Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Postby Kyle873 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 am

TTK_86 wrote:I cannot move to left or right in the shop menu. Nice work with the unique monster system!

The code now checks the shop anywhere variable. If it's set to only allow shopping at the Outpost, you can't switch pages. Enable shop anywhere to allow page switching.
Kyle873

Postby Vigilante » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:19 am

Kyle873 wrote:The issue is that when you leave the current level you're in, it will reset the level

This is not an issue at all! This allows experience grinding. If the shop can allow warp to the start of any map, it's enough to "resume". What would be excellent is if the power&thoughness of monsters can scale by map number: map02 = 110%, map03 = 120% etc. Then it's up to the player to go back to earlier maps if his personal development doesn't catch up. Or jump a map if he feels like it. A starting player may be able to warp to map30, but is it wise if monsters deal and take 390% damage ?
Vigilante

Postby Kyle873 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am

Vigilante wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:The issue is that when you leave the current level you're in, it will reset the level

This is not an issue at all! This allows experience grinding. If the shop can allow warp to the start of any map, it's enough to "resume". What would be excellent is if the power&thoughness of monsters can scale by map number: map02 = 110%, map03 = 120% etc. Then it's up to the player to go back to earlier maps if his personal development doesn't catch up. Or jump a map if he feels like it. A starting player may be able to warp to map30, but is it wise if monsters deal and take 390% damage ?

Aagh that's such a good idea! Unfortunately it's not possible. The closest I guess I could get is increasing the DamageFactor they do to you based on the level number in ACS. I'll have to experiment. And yes, you will have access to any level from the start via the transport system I'll add to the base.

edit:
There we go, half-assed level teleporter done. :P

edit:
And now sectors to restore your HP/AP/EP for moneys (5 credits for 5 units, may increase it later)
Kyle873

Postby yoshi314 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 am

Vigilante wrote:

well, there is one problem with that - i switched to new version of the mod, and exp has rescaled. i ended up at lvl 100, but with no way to spend my points (and my stats dropped quite a lot). i had to restart, and i was in the middle of 30-map wad. :? it's a major hassle to redo some levels just to catch up with exp (well, there are cheat commands to boost your exp, but still).

bugs:
- game tends to automatically distribute your stat points, even when configured not to. i actually rarely get the chance to assign any manually at level up.

some random ideas/questions :
- some kind of health bars over enemies or borderlands-style damage display would be neat. but i doubt it's possible. it's a bit annoying when you keep pumping them with lead for a good while and they don't die. some indication that would display enemy's health would be neat.

- automatic level up skill point assignment could assign them in proportion to existing assignment -if e.g damage and proficiency have the highest amount of stat points assigned, they should be favored when game is automatically assigning points at next level up. (or maybe such a feature it's already there, and i didn't notice?)

notes:
from the 1st post :
Due to limitations, when first running you may need to restore your options to default then exit and reload ZDoom. This is because there is no way to Initialize CVARs on game load. IF there's a way around this, I haven't found it yet.
from what i found, you have to run the command that initializes doom-rpg specific config variables to default, otherwise most of them are unset and cannot be changed from the menu (except for monster/barrel respawn). i forgot its name atm, it's in KEYCONF.TXT inside the mod file.
Last edited by yoshi314 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoshi314

Postby commander » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am

IDK why my "Shop anywhere" option is Unknown? Any help?
commander

Postby yoshi314 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 am

do the thing i mentioned. open console, issue a command

Code: Select allExpand view
drpg_defaults

and it should work now.
yoshi314

Postby Djiel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Excellent mod, have been playing Ultimate Doom with this, together with Mr. Chris' Brutalized maps.. lots of fun :D

I have a few comments/suggestions/bug reports/etc; (played with v0.8 of the mod and GZDoom r1455)
-Selling a badge that is not equipped, results in a penalty of 25 to that stat.
buying/finding one again allows you to equip more than 3 to rectify the penalty. I had 4 badges equipped. (unequipping them all results in a -x/3 display).
Not exactly game breaking, but I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen :P
Selling one that is equipped didn't seem to cause weird behaviour.
-Have not tried the last 2 difficulties as of yet, but 'Very Hard' isn't really hard at all.
Played through all 4 episodes, leaving me at lvl73 with stats like these:
Spoiler:

And as you can see on the amount of health, I barely got hit (white armour) and nothing ever stood a chance because with 175 strength everything dies without problems.
-Yellow Aura says it can give random tokens, but in all the times that I have used it, I've never gotten a single one.
-HUD without stretch is very small on 1080p (see screen above) but with it on it is far too big (I understand your personal need for it).. is there some way it can be somewhere in between?
-A small description in the shop showing how much the tokens actually give would be really useful.
Not quite sure right now how much they all give and if the price difference is justified like that.
-In this topic, it was said somewhere that the discount giving less credits for selling is intentional. That does not make much sense to me.. skills like these in RPGs always lower buying price and increase selling price :o
-What does the survival bonus actually do? and what "other things" does luck give you? :P
-Not sure if I missed this but the Fireball skill does not do anything, yet uses up EP

Guess that's it for now. Once again; excellent mod, hope you will continue to update it :)

EDIT: Not sure if it is fixable, but items disappear when 'crushed' by doors or ceilings.
Djiel

Postby commander » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:20 am

Djiel wrote:EDIT: Not sure if it is fixable, but items disappear when 'crushed' by doors or ceilings.

This is default Doom mechanic dude, as monsters corpse are crushed by doors or ceilings too. :)
commander

Postby yoshi314 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am

health continues to regenerate in shop, even if shop menu pauses the game. also, if you move quickly and enter the shop, you will slide for a moment, while the rest of the game is paused.
yoshi314

Postby Djiel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 am

commander wrote:This is default Doom mechanic dude, as monsters corpse are crushed by doors or ceilings too. :)

Doh, of course.. silly me! haha
Djiel

Postby Naniyue » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Oooooooo! Another DooM action RPG! Looking forward to future updates!
Naniyue
TTThhppttt!!!

Postby commander » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Another huge bug found. Sell your 1 of your badges and your current equipping badge count will decrease for 1. I repeat this till I get -3/2 badge (in Nightmare difficulty). This means you could bug your way to equip more badges than the difficulty limits.

Here's a screenshot:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=334553583307815&set=a.241810712582103.51706.100002595275437&type=1&theater
commander

Postby Djiel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 pm

I inspected the badge bug a little further.. you lose 25 in stat x, every time you sell badge x
but again; only if it is not equipped!
So yea.. this definitely requires attention.

I messed about with summoning some cybers, since they drop badges and I ended up with -75 vitality resulting in -613hp lol.
Djiel

Postby Kyle873 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

commander wrote:Another huge bug found. Sell your 1 of your badges and your current equipping badge count will decrease for 1. I repeat this till I get -3/2 badge (in Nightmare difficulty). This means you could bug your way to equip more badges than the difficulty limits.

Here's a screenshot:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=334553583307815&set=a.241810712582103.51706.100002595275437&type=1&theater

Added to my to-do list.

I'll be working on this today, need a break from insane 4-player BL2 co-op.

edit:
Just finished a nice reward system for finding 100% kills, items, secrets and a nice bonus if you manage to 100% find/get all three.
Kyle873

Postby yoshi314 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 am

after some more testing :

i think something is wrong with weapon balance, but i cannot quite put my finger on it. classic shotgun is somehow mostly useless, even after investing a lot into damage stat. which is why i tend to run around with SSG all the time. even chaingun seems to be a much more effective weapon.

also, rage rune doesn't seem to affect some weapons - is that by design?

- at higher strength levels enemies get pushed back by your weapons. even the boss class enemies. given their size, this looks a bit unnatural. you can also push them off ledges or up the stairs (if those are quite flat). big enemies shouldn't be pushed back 5m after one SSG shot.

- the enemy drops could vanish after some time. especially if you have no way to reach them. they cause clutter on map (esp if you get the map bonus) and in some extreme cases could slow down the game.
yoshi314

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects