Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm

karmakazi wrote:i know all my nitpicking probably comes as welcome as a Farmville invite from your Auntie, but seeing as how you already have an automated stat application script down, perhaps doing a tabled increase per use for attributes a la Bethesda (Daggerfall,Morrowind,Oblivion etc.). You could keep the exponential diminishment of returns in place but instead of an economy of scarcity, one that relies upon the individuals play style.
I have linked the Bethesda formulae for oblivion, which has a good balance of less arcane and more empowering to the player, IMHO.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Increasing_Skills

I have attempted to effect some of my own modification changes myself, Im afraid the only progress I have made that doesnt involve code dumps and a view of my desktop has been minor sprite replacements.

If you're interested in making some modifications, send me a PM. If you need help with the code or DECORATE or an explanation on how I did something, just ask.

Also:

Kyle873

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:38 pm

I like the addition of the bonuses for 100% parts of the map, it's a nice additional encouragement. How does the formula for that work though? I completed the first level of AV and got like 10k points but when I finished Map 1 of Doom 2 I think I got 0 or 4 or something.
-Ghost-

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm

It seems highly dependent on your current combo bonus, Ive uber-leveled for dropping the last mob with a high combo level, and even moreso if I luckily crossed the last secret line/grabbed the last item. Once in e2m8, I went from 42-51 in a very rare conjunction of all three.
karmakazi

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:39 pm

How do I use a shield? I've been picking up shield boosters, but is that the shield itself, or one part of a bunch I need to actually assemble the shield?
-Ghost-

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 pm

-Ghost- wrote:How do I use a shield? I've been picking up shield boosters, but is that the shield itself, or one part of a bunch I need to actually assemble the shield?

I'm about to update the download with the shield updates. the shield boosters give your shield actual power along with it's natural recharge, sort of a way for it to be charged during firefights. You start with 3 standard shield parts which combined create a basic shield. You can change each part as you acquire more to customize the shield. Right now there's only a second body, and just one battery and capacitor.
Kyle873

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Ah, okay. That sounds like a cool little RPG system. Maybe the same could be done for armor? Like instead of the different grades of one piece suits we combine boots, helmets and vests together for diablo style loot?
-Ghost-

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:01 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Ah, okay. That sounds like a cool little RPG system. Maybe the same could be done for armor? Like instead of the different grades of one piece suits we combine boots, helmets and vests together for diablo style loot?

That'll probably be a long way off. I'll probably have to learn how Hexen's armor works in proper in order to fully pull off something like that.

Edit:
Update

Just a quick rundown. Bodies can generally effect all stats and have resistances. Batteries effect capacity, capacitors effect charge rate and delay rate. Accessories will add special effects later on.

Edit:
Now the shield parts are actual parts, and combine together visually as well.

Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:18 am

Got test the new update, because I was up late watching RiffTrax and I do not understand this "sleep" thing that aboveworlders speak of. Like the changes to the timeslow, and the new stat screen is nice, but the defense reads -100% damage with no points in it, as opposed to -0%. Just take the minus out? Perhaps allow left to right navigation as there is a new dimension of movement? Cant wait to try out the new shield upgrades. Will be poking at the code when I have a REM cycle.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 am

karmakazi wrote:Got test the new update, because I was up late watching RiffTrax and I do not understand this "sleep" thing that aboveworlders speak of. Like the changes to the timeslow, and the new stat screen is nice, but the defense reads -100% damage with no points in it, as opposed to -0%. Just take the minus out? Perhaps allow left to right navigation as there is a new dimension of movement? Cant wait to try out the new shield upgrades. Will be poking at the code when I have a REM cycle.

Fixed the defense display. Also added some more basic Bodies.

Kyle873

Postby commander » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:44 am

Damn it! I've been off for a long time... too long. I lost my zdoom and now I will have to get one again. I will test this ASAP.
commander

Postby MrBoroda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 am

Awesome mod, dude! But shotgun really sucks now, it takes 2-3 shots to kill an imp at point blank.
MrBoroda

Postby karmakazi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Just wanted to pop in say that the tiered xp system feels more "right" in my opinion. Gave up on the progressive, the formula felt too prohibitive. Also, I cannot replicate the issue with the shotgun you mentioned, MrBaroda. What mods do you have running?
karmakazi

Postby Belisk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:31 pm

So since Random encounters would be possible does it mean that if I "FOR EXAMPLE"
lets say

I took a Doom 1 through 2 WAD/WAD collection and put a whole bunch more ennemies in thoses without giving them spawnpoints...Would that mean that the mod would make em appear at random like any other vanilla mob or would it take something more ?

Furthermore

Would it be possible to have random mobs spawn at random points of the map ?

Or are we stuck with with the set spawnpoint to be "drunkified" and dish out randomly picked monsters ?

...What ARE exactly the limits of it ?
Belisk

Postby Kyle873 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Belisk wrote:So since Random encounters would be possible does it mean that if I "FOR EXAMPLE"
lets say

I took a Doom 1 through 2 WAD/WAD collection and put a whole bunch more ennemies in thoses without giving them spawnpoints...Would that mean that the mod would make em appear at random like any other vanilla mob or would it take something more ?

Furthermore

Would it be possible to have random mobs spawn at random points of the map ?

Or are we stuck with with the set spawnpoint to be "drunkified" and dish out randomly picked monsters ?

...What ARE exactly the limits of it ?

Yes, that would actually work perfectly fine. The enemy randomizers override the editor ID's for their corresponding enemy, so if you place a Zombieman, you're essentially placing a Zombieman randomizer.

Yes, that could be possible through ACS, but it could be glitchy what with enemies stuck in walls and etc.

edit:
Also, each variant of an enemy has an editor ID, so you can place those in maps as well if you want to.
Kyle873

Postby -Ghost- » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm getting a lot of Unknowns in the options menu, like stat cost type and all the skill display stuff. Is that normal? I haven't seen anything about scaling stats.
-Ghost-

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects