Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Inglorious

Re: Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Post by Inglorious »

Is there a possibility of refining the hub system or make levels a little bit easier to navigate? Any new weapons? I'd like to see that spinning blade weapon from Krull: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216 ... Glaive.jpg

Also: I'd like the Quietus sword to have a skull-splitting move. Either make it a fatality or a well timed melee attack.
Inglorious

Post by Inglorious »

Anyone have the download link for this? The link on the first page is down.
blackasm

Post by blackasm »

it would be nice to see the korax damaged sprites incorporated in this mod, it is pretty fitting after all and would save sarge a lot of work.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Thank You
Morcillete

Post by Morcillete »

I've just played through the whole game with the mod and the last map (dark crucible) seems to be broken. I think that korax can be killed too fast because after I killed him nothing happened and when I checked how the level was suposed to be, there were two rooms full of enemies that remained closed as well as the hidden portal door.
Anyway, great mod!!! I never played hexen to the end because I always found vanilla gameplay boring as hell. Apart from the expected bugs taking into account that it's a beta, this offer a "polished" touch that none of the other two brutal mods have.

Ah, I had the quietus bug too.

Btw, if you google "hexen dark crucible" you can find some unspected stuff...
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Morcillete wrote:Btw, if you google "hexen dark crucible" you can find some unspected stuff...
Some years ago I put in hexen dark bishop in hopes of finding some fan sites (because just "hexen" turned up a lot of irrelevant stuff.)

Result:

In this case I'm pretty sure the name similarity is strictly coincidence, but it gives me somewhat of a similar vibe to the game none the less.
Inglorious

Post by Inglorious »

^ That should be the theme to Brutal Hexen.
Morcillete

Post by Morcillete »

I agree.
Some black metal midis would definitely fit in any hexen wad (compared with the thrash style of most doom midis) and even better with brutal hexen XD

Btw, ETTiNGRiNDER, thanks for the video, I got to check this band...
Inglorious

Post by Inglorious »

I've been playing the Beta for most of last night and this morning for altogether 4 hours or so. Definitely improves upon the experience and I love the level up system even if it's unfinished (I noticed my attacks were leveling up but not so much my health) and the fatality on the flying enemies is epic. I have a few questions:

Possible to add an XP bar to see how far away we are from leveling up?

Do fatalities increase level up XP? Does using certain weapons increase XP gain?

Possibility to change the properties of most of the items? Because aside from the Porkulator, the Healing Quartz, and the Grenade thingies I never found a use for most of the items. I guess you could use that teleporter item but in a game where you can save and load any time it's kind of pointless. Maybe the Torch can give your weapons a flame effect? Just an idea I'm throwing out there.

On the subject of Hexen: can anyone link a really good Let's Play? I've found a few on Youtube but they don't seem to be Hexen Veterans and I'm at the 2nd hub and almost lost now.
TheBeardedJedi

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

This Let's Play (LP) is showcasing the Brutal Hexen mod with a complete walkthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eexecute
NostalgicAlgorithms

Post by NostalgicAlgorithms »

The easiest way to make a great game better.... More gore!

Seriously awesome work. Hard to go back to the stock game after playing this.
Knight_Kin

Post by Knight_Kin »

I completed a playthough of Hexen using Brutal Hexen mod, i gotta say it does add a lot to the game even in the beta 1 form. In my opinion, when the combat is more engaging and there's other parts of the game that add flavor, the puzzles only add to the game rather than frustrate.

Two bugs i've noticed. There's one that's noted on the doom wiki which, even though i have Hexen on steam and it's the patched version, has a flawed script with the mod in hub 4: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hub_4:_Gibbet

Also as a previous poster noted, killing Korax, that script is bugged. It doesn't matter even if you let all the enemies 'show up', the portal door still never opens. I killed Korax 4 different times to test it (I might put on god mode and really let the game 'sit' so i can find the conditions for the script issue). I had to noclip just so I could see the ending already, lol.

