Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby Kyle873 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 pm

I am actually alive, just been pre-occupied with other projects, games, etc, but knowing there's still people interested in this makes me happy. :D

The last things I started working on before I got off-tracked were a Borderlands style customizable shield system and adding basic elements. I was trying to figure out what elements I should implement.

Here's my current list of things in my version:

Code: Select allExpand view
TODO
- implement a test script to use any skill at any level with option of no EP cost
- shortcut key to buy ammo for currently used weapon/option to do so automatically when it's about to be depleted.
- finish unique monster system
- elemental system - Possibly fire, ice, earth, lightning, acid, light, dark?
  Obviously not all of them I'd imagine, but those were ones that immediately came to my head
      give monsters elements
      projectile, nova, aura, hitscan? skills for each element
      resistance/amplification accessories
- shield system
   togglable on or off, replaces armor
   player takes full damage when shield is active, damage is absorbed by the shield until depleted
   upgradable capacity, charge rate and delay rate, similar to borderlands shields
   Accessories:
      absorb, nova, booster, spike, depletion effects, elemental resistances, etc
      configurable/switchable effects/upgrades?

BUGS
- Selling a badge that is not equipped, results in a penalty of 25 to that stat.
buying/finding one again allows you to equip more than 3 to rectify the penalty. I had 4 badges equipped. (unequipping them all results in a -x/3 display).
Not exactly game breaking, but I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen :P
Selling one that is equipped didn't seem to cause weird behaviour.
Kyle873

Postby karmakazi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

WOOOO! Continued development! Im not just interested in this project, I check this board every morning along with my e-mail, hoping for news. Thanks for all your hard work.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:13 am

Update Time!

- Implementing more Shield mechanics, you can now upgrade the shields capacity, charge rate and delay rate with items you can buy from the shop (and maybe find, eventually)
- Brightmaps, made them actually work properly now, also added brightmaps for my own custom sprites such as the Credits and the EP Capsule
- Merged the downloads into one to keep it easier for me to update
Kyle873

Postby Kyle873 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm

A new HUD that replaces the old crappy one set to the statusbar with this one, which I think will be more compact compared to the other one using larger numbers. I tested both with and without HUD scaling and it seems alright to me. Also, the C is a vertical bar representing the combo timer, it'll slowly disappear as the combo timer goes down to zero, to give you more information on how your combo is doing. I'm thinking of moving the XP and Rank display to the stats menu, since they do take up a lot of room to display.

edit:

Not too sure what's causing that square in the upper-left corner. It happens in both the OpenGL and Software renderer. I tried different graphics formats too and still didn't fix it.
Kyle873

Postby Ribo Zurai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Was the Shield menu supposed to be blank with nothing but the word "Shield" in it? Or it's not implemented yet? :?
Ribo Zurai

Postby Kyle873 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Ribo Zurai wrote:Was the Shield menu supposed to be blank with nothing but the word "Shield" in it? Or it's not implemented yet? :?

Not implemented yet, I'm about to start working on it soon.
Kyle873

Postby Ribo Zurai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Kyle873 wrote:
Ribo Zurai wrote:Was the Shield menu supposed to be blank with nothing but the word "Shield" in it? Or it's not implemented yet? :?

Not implemented yet, I'm about to start working on it soon.

Oh I see. Good luck, the updates are looking great so far. :wink:
Ribo Zurai

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:14 am

Maybe you could add some sort of teleporter beacon you can buy at the store that lets you call in marine reinforcements? That way if someone had a lot of credits but wasn't specced to summon them through the abilities they'd still have them.
-Ghost-

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 am

-Ghost- wrote:Maybe you could add some sort of teleporter beacon you can buy at the store that lets you call in marine reinforcements? That way if someone had a lot of credits but wasn't specced to summon them through the abilities they'd still have them.

This is a good idea. I'll throw it in the list.

edit:
Shield Progress

Kyle873

Postby TUACV » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:22 am

Maybe you could make the shop and skills menu a little more visually attractive rather then just plain text like working with icons as in the shield menu.
TUACV

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 am

Would you consider a colored aura for the unique monsters?
karmakazi

Postby Big C » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

Did you disable the Summoning skills?
Big C

Postby Belisk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 am

Dunno how people will react to this but...How about Random encounters ?

As in the ennemies are shuffled around a bit as in you have an actual chance of fighting nothing but zombies on one level and then next level you find yourself with like a map filled with barons of hell and whatnot ?
Belisk

Postby karmakazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 am

Belisk wrote:Dunno how people will react to this but...How about Random encounters ?

As in the ennemies are shuffled around a bit as in you have an actual chance of fighting nothing but zombies on one level and then next level you find yourself with like a map filled with barons of hell and whatnot ?

If you ever played randomized maps back in the day, you'd realize that it can get pretty out of hand, sometimes downright unplayable. Imagine starting a new game of doom2 and looking at the backs of a cyberdemon and an archvile and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps a tabled randomization (lower level monsters, mid-level, etc.). I was thinking about this myself and I think that a randomized dungeon system like Diablo would be pretty badass, but that it would have to be a significant improvement from the old school randomizers to be fun.
karmakazi

Postby Kyle873 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 am

karmakazi wrote:Would you consider a colored aura for the unique monsters?

Yes. Good idea. I'll try it.
edit: Done.

Big C wrote:Did you disable the Summoning skills?

Yeah, I'm going to revamp them at some point. As a stopgap I'll probably add those teleporter beacons that someone else mentioned as an idea.

Belisk wrote:Dunno how people will react to this but...How about Random encounters ?

This would actually be doable, but it would require some randomizer-breaking settings. Maybe what I'll do is add that into an extra optional file.

Made the position of the Skill Data display on the HUD customizable through the menu and CVARs. It's not perfect yet but it works and will let you put it where you'd like.

Update
Kyle873

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects