Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby amv2k9 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

yoshi314 wrote:also, rage rune doesn't seem to affect some weapons - is that by design?
Depending on how the weapon is coded, it may not be affected by 2x firing speed powerup. I forget what causes this...
amv2k9
That Strife Guy

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 am

Using 1-tic durations, probably.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kyle873 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:00 am

Yeah sorry, been off and on a lot. Still working on stuff and making periodic updates to the beta build so I can work on it between places/computers. I've got a todo list as well that I'm slowly working away at as well. I'll write more later today, I'm tired as hell atm.
Kyle873

Postby yoshi314 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 am

we could use some more ranks. i maxed out the rank about 2/3 through the cchest4 wad (although they have obscene amounts of enemies). that was a bit disappointing ;)

maybe they are just scaled to work well with classic doom levels.

btw i hit a major slowdown on map29 in cchest4 with zdoom and this mod. it's so bad that game simply drops to 1-2 fps even if there is not that much on the screen. did a similar problem occur to anyone else ?
yoshi314

Postby manbearpig » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:32 am

Firstly, I love this project. I cant stop playing it, its exactly what ive been seeking in a doom wad for a while. I have been trying to set up a DoomRPG style project that my friends and I (and whatever other random players) could play on Zandronum and roleplay tons of random custom doom maps. Unfortunatly, I have been unable to get this rpg wad to work on the Zandronum engine.

Here is the error code:
Spoiler:

Any chances of getting a fix for this in the near future so that it can be played online??
manbearpig

Postby wildweasel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:20 pm

It would seem that in order for it to run on Zandronum, a number of features would need to be completely removed (the skill definitions) and the scripts would need to be converted from named to numbered, as Zandronum does not seem to support either one of them.

My advice would be to bug Zan's developers to update to a newer ZDoom revision.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby commode7x » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 pm

I downloaded this mod a few days ago, and played through Ultimate Doom with it, and I have to say that it's fantastic. My only issue is that after a certain point, the game becomes ridiculously easy. Once you've gotten a BFG, you can just buy Endless Runes and run around the level blasting everything. Add in Rage Runes for extra pwnage and if you want to be invincible, add in a Drain Rune.

I've been trying to see if I can remove the Endless Rune from the files, but I actually have no idea how to code stuff, and the files don't seem to be usable in any kind of standard format, like Notepad++. Still, the important parts of the mod seem to work, like being able to equip an accessory and the XP and stats. I can't wait for Projectiles, Summoning, and Shields to be coded to make the Skill Points that players accumulate useful.
commode7x

Postby krokots » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I love this mod. Hopefully it will get to 1.0 with all features.
krokots

Postby insightguy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm

@commode7x

Slade 3. Look it up
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:07 am

The amount of keybinds this mod makes me have is absurd and it's really clunky. I can't possibly fit all the keys needed to work the menus around WASD and it's driving me nuts. I like how Psycho handles it; there's one menu that lets you do everything related to character development and all of the functions outside of opening up that menu are done with keys that I already have bound to things that are comfortable for me.

It is still a beta though, so maybe you'll improve on that in the future. I dunno.
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter

Postby commode7x » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

insightguy wrote:@commode7x

Slade 3. Look it up

Last time I used Slade 3, it didn't work with these files. Looking it up did absolutely nothing and was completely unhelpful.

If only Doom files were easy to use without having to practically take a class on file editing and coding.
commode7x

Postby amv2k9 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm

commode7x wrote:
insightguy wrote:@commode7xLast time I used Slade 3, it didn't work with these files.
Uh, how? You open the pk3 with Slade3, and it will show the directory structure (since its a pk3 and not a wad). Then, use Find & Replace (a button for it is located at the far right of the screen, just above the main editing window when you're text editing), then search for the actor's name in the text files.

Heck, you don't even need Slade3 since this is distributed as a pk3; they're just zips with a different file extension. Rename it to zip, then extract the archive and hunt through the text files for appropriate actor.
twinkieman93 wrote:...I like how Psycho handles it; there's one menu that lets you do everything related to character development...
Psychic.
amv2k9
That Strife Guy

Postby twinkieman93 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 am

amv2k9 wrote:
twinkieman93 wrote:...I like how Psycho handles it; there's one menu that lets you do everything related to character development...
Psychic.

Yeah, I know, honest mistake. Don't be a jerk. :P
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter

Postby Jakizakiflaki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm

how i use big tokens ?
and why i cant skill summon friends ?
and why fireball etc has no animation?
cool mod tho :D
Jakizakiflaki

Postby Tapwave » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Jakizakiflaki wrote:how i use big tokens ?
and why i cant skill summon friends ?
and why fireball etc has no animation?
cool mod tho :D

That was explained much earlier. Big tokens give small tokens, summons don't work yet, fireball isn't fully implemented.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects