Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
commander

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Post by commander »

Kyle873 wrote:Sorry all, I haven't been coding much lately because I haven't been feeling well, I'll get to the issues when I stop feeling like utter shit. :/
Just take your time. :D
commander

Post by commander »

Ok about the god aura. It's very abusive. When you get it to lvl 6, you could get 500 combo easily. Activate it, kill a bunch of enemies, lvl up again then you will have enough ep to activate it again. This works in massive map wad like Scythe 2. I get 532 combo through 2 map. :?
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i wonder if it's a mod problem, zdoom problem or sound problem.

sometimes when running and gunning around with super shotgun it produces a double shot sound, and *i think* it does actually quickly shoot twice. it happens now and then. anyone can reproduce this ?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

just curious, does this work with other custom weapon wads?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

insightguy wrote:just curious, does this work with other custom weapon wads?
I had a look through the code in DoomRPG.pk3, and it doesn't seem the weapons are replaced at all, but the experience-giving code is in the monsters, so if the mod you intend to use contains replaced monsters (i.e. Brutal Doom, Terrorists, Lizard Squad), you will not earn experience.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

some more problems i think could use some improvement :

- invulnerability sphere is too cheap.
- you cannot activate selected inventory item without bringing up the inventory.
- combo can be broken if an enemy takes too long to kill.
- rank based payments can be easily abused. you just have to sit around doing nothing and watch the money flow in. maybe they should be dependent on distance travelled, instead of being given in regular time intervals.
- when in shop menu, you can still interact with game world objects with use key.

ideas/suggestions
- there could be some stat/skill affecting reload speed/firing rate of weapons, where applicable, similar to effects offered by various runes.
- a stat that would make spectres a bit more visible could be nice (obviously depends on the doom client you use, would help a lot in zdoom), or one that would indicate enemy positions in the immediate vicinity.
- powerups and runes could have duration time dependent on player's level (assuming they don't already)
- an option which would make shop offer only items you have found so far (maybe except for ammo). e.g. you would not be able to buy weapons you haven't found yet, nor the powerups. might be a nice extra optional handicap for highest difficulty levels.
- shortcut key to buy ammo for currently used weapon/option to do so automatically when it's about to be depleted.
- exp/rank bonus for discovering a secret ?
- exp/rank bonus for 100% kills/secrets/items on a given level ?
- exp/rank bonus for doing a combo without taking damage (doesn't apply when using invulnerability, healing or regeneration) or by taking minimal damage (e.g < 10% of health)
- exp/rank bonus for doing a combo while staying in critical health condition

- negative runes, with harmful effects.
commander

Post by commander »

Some new accessories I've just thought of:
- Chaingun hi-speed spinner: make the chaingun's alt-mode spin up time shorter (50% maybe?).
- Super shotgun barrel choker: reduce the SSG's spread.
- BFG 9000's power conservator: reduce the ammo cost to 30 per shot (this should be expensive like... erm... 50000 credits maybe?).
- Enhanced knuckles: gives extra damages for the fist (for stealthy kills I guess).
- Hellfire rockets: make the rockets fly faster.
- Piercing bullets: make pistol shots penetrating.
- Plasma rifle's scope: gives zoom.
- Chainsaw nuclear engine: increase the chainsaw's spin speed.

Thanks for reading.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

yoshi314 wrote:- you cannot activate selected inventory item without bringing up the inventory.
scratch that, it seems to work. i might have had some random issues, so it would fail. or maybe it depends on the item.
commander

Post by commander »

A screen shot for the God Aura abusing problem that I mentioned earlier.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

pain elementals summon lost souls like crazy on higher difficulty levels, imho. it could be a bit toned down, two of these guys can quickly produce a nearly endless supply of enemies (also, exp abuse ;) )
commander

Post by commander »

yoshi314 wrote:pain elementals summon lost souls like crazy on higher difficulty levels, imho. it could be a bit toned down, two of these guys can quickly produce a nearly endless supply of enemies (also, exp abuse ;) )
Yes I agree.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Yikes. Looks like I missed quite a few posts. I'm still here, just been preoccupied with Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2. They're kind of eating my life. :P

Anyway, I've actually updated the mod. I've started working on a "unique" monster system. Basically unique colored variants of monsters will sometimes spawn instead of normal monsters with additional bonuses. Killing them gets you extra XP and other stuff. I've only done the Zombieman right now, but the idea is there and I'll eventually expand it onto the other monsters as well.

Code: Select all

/* --- Unique Monster System ---

Each monster has a chance to turn into one of 10 colors, this will give them a specific bonus
Killing a unique monster will give you double XP than normal, and possibly other rewards

Red (Strength) - Modified attack patterns
Green (Defense) - No Pain Chance
White (Proficiency) - Double XP/Rank Gain
Orange (Agility) - Always Fast
Pink (Vitality) - Double HP
Blue (Energy) - Emits damage (equal to health) when killed
Purple (Regeneration) - Always Drops 1-3 Big EP Capsules
Dark Blue (Capacity) - Drops extra ammo
Luck (Yellow) - Increased/Rare Drops
Black (Mini-Boss) - All of the above :O
I've also taken a second stab at doing the UAC Outpost idea. I'm moving all the shops there so you can't access them out in the field anymore (well you CAN, but that's now a debugging feature that's disabled by default, but since there's no way to get to the Outpost map legitimately, use "pukename debugshop 1") The outpost will have the Shops, healing facilities, maybe some sort of forging system, an arena, etc. I'm not a good mapper by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm slowly working away at it. There's no possible way to get there at the moment short of using the console ("map outpost" if you want to see what I've done so far). I haven't decided how to implement the transport system yet. The issue is that when you leave the current level you're in, it will reset the level. The only way to fix this is by hubbing every level together, but that requires me to overwrite MAPINFO entries and potentially break many pwads. I think I'll leave it at a point where you can use an inventory item to transport to the outpost, then re-use it to go back to the level you were currently on (albeit the level will be reset :/).

Oh, and the God Aura is gone.

Now for some of the stuff posted earlier:

@yoshi314
- The prices still need adjustment, probably in the direction of upwards :P
- The combo is supposed to be broken if you take too long to kill an enemy, that's intentional
- I thought about doing it this way, but I can't think of a good way to keep track of distance
- Shop menu interacting in the world, can't do much about that unless I move the buy key to a key that isn't use

Ideas:
- Could, but again, this also comes down to creating shitloads of new weapons in DECORATE with slightly modified states, which I really don't want to do, it would also break weapon mod compatability
- Not possible
- Not possible
- Could maybe be done, but see above, the shop won't be as easily accessible anymore
- Good idea, could definately do that
- You gain rank for discovering secrets already
- Adding to the list
- On the list
- This one won't be possible
- On the list
- Haha, that'd be such a dick move, but it's definately doable :P

@commander:
Good ideas. Lord Misfit also mentioned this idea a bit ago, which I initially shrugged at, but then realized it would actually be fairly easy with A_JumpIfInventory in DECORATE

I didn't touch the Pain Elemental DECORATE, it's spawning things at a vanilla rate. If it really iss too fast, I can modify it.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

hm, i've been already encountering red zombies. i thought they were simply tougher.
I'm moving all the shops there so you can't access them out in the field anymore (well you CAN, but that's now a debugging feature that's disabled by default, but since there's no way to get to the Outpost map legitimately, use "pukename debugshop 1") The outpost will have the Shops, healing facilities, maybe some sort of forging system, an arena, etc.
well, i'd opt for having this as an option. playing custom map wads will be very hard or even impossible without being able to stock up on ammo in the shop.

i'm doing community chest 4 wad with this mod, and sheer amounts of enemies make me run out of ammo often. it's cool and all for classic maps, but some people will eventually play custom wads with that mod. i'd rather not have an option that would break custom map experience permanently enabled with no way out of it.

btw some few minor ideas
- a skill/rune that will cause enemy infighting in immediate area at random (might be impossible due to target calculation in game's code)
- haste rune could additionally slow down the enemies, or at least their projectiles (except for hitscans of course).
- luck or similar skill could affect item drops, e.g. make it more likely for enemies to drop ammo. (as a workaround for shop modification). so, on custom wads a player could invest in that skill so that ammo drops get more likely.
I didn't touch the Pain Elemental DECORATE, it's spawning things at a vanilla rate. If it really iss too fast, I can modify it.
hmm, odd. maybe the wad i use alters it. perhaps bringing down the amount of souls it can spawn could help here.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Added shopping anywhere as an option.
TTK_86

Post by TTK_86 »

I cannot move to left or right in the shop menu. Nice work with the unique monster system!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”