Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I was having trouble wording it properly as a constructive criticism, but the "palette swapped" zombies looked kinda bad, I meant to pitch the aura as an alternative, but wimped out.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

karmakazi wrote:I was having trouble wording it properly as a constructive criticism, but the "palette swapped" zombies looked kinda bad, I meant to pitch the aura as an alternative, but wimped out.

Ah yes, I do kind of agree. The problem with just making it Auras though in my mind is that ZDoom users won't be able to tell the difference. I'm really debating whether I just want to say "screw it" and decide that this will be a GZDoom only mod or try to keep compatibility up as much as possible.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Kyle873 wrote:
karmakazi wrote:I was having trouble wording it properly as a constructive criticism, but the "palette swapped" zombies looked kinda bad, I meant to pitch the aura as an alternative, but wimped out.

Ah yes, I do kind of agree. The problem with just making it Auras though in my mind is that ZDoom users won't be able to tell the difference. I'm really debating whether I just want to say "screw it" and decide that this will be a GZDoom only mod or try to keep compatibility up as much as possible.

Maybe a small elemental icon above their heads, with a cvar to switch them on and off?
karmakazi

Postby southpark2010 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

The 'Open Shop' option seems to be missing from the 'Customize Controls' menu, since I remember it being there in the previous version.
southpark2010
GAHH! Zombies with big guns...

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm

southpark2010 wrote:The 'Open Shop' option seems to be missing from the 'Customize Controls' menu, since I remember it being there in the previous version.

Oops, my bad. I must've deleted it by mistake adding the key binding to toggle the Shield.

edit:
Fixed.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Strafe left and right no longer seems to navigate left and right in the shop menu.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:17 pm

karmakazi wrote:Strafe left and right no longer seems to navigate left and right in the shop menu.

Make sure you have "Shop Anywhere" enabled in the Doom RPG Settings. In the next update I won't let you open the shop unless that option is enabled.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Kyle873 wrote:
karmakazi wrote:Strafe left and right no longer seems to navigate left and right in the shop menu.

Make sure you have "Shop Anywhere" enabled in the Doom RPG Settings. In the next update I won't let you open the shop unless that option is enabled.

Ah, yes. Forgot I had to restore defaults and reset in order to get the new DoomRpg cvars working. Thanks.
BTW, BrutalDoom is very compatible with your mod(without the extras.pk3), except when things are gibbed. It goes a long way towards making the RPGdoomer something less than godlike, although the AI routines are oddly half realized in a way that i dont understand, they are less stupid than vanilla monsters, and the weapon balance is much improved. Although the fatalities are goofy, you dont have to use them, and the gore effects, though a little over the top, are better than vanilla as well. I think you might find some of it's resources contribute to the sense of "newness" that your own mod brings.
The only reason I Bring this up is that I take playtesting your mod seriously, but realize this might destroy my accurate picture of the gameplay. What conflicts should I anticipate, or should I just simply test it as a standalone?
karmakazi

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Noticed a pain response from an imp who was scratching me with the shield fully charged, using a chaingun on the lift that brings you down to the exit switch in E1M2. Unable to replicate.
karmakazi

Postby Valherran » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Is this going to get an update anytime soon? The stats etc need balancing, and the unkown cluster of 500+ powerups appearing in 1 spot randomely in the map needs to be fixed.
Valherran

Postby Ribo Zurai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm not sure why, but it seems that there's something that the Cyberdemon drops that causes my GZDoom to crash right when I pick it up. At least that happens when I play the mod along Russian Overkill, didn't play the mod so far without other addons yet.
Ribo Zurai

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Valherran wrote:Is this going to get an update anytime soon? The stats etc need balancing, and the unkown cluster of 500+ powerups appearing in 1 spot randomely in the map needs to be fixed.

Yes. I know what's causing that huge powerup pile, it's my unfinished drops based on the Luck stat. I was originally doing this in ACS but decided to scrap that now in favor of using full DECORATE, which I am currently working on.

Updates may be slow for a day or two, I've reformatted my computer and need to reinstall and reconfigure everything and get things working again.

How would you suggest I balance the stats? I know 0% Damage Taken for 200 Def definately needs to go, that should probably cap out at like 25% at 200. What about Strength? I can tweak the Strength stat again, but it's a real bitch, lots of hacky DECORATE needs to be modified to change the Strength-based DamageFactor bonuses.
Kyle873

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Strength does feel like it can get a bit OP if you level for a little while in it. Maybe reduce the bonus ab it so it takes more points to start getting like +50% damage? It ends up having a cascading effect since you start killing Barons and such in a shot or two, thus leveling up even faster and putting more points into it.

I like the idea of the shield, is it on top of armor or instead of armor? One thing that always felt kind of weird for me is that there are so many armor drops. Like when you kill a group of enemies you end up with tons of pretty much everything too easily.
-Ghost-

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Strength does feel like it can get a bit OP if you level for a little while in it. Maybe reduce the bonus ab it so it takes more points to start getting like +50% damage? It ends up having a cascading effect since you start killing Barons and such in a shot or two, thus leveling up even faster and putting more points into it.

I like the idea of the shield, is it on top of armor or instead of armor? One thing that always felt kind of weird for me is that there are so many armor drops. Like when you kill a group of enemies you end up with tons of pretty much everything too easily.

The Shield replaces armor, it's a two-fold reason. One being that I hackily use armor as a way to calculate damage against the shield, by using a dummy Armor which absorbs all damage taken. Second is balancing. It's up to the player whether they want the Shield on or not, and while it defends against all damage when it has a charge, if it gets depleted, all damage will go directly to health. You may or may not want to use it depending on certain situations or scenarios.

I reduced the drop rates of the used armor a while back, but I could reduce them further if really needed. The whole idea behind the used armor was being a cheaper alternative in the shop to the regular version but with halved saved rate but the same absorb rate.
Kyle873

Postby Valherran » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Kyle873 wrote:
Valherran wrote:How would you suggest I balance the stats? I know 0% Damage Taken for 200 Def definately needs to go, that should probably cap out at like 25% at 200. What about Strength? I can tweak the Strength stat again, but it's a real bitch, lots of hacky DECORATE needs to be modified to change the Strength-based DamageFactor bonuses.

2 ways:

1. Make the points cost more to put into the stats per 10 points.
Example: Strength 1-10 cost 1 point each, 11-20 cost 2 points each, 21-30 cost 4 points each

2. Make the points require more by default.
Example: Strength 5-10 stat points per point.

This could/should apply for all of the stats, it will keep players from ROFL-Stomping the entire game by the time they get passed Dead Simple.
Valherran

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects