Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Valherran wrote:1. Make the points cost more to put into the stats per 10 points.
Example: Strength 1-10 cost 1 point each, 11-20 cost 2 points each, 21-30 cost 4 points each

I actually like this idea, I might add it in as an option. Maybe I'll create a "Hardcore" options header for all these settings meant to make the game progression more difficult. :P

Update time!

So, I switched from ACS to DECORATE back to ACS to do Luck-based drops, and I've finally gotten a simple system down. Basically, in addition to the normal things an enemy drops, they'll now also drop a specific type of item at random depending on how high your luck is. for example, you need Luck > 25 for them to randomly spawn medikits, > 50 for Armor, etc. I'll obviously refine this over time, right now with a Luck of 200 there will be spam everywhere, but that's really to just stress test the idea for now.

Kyle873

Postby Ribo Zurai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Also you should prevent Imps from dropping Stat/Skill Coins/Badges, even if rarely. Let them be rare drops only from Hell Knights or stronger monsters.
Ribo Zurai

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah, I'd like most drops to be fairly scarce, especially on the higher difficulties. It'd add a lot to the sense of progression since leveling would be more of a struggle. The scaled stats sounds like a good idea as well.
-Ghost-

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Valherran wrote:1. Make the points cost more to put into the stats per 10 points.
Example: Strength 1-10 cost 1 point each, 11-20 cost 2 points each, 21-30 cost 4 points each

I've added an option to make stat costs the same as skill costs, or "progressive", as I call it.

Ribo Zurai wrote:Also you should prevent Imps from dropping Stat/Skill Coins/Badges, even if rarely. Let them be rare drops only from Hell Knights or stronger monsters.

Done.

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, I'd like most drops to be fairly scarce, especially on the higher difficulties. It'd add a lot to the sense of progression since leveling would be more of a struggle. The scaled stats sounds like a good idea as well.

I moved more valuable drops to higher-tier enemies as suggested by Ribo Zurai, so that should help mitigate this.
Kyle873

Postby yoshi314 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 am

any hint on what are these "Random 0/X" messages sometimes on screen (i haven't used the currently latest, that was on yesterday's ver.)
yoshi314

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:57 am

yoshi314 wrote:any hint on what are these "Random 0/X" messages sometimes on screen (i haven't used the currently latest, that was on yesterday's ver.)

Those were debug messages for the Luck drops, it's gone now.

edit:
Working on the unique monster system. I've revamped it a bit and just finished the Shotgun Guy.

Here are the effects and special drop associated with each color. I'm open to suggestions as to what effects some of the monsters should have, such as for blue and purple. as I haven't thought of any for them yet.

Code: Select allExpand view
Red (Strength) - Modified attack pattern (Random Rune)
Green (Defense) - No Pain Chance (Random Armor)
White (Proficiency) - Double XP/Rank (Stat Token)
Orange (Agility) - Always Fast (Time Sphere)
Pink (Vitality) - Double HP (Health)
Blue (Energy) - (EP Capsules)
Purple (Regeneration) - (Skill Token)
Dark Blue (Capacity) - (Large Ammo)
Luck (Yellow) - (4x Luck Drops)
Black (Mini-Boss) - All of the above
Kyle873

Postby southpark2010 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:05 am

When you level up or promoted to a higher rank, shouldn't the text show up on screen like '100% Monsters, Items, etc', instead of being a message at the top? Because sometimes I didn't know that I was leveled up because I was picking up items at the same time.
southpark2010
GAHH! Zombies with big guns...

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 am

If youre going to geometrically increase the cost of stat raises, wouldnt it be ok to have more stat coin drops?
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:09 am

karmakazi wrote:If youre going to geometrically increase the cost of stat raises, wouldnt it be ok to have more stat coin drops?

Yes. Every White variant enemy will drop a stat token when killed as their unique drop.

Update:

I've now added this as a 3rd stat cost option, tiered.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

Notes:
-Time stop power-up. GAWDLIEK! Also, drops a whole bunch. The Blueness is a bit overwhelming.Maybe a slight redenning of the screen, or grey. Barrels destroyed during this mode do not always explode properly. the silence is a nice touch, very shell-shock like. Perhaps a ringing of the ears and heavy breathing of the player to go with it? I thought it may make the survival bonus more worthwhile if you could enter this mode upon resurrecting, clean up the bastards that did you in and provide some breathing room.
-Shadow Uniques: Got two Shotzombies with the shadow variant. Awesome, felt like this sort of thing improves playbalance significantly. Ive always felt that even lowly zombies should have a chance to be a threat. I know youve been puzzling as to how to indicate their "special" status, but wouldnt it be fun, perhaps on the higher difficulties to not know whats gonna bring a monster down until it's dead? Perhaps maybe even ones that have a chance to respawn when youre back is turned?
-Geometric increase: maybe Im just spoiled by the old system, but i felt as if you hit the wall with skillpoint penalties a bit early. This may have been your intention though. The original Iwads wont bring you up to "I eat nails and shit ice cream" status even towards the end, I dont imagine. Ill post you the results of my playthrough of Ult.Doom on Nitemare. (Currently on E1M7, Lv.26, Highest stat 10.)
Pwads like Alien Vendetta will probably make you a sorry SOB, will playtest those as well.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Decided to re-do the Stats screen, yay or nay? (The highlighted stat that you will upgrade flashes colors, you can't see that in the screenshot obviously)

Last edited by Kyle873 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Other than the weird overlap in the vitality field, looks good to me. Also thanks for adding the jump height thing to agility, and the more verbose explanation of the capacity bonus. Maybe an indicator of rare drops increase in the luck field?
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:21 pm

karmakazi wrote:Other than the weird overlap in the vitality field, looks good to me. Also thanks for adding the jump height thing to agility, and the more verbose explanation of the capacity bonus. Maybe an indicator of rare drops increase in the luck field?

Fixed the overlap, thanks.

Yeah, I will add Chances that each specific type of drop can happen to some degree, I'll just have to think of a good way to present the information.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Kyle873 wrote:
karmakazi wrote:Other than the weird overlap in the vitality field, looks good to me. Also thanks for adding the jump height thing to agility, and the more verbose explanation of the capacity bonus. Maybe an indicator of rare drops increase in the luck field?

Fixed the overlap, thanks.

Yeah, I will add Chances that each specific type of drop can happen to some degree, I'll just have to think of a good way to present the information.

Powerups:+x%
Stat/skill Coins:+x%
Credit Drops:+x%
Munitions Drop:+x%
?
karmakazi

Postby karmakazi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm

i know all my nitpicking probably comes as welcome as a Farmville invite from your Auntie, but seeing as how you already have an automated stat application script down, perhaps doing a tabled increase per use for attributes a la Bethesda (Daggerfall,Morrowind,Oblivion etc.). You could keep the exponential diminishment of returns in place but instead of an economy of scarcity, one that relies upon the individuals play style.
I have linked the Bethesda formulae for oblivion, which has a good balance of less arcane and more empowering to the player, IMHO.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Increasing_Skills

I have attempted to effect some of my own modification changes myself, Im afraid the only progress I have made that doesnt involve code dumps and a view of my desktop has been minor sprite replacements.
karmakazi

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects