Krazy Kate! Adventures of Light & Darkness

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Crazy Kate! Adventures of Light & Darkness

Post by rollingcrow »

Why does it say 'fine' instead instead of a number for the health in the last shot?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I was experimenting with a "fuzzy" system for health that I eventually decided to drop for the numbers there now. Hence why it's in the Doom font - the Big Font that I use now was not in yet at the time, so it's an older shot. It's still there, just commented out. I included the screen to show off the Master Blade, one of the Star Power weapons of the game.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

As a random thought: The shots by themselves haven't really shown off the mod as well as a gameplay video would. Seeing it in action really dispels any notion of "crappy childish MSPaint wad" or anything of the sort -- the animation is super-smooth and effects are super-well-done, which are things static shots can't convey. Hopefully the eventual video-ness will result in an "oh, I see now" moment or two. :P
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Csonicgo wrote:Why are you such a douchenozzle, dude? I really want an answer to this. We've got all day since you want to derail threads here.

Since I probably won't get a reply, and you've already pissed off people with your lack of civility, let me state that there's a wonderful Foe/Ignore feature here. If you don't want to see people's honest work, Kinsie, you can just ignore them entirely. Or, you can just leave.
If you think I'm trying to be a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, then I'm being completely misinterpreted. I want this mod to be great as much as anyone else, but I don't see the point in just going "WOW LOOKS AWESOME :D :D :D" when there's actual issues that are worth discussing, like the HUD. I don't want to start a fight or an argument or anything else that results in weird semi-anonymous threats on Twitter, because I don't have enough time to get Mad About Video Game Mods nowadays.
Pink Silver wrote:... ... ...

What do I even say to that. Because there's literally nothing I can do to change or help an opinion like that. I mean I can get a gameplay video up later so one can make a more accurate assessment of what it's like, but that's still unlikely to change anything if you feel that strongly against the mod, in which case I'm not sure what you're posting here for. Uhm, thanks I guess? Never mind.
Like Xaser said, video will make the good sides of the mod more apparent. You've always been good at ACS coding and generally making the engine tick, and there's a lot of hoo-haa on the IRCs about some crazy new compiler system driving this thing, which makes it weird that you're almost reluctant to show it off.

If I can be entirely honest, I think you've announced this a little too early. If you kept it in the WIP thread and IRC until you had an enemy or two working and could make a video resembling how the game will play, I think I would have been a lot more receptive. But clearly, some people are pretty happy with what you've shown, so maybe I'm just hard to please.
Pink Silver wrote:The hud face was just a design decision I made afterward. Sort of a "I have some extra space to spare, so why not?" sort of thing.
Less is more.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Except that the mod-side is pretty well on its' way. Check first post.

I'm well aware that the video is 11 minutes long. I try to keep it interesting, unfortunately I forgot to show off a few things including the room-clear attack, Saving Throw, or the Throwable Shadows.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I just checked the video, and it shows a lot more promise than the initial screenshots. I'd probably make the purpose of your little buddies floating around you a bit clearer, though.

The player sounds seem kind of annoying, but that's a fairly minor detail.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Bahahahaha YES the guy with an 8-bit Pikachu avatar is going to threaten you ON THE INTERNET. That is gold. Pure gold.

I mean, what's he going to do? Seriously. That is great. That is so excellent.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Captain Ventris wrote:
Bahahahaha YES the guy with an 8-bit Pikachu avatar is going to threaten you ON THE INTERNET. That is gold. Pure gold.

I mean, what's he going to do? Seriously. That is great. That is so excellent.
"That's a nice internet forum post ya got there... pity if something were to... *PUSHES OVER A VASE* happen to it. Capische?"
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Thank you, you are finally speaking English now.
Kinsie wrote:I'd probably make the purpose of your little buddies floating around you a bit clearer, though.
They're clearly labeled via tags when you scroll over them in the inventory bar. Also when they go into the right-most bar of hearts when you actually release them.
Kinsie wrote:The player sounds seem kind of annoying, but that's a fairly minor detail.
Probably the volume. I'll play around with it and see what I can do.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What in the holy frosted ice cream cake did I just watch, who is that guy and why do I already hate him?

Anyway back on topic, I've always liked cartoony Doom mods (and "fuzzy" health systems!) and I'm definitely looking forward to this. For crits, I'd say get rid of the keybox and just let the keys sit there in the hud and speak for themselves, and definitely get rid of the cracks in the cave flats if there's no hope of ever aligning them to the wall cracks.

EDIT:
Pink Silver wrote:Throwable Shadows.
This is the best weapon ever. (Would suggest better piano sound though, esp. at the moment of impact...)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Vaecrius wrote:definitely get rid of the cracks in the cave flats if there's no hope of ever aligning them to the wall cracks.
Actually, I decided I'll probably draw outlines around some of the sectors themselves, but I can't do that while the layout isn't finished yet. I'll fix it eventually before a release with levels comes around.
Vaecrius wrote:(Would suggest better piano sound though, esp. at the moment of impact...)
Oh oops, you spotted the left-over Hexen door sound.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Actually I didn't, I just felt it needed a violent, slam-the-keyboard oh-god-I'll-never-get-these-three-bars-right-in-time-for-the-recital-everything-is-hopeless-AAAAAAARGH cacophonous crash when it hit. :D
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Pink Silver wrote:Thank you, you are finally speaking English now.
You, uh, do realize that this implies that you refuse to read any posts that aren't full of praise, right? It's not a good look.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Kinsie wrote:
You, uh, do realize that this implies that you refuse to read any posts that aren't full of praise, right? It's not a good look.
Careful, you don't want to push that Pikachu dude to action. Who knows what unspeakable things lie in store for you? Maybe he'll... send you another nasty tweet!
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Kinsie wrote:
Because:
Kinsie wrote:With that kind of Deviantart-y attitude to honest, non-hostile critique, I'll believe it when I see it.
Is certainly contributing a lot to the discussion.

I'll be honest, your attitude can be a bit rotten occasionally, which makes it hard to read your posts seriously when you're not being entirely straightforward. It's this kind of communication that bothers me, because I know there's a legitimate message in there, but it just winds up sounding like sarcastic goonery because your initial impression isn't that good. You should know that feeling.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”