Released - Neighborhood from Hell V2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Released - Neighborhood from Hell

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

My reinterpretation of this map is that the Doomguy entered a house to look for supplies, and then, the hellspawn ambushed him. You SHOULDN'T go with all guns blazing since the beggining. First you must get upstairs and get the chaingun and the shotgun. Jump from the window and yet don't engage any enemy. There are many options to get started: You can either go west and find the super shotgun in the pub, then get into the other house to get the key to open the gunshop, or right after jumping from the window, go to the house to the north to get the blue key and have some advantage by forcing the monsters to all come from the same place to get you.

I might still put more ammo in the starting, but remember that this is an error and trial map. I personaly finished the map twice with vanilla weapons, and Brutal Doom, and it was very easy.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:I personaly finished the map twice with vanilla weapons, and Brutal Doom, and it was very easy.
That is because you already know what to do in the map

Still not only me, but other guys died many times in the beginning too.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:this is an error and trial map.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Vaecrius wrote:
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:this is an error and trial map.
Because the original map played like this. Try a pistol start from the original Map16. If you leave the house by the front door, an archvile will be waiting for you and you will be fucked. Open the garage door with the imps and you are fucked. Go get the Blue Key before you have a good weapon set, and you are fucked.

But anyway, I'm still going to add more ammo and health in the next version.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Aside from the lack of health and ammo in this map, I liked it. I wouldn't mind seeing a full episode or a full megawad being done in this style.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It took me about four tries to finish the map on equivalent to Ultra-Violence with ww-terror; I found myself taking shelter in houses many times to thin out crowds. The house-spawning isn't especially blatant, and Sarge at least didn't make spawns happen in a house you're already in, just when you pick up keys, I think.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

wildweasel wrote:It took me about four tries to finish the map on equivalent to Ultra-Violence with ww-terror; I found myself taking shelter in houses many times to thin out crowds. The house-spawning isn't especially blatant, and Sarge at least didn't make spawns happen in a house you're already in, just when you pick up keys, I think.
The only spawn points are in the tunnels, and monsters might manage to get inside the houses, but nothing spawns inside the houses.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Re: Released - Neighborhood from Hell V2

Update. Fixed HOMs and increased ammo and health.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

EDIT2: Didn't see the post immediately above mine, the comments below are re: first release. My first "real" playthrough after getting out of the starting house I actually had no real problem with health or ammo except at the bosses (where the problem was simply a matter of being stuck in an incurably bad, but avoidable in first instance, situation - was it intentional that you can't exit the blue store the way you entered?).

Just played again on UV.

For some reason the moment I touch any direction key the first time I played on medium, all the monsters would spawn - leaving the archvile between me and the upstairs weapons - while on UV I can reach the weapons first. Now that I'm playing on UV it's all good. :D

EDIT: Just tried again on medium, it works fine, don't know what happened although I did update my version of GZDoom earlier today.

...also omg the real gore bin aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwehpwiuerhpowuhefoish;fdljs;dflksjf
Last edited by Matt on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Played through your previous version; Where the fuck is the fifth secret? I only found four :/

Anyway, map itself looks really neat, aside those few HOMs and unpegged doors (probably fixed in new version.)
And about enemy placement... I don't know. My only real gripe was those seeking revenant missiles from goddamn other side of the map. Those killed me most of time, least six times I counted, arch-vile... three times because of me being stupid fuck and some wandering hitscanners, two times.

Overall, not a bad at all. Now loading second.

.:edit:.
Now found all secrets, yay. And only now I read that one secret door sector was bugging the hell out of me. :/
Otherwise, I don't know was it that I went familiar with the map or what, but feels... easy. On UV.

I still need to play bit more, if I can conjure some ideas to make this more interesting.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I like. :)

I did find the initial monster rush quite hard to cope with but I also thought it was in the nature of the map. For me, however, the problem was kind of reversed. OK, yes the monster rush was almost overwhelming but once you have dealt with that (and if you did it like I did - just spend your time running around and trying to eliminate every awake monster that is hunting you) the map actually becomes very easy. There was a little bit of new enemy spawning going on but by the time I was wandering around picking up keys, I was well armed and there were very few monsters to deal with so things had gotten pretty easy. I'm not sure of the best way to counter that. Certainly crass extra spawning of new enemies on key collection seems a little unsophisticated as a solution.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Enjay, have you gotten past the cyberdemon and mastermind
Spoiler:
yet? :)

But yes, it does seem a little laid-back in the time between the first onslaught and the first boss. And there never was anything quite like the original blue key ambush anywhere in the map, as far as I could tell... Right, the cyberdemon fight itself. :V No, it's right the way it is - a bit of a slow part to familiarize yourself with the map is crucial to setting up that fight.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

More clippings and other small thangs:
nhfhxa4.jpg
P.S.: (Weapons are from my QRanger WAD).
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very nice! :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vaecrius wrote:Enjay, have you gotten past the cyberdemon and mastermind
Spoiler:
yet? :)
I sort of consider (possibly incorrectly) boss-like fights as separate elements rather than part of the main gameplay continuity and my comment was made with that sort of approach in mind.

Something I spotted was that there are quite a few places where bits of houses/scenery get obscured by sky sectors. I know that it's hard to avoid in maps like this but it looks odd and it bugs me (especially when I am trying to fix it in my own maps).
Spoiler:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”