Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
zerosignal983

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Post by zerosignal983 »

If you are having trouble with RPG 0.10 like I did, I uploaded 9.14 just now. It will work with RLA properly, and seems much more stable (sorry Kyle)!

Doom RPG 0.9.14
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5XH_ ... 1NlMVF4MG8
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I've been playing a new game with 0.9.14 to see if I can force the script crash to occur. It doesn't seem to be happening so far, although there are still some issues. Like with the most recent version, there are still major slowdowns whenever there are about 100 enemies on alert at the same time. The only way to remedy this (I already have special effects and most graphics options turned down) is to somehow kill them while dealing with the slideshow.

The other issue, which I have no idea what causes it, is that on large maps with lots of enemies the game can lock up. I don't mean just GZDoom crashing or freezing, I mean it locks up my entire computer, forcing me to hit the reset button. This does happen with other mods with tons of effects going on at the same time, but it's rare. It happens fairly regularly with this mod.

There are several things I like about the 0.9x versions over the 0.10x:

* The injector at the UAC Outpost is useful. Early in the game, it's much cheaper than buying a small stim, which goes for 600 C. Stat vials only cost 10 C each to load into the injector, while powerup vials cost 100 C. This also has the benefit of not raising your toxicity or immunity; I often end up with hundreds of stims and no way to get rid of them, and have sometimes filled stims that kill me upon use.
* I prefer the UNATCO HQ background music for the UAC Outpost, over whatever the new soundtrack is. I can barely even hear the soundtrack in 0.10x because the mechanical humming noise drowns it out.
* The ability to sell continues. Depending on the map set, I typically end up with more than 50 of these. In the early game, they can be a great help in earning some extra cash. I never even use them anyway, because if you're playing in a way that uses up a lot of continues / extra lives, you're probably doing something wrong.
* The ability to buy and sell various health items. Early on when you don't have much money, and are about to die, a cheap stimpak can be helpful. Now, I understand why this was switched to the new system where health items are stored in a single medical kit, but there are advantages and disadvantages. Would the ability to toggle this feature work?
* A single immunity crystal. This is much easier to keep track of than an immunity crystal for each individual damage type, especially when you're riffling through your inventory to find the correct type. I also did not appreciate how the crystals in 0.10x could be shattered and spray shards all over the place, killing my framerate and causing a glitch with the barrier effect where it would turn black and stay on the map permanently. This was especially bad when an enemy dropped an immunity crystal in the heat of battle and one of my stray shots shattered it.
* The simple payout message. This feature already worked in 0.9x, and you'd get a simple message up top saying that the UAC has paid you a certain amount of credits. The blue "PP" sign that flashes in 0.10x is completely unnecessary.
Last edited by Frozenwolf150 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGmanID

Post by TheGmanID »

Zerosignal, I am also having this issue of not being able to scroll through weapons or choose class, I'll do a complete fresh download and install later and see if it works then, but it does seem that running D64StuffGZ with Doom RL seems to break it, and yeah I have edited it in slade.

I did get a chance to walk around a couple of your maps though and they do look pretty awesome.
TheGmanID

Post by TheGmanID »

Alright I THINK I fixed it, you need to use slade to open D64StuffGZ and delete "KEYCONF.txt" and it seems to fix everything, I'll have to play some of it and report back if it works or not, it's looking good so far though.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I've just about finished crash testing v 0.9.14 with GZDoom 2.2.0. I'm about 1/3 of the way through a megawad and it has not crashed at all yet. I might have experienced some slowdowns on more heavily populated maps, but nothing I did could reproduce the runaway script glitch. I got my character maxed out, got all my equipment fully upgraded, maxed out and repeatedly used the turret, but I couldn't get the glitch to occur.

I still have to try this with a slaughtermap wad to see if I can force it, but so far it seems 0.9x is far more stable than 0.10x. Whatever changes were made to the ACS between 0.9.14 and 0.10.1 may be responsible.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Could just be your luck because when I was using 9.14 I had just as much problems (except for the ones that were related to specific things like mission crashes, which are now fixed anyway). I would get the same turret crashes on 9.14 as 10, too. I think TheLightBad96 (known as TheThingThing on these forums I think) has done several full megawad playthroughs on 10 seemingly without too much crashing problems.
zerosignal983

Post by zerosignal983 »

TheGmanID wrote:Zerosignal, I am also having this issue of not being able to scroll through weapons or choose class, I'll do a complete fresh download and install later and see if it works then, but it does seem that running D64StuffGZ with Doom RL seems to break it, and yeah I have edited it in slade.

I did get a chance to walk around a couple of your maps though and they do look pretty awesome.
D64stuffgz works just fine with it, I even did a fresh install using my guide recently and everything was 100%; make ~sure~ your file versions match. I installed with the most recent versions of gzdoom first to test it, against my own advice on the thread, and it did exactly what you are talking about.

Barring that, my next guesses are problems with your load order or file structure.
TheGmanID

Post by TheGmanID »

As I said in my post after, I deleted KEYCONF.txt from D64stuffGZ, and it works now.
zerosignal983

Post by zerosignal983 »

Woops. Glad you got it working! Yup, I missed that when backtracking & compiling my step by step list. :( I just opened an unmodified and checked against my edits, and keyconf was missing. Sorry guys/gals
I'm going to hop back to my directions and add that.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Someone64 wrote:Could just be your luck because when I was using 9.14 I had just as much problems (except for the ones that were related to specific things like mission crashes, which are now fixed anyway). I would get the same turret crashes on 9.14 as 10, too. I think TheLightBad96 (known as TheThingThing on these forums I think) has done several full megawad playthroughs on 10 seemingly without too much crashing problems.
Version v0.10.0 to be exact, and yeah no crashes, mind you I never used the DoomRPG turrets and stuck to using DoomRLA for the mod. the only problems I have experienced happened when I got hit with the CONFUSION Debuff and it would pretty much Kill the mod " I cant access the Doom RPG menu or any other Doom RPG Stuff" and that would require me to restart GZDoom.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Running the 0.9.14 posted by zerosignal, and I'm getting this error whenever I return to the home base, either manually or the auto option upon fishing the map:

Spoiler:
Load order, if it matters:
doomrl_arsenal_1.05
doomrl_arsenal_HUD
doomrl_monsters_beta.6.2
DoomRPG
DoomRPG-RLMonsters
DoomRPG-Brightmaps
sounds.pk (that sound folder made by WW that changes the gun sounds)
sunlust_betaR3.zip (the megawad I'm playing. Seems to crash once I have hit map05, as finishing the level or manually going back to base will cause the crash.)
TheGmanID

Post by TheGmanID »

Right so I was using 0.10 and started getting that gamebreaking bug frequently at about Map15 on the hell on earth starter pack (The bug that seems to disable all DoomRPG features, menus, skills, everything really)
So now that I've come back I see people recommending this 9.14 version yet TheLightBad/TheThingThing seems to be running 0.10 fine on their youtube playthroughs, so what should I be running?
Is Thing Thing using an earlier version of 0.10 and some hotfix released later broke everything?
And what was that about the confusion Debuff, that's what causes that issue?
I always found that it just seemed to happen sometimes when I'd change level, and I'd have to reload about two levels back or something.

Also what's the situation with development on this mod? I know that Kyle passed the torch to someone else, is this other developer on Hiatus or have they given up on this too?

Also, is TUTNT still functional for this with the use of the patch?
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I may have spoken too soon. Version 0.9.14 doesn't seem compatible with any mapsets made for Plutonia. I was playing DRPG + RLA with the megawad Plutonia Revisited, which requires you to use Plutonia as the main IWAD or else it will be missing textures. However, all the weapon drops from enemies or crates have been replaced with the Neural Stunner sprite. Picking them up results in the same SFX as picking up a Neural Stunner, but you don't get the actual weapon since the game isn't sure what to do.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I may have spoken too soon. Version 0.9.14 doesn't seem compatible with any mapsets made for Plutonia. I was playing DRPG + RLA with the megawad Plutonia Revisited, which requires you to use Plutonia as the main IWAD or else it will be missing textures. However, all the weapon drops from enemies or crates have been replaced with the Neural Stunner sprite. Picking them up results in the same SFX as picking up a Neural Stunner, but you don't get the actual weapon since the game isn't sure what to do.
That just sounds like you left the Commander Keen mode on in DRLA, honestly.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Yholl wrote:
Frozenwolf150 wrote:I may have spoken too soon. Version 0.9.14 doesn't seem compatible with any mapsets made for Plutonia. I was playing DRPG + RLA with the megawad Plutonia Revisited, which requires you to use Plutonia as the main IWAD or else it will be missing textures. However, all the weapon drops from enemies or crates have been replaced with the Neural Stunner sprite. Picking them up results in the same SFX as picking up a Neural Stunner, but you don't get the actual weapon since the game isn't sure what to do.
That just sounds like you left the Commander Keen mode on in DRLA, honestly.
Yeah, you're right. I just didn't remember turning it on.

Although now I'm getting the same error as I mentioned before. It won't even start because GZDoom keeps giving me the error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, ":actors/doomrl/powerups.txt" line 37:
Unexpected '255' in definition of 'RLInvulnerabilitySpherePickupGiver2'

The weird thing is that I had just shut down GZDoom a minute ago and didn't change any of the options. It started up fine the last time, but then this started to happen again. I checked the line in question in Notepad++ but it looks like the 255 is part of the color definition. Changing it to any other value results in the same error message.

The entire string of errors looks like this:
Spoiler:
ETA: And I just figured out the cause. For some reