and i have an agreement between us we can use whatever resources spark one another's interest from our respective mods for example i borrowed his terrain effects and 3d liquid splashes. and he borrowed the metal spark effects from my nailgun and gatling puff actors

and these are only a few things...
Project Shadowcat

TiberiumSoul wrote:ok first up no one is making you play this.
You're not giving me much reason to actually do so, either. It actually looks like what Aeons of Death started off being, and while AEoD was fun, this one doesn't feel like it's going the right direction. Hell, I'm not ssure which direction it's even supposed TO go.
secondly, if you believe this to be a joke that's your opinion and your entitled to it.
I don't believe it's a joke, but I do find your flammable attitude quite a put off, too. Not only did you lose a potential player but you also earned a slot on my block list.
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

the beginning part was for ed the listed features were for you dark. i couldve been more specific in that area.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, if nothing else, this would be a decent combination of stuff, but I'm a bit concerned with the lack of credit to sources and there's several other balance issues that suggest this wasn't given the TLC it needs to be fully playable. Either way, I'm getting the vibe that the whole thing is sewn together from the guts of other folks' mods, and I've seen little to disprove the idea thus far.

Some grievance points from poking around:

- 4 megs of music for just title/intermission stuff.
- Though the basic shell of the mod is in .pk3 form, almost everything is contained in a bunch of .wads contained in the root directory, instead of splitting them up into folders. This actually affects the end-user, since this results in longer load-times. With using proper .pk3 directory structure, you can split up sprites/sounds/actor definitions into separate files in directories if you're an organization nut, without slowing things down.
- The player speed is reduced to 85%? Why? Why would you ever do this? The entire defense mechanism of Doom is the player's speed, and you're taking that away. Given the heavier monsters, you're outright crippling the player. This is never fun.
- Monsters are arbitrarily harder, though the weapons are pretty much the same unless you can get your hands on the new guns. I guess this mod isn't meant for playing any modern maps on UV. :P
- You start with the shotgun. I thought this would be so that you can replace the shotgun pickup with the SSG and the SSG pickup with the Quad, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So why is this?
- Zombiemen Rapid-fire troopers drop waaay too much ammo. 3 clips apiece? I'm able to fill up my entire stock of bullets by killing the enemies in the first hallway in MAP01. I don't trust that the ammo balance is anything other than patently ludicrous as a result of this.
- The status bar looks like this with HUD_SCALE on. This was a known issue in the earlier version of the HUD patch you borrowed, thus an upgrade might be in order.
- Blood splatters are really low-contrast, and end up looking like a flat red blob when a bunch of them stack on top of each other. Also, the huge blood smears appear to slide up walls if you look at the top part.
- The BFG9000 does splash radius damage. This prevents people from actually using the BFG the way it's historically been most effective against bosses (i.e. a point-blank hit to the face), so this change cripples it and makes it generally less effective than the normal BFG.

And now, the credit issues. First of all, the entire contents of the main credits.txt (though there is a second one for DECORATE monsters I'll mention later) is as follows:

Code: Select all

- id Software for Doom
- ZDoom's development team for ZDoom
- AgentSpork for the BIGFONT font edit
- ZDoom for the CONFONT font which I edited from
- Me, Blue Shadow, for the other stuff
Thus far, a whopping two folks are credited (Spork n' Shadow) of which the contributions aren't immediately obvious (of course id and the ZDoom devs get credit P: ). Trouble is, there's a lot more that's just not mentioned at all:

- Perkristian is not credited for the use of his smooth weapon animations.
- Logan MTM is not credited for the base of the quad-shotgun sprites. They've been modified from the originals, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else is missing credit on this front as well.
- Eriance is not credited
- For all the 'partnering' with Sergeant Mark IV you've claimed to be doing re: Brutal Doom resources, he is not credited at all, either.
- The fist is ripped straight from Zharkov Goes to the Store, my own mod. I allow said rips in the textfile, but you should at least drop my name in the text and should also note that it looks rather silly and out of place given its place in an attempting-to-be-serious mod. :P
- I'm rather sure the casing and smoke code and then some is lifted from elsewhere, though at this point, I'm going to chalk it up to "don't know off the top of my head" -- perhaps some other folks can confirm where exactly the rest of such things are from.
- The second Credits file, containing all the monster credits, credits Aerial heavily, and it got me thinking: I'm not much familar with Hard Doom, but it seems plausible that's exactly where pretty much the whole bestiary is from. Could Ghastly or someone else familiar with the mod confirm this?

So yeah, we basically have a mod that looks neat on the surface, but suggests that all the quality material was made by other folks and poorly edited together. I've only listed a few small things, thus far -- some other knowledgeable folks could probably step forward and fill in plenty of gaps I've missed. We'll see.
Project Shadowcat

TiberiumSoul wrote:the beginning part was for ed the listed features were for you dark.
That's what the Quote buttons are for!
i couldve been more specific in that area.
Combining ideas of Borderlands and then asking to be dark and foreboding with your color palette doesn't seem like you know 100% what you're doing or how you want to do it. Borderlands was never a dark game. Xaser's post above pretty much read my mind and put it into words far better than I could have.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

TiberiumSoul wrote:the beginning part was for ed
What did I do to deserve something that venomous? I never said anyone was making me play it. I thought I asked a perfectly legitimate question...
Xaser wrote:- The fist is ripped straight from Zharkov Goes to the Store, my own mod. I allow said rips in the textfile, but you should at least drop my name in the text and should also note that it looks rather silly and out of place given its place in an attempting-to-be-serious mod.
Exactly my point, especially when the final kick causes Gannon to yell "You must die!"
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Xaser wrote:- The second Credits file, containing all the monster credits, credits Aerial heavily, and it got me thinking: I'm not much familar with Hard Doom, but it seems plausible that's exactly where pretty much the whole bestiary is from. Could Ghastly or someone else familiar with the mod confirm this?
While it's not the whole lineup, this entire mod is basically an older version of Hard-Doom with a hell of a lot of stuff it doesn't need added, and some monsters changed around. Literally.

Now, please ask for proof, because I'm going to enjoy listing the evidence. :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I suppose my post was largely a cry for sources n' proof from folks who know more than I. So have at it. :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”