All I can say is, I'm glad there was a brutal version of Hexen; typically this game gets overlooked. I also share people's frustration with the seven portals, but one thing I will say about the puzzles in this game is that they are very rewarding when you figure them out. This game certainly does not hold your hand in that regard. I actually remembered playing this game from a long long time ago on Sega Saturn; I still have that version too.

I also wanted to share some sprite/animation work of mine:

Here is Baratus killing a dark bishop.

EDIT: I improved Daedolon's, Parias' and Baratus' walking animation. I fixed Daedolon's mage 'collar' in one of the cells, fixed his staff point in two and animated his belt and dagger so they sway into his steps. I fixed weird inconsistencies with Parias' belt and buckle. Baratus' animation needed the least amount of work, though i did fix his sword from changing color in a cell and fixed the hand/hilt plus plugged a few pixel holes/trimmed areas.

Image Image Image

EDIT: I made additional frames of animation for Daedolon's staff.

EDIT: I pixel by pixel built Daedolon an aiming sprite to base kill animations off of by building him on the enemy blue mage. I used my previous Daedolon walking animation sprites as a color palette.

Image Image Image

EDIT: I also made an alt version of his staff to match the first person weapon color using that as a color palette. I did a staff-delete sprite as well.

ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Knight_Kin on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:53 am, edited 16 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

holy snout, such a awesome improve!

well, if i got any problem of this, i got one right now.
if bishop can feeling pain, i think he need to do some reactions when he get punched...you know, rise his arms or something?
i hope his thread is keepin' update.
Scroaty79
Location: Somewhere in the great white expanse of Canadeeeerrrr

Post by Scroaty79 »

I fully approve of this project. As for music suggestions, I think getting some midi versions of the melo-thrash band HeXen would be pretty killer. Here is an example of their songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXH1BgqUcro
I'll admit that I am a die hard Thrash Metal fan, so I am completely biased when it comes to my music suggestions for the project. :mrgreen:

I'll get around to adding some useful input once I actually play the .pak, from what little I have seen though it does look like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing what it actually plays like.

*Edit: I'm not overly thrilled with the heretic crossbow sprites to be honest. It just doesn't feel like a fighter/warrior weapon to me. Otherwise it's been a blast playing through Hexen with this mod. I had all the same bugs as reported previously by others who have played through the game. There was one that was only a minor hindrance for me and it could very well be just something in my settings that I am overlooking but when I loaded up the .pak the spot where the HUD bar should be was empty. I was still able to play through without it, but it was a minor annoyance and like I said it could be just a setting I am overlooking. Good stuff though and I look forward to seeing what is done with the priest and the wizard.
Big_James_B

Post by Big_James_B »

So, joined to have my little say about this.
First off start with a "thanks" to Sarge for Brutal Doom - I just can't get enough of flipping the demons off! I pulled out my Hexen when I found this mod and decided to give it a try.

Ok, so first off the axe attack does need the smoother animation that someone uploaded earlier. The HUD seems to not like to work unless fully zoomed out. The torch pedestal thing that has already been mentioned is a problem that continues on (currently in Hub 3). Apart from these few "problems" I can't think of anything else.

My suggestions are:

-The Fighter should have more non-magical weapons at his disposal - a regular crossbow or a bow, a hammer, the morning star from the Ettins, his gloved fists. I'm not too impressed by the crossbow actually; but it does help with the imps (Afrits or whatever).
-On the discussion of fatalities; the Fighter shouldn't be the only one to do them. The Cleric should get a few - he's more of a Battle Cleric. Maybe keep the fatalities a little "tame" and only when he uses melee weapons.
-More Blood! MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
-When I was thinking of a response I had more....
-Oh - maybe being able to bind the explosive potions to a key? Like the boot from Brutal Doom.

So anyway - there's what I have to say. Enjoying Brutal Hexen so far - but not as much as Brutal Doom. Keep up the good work Sarge!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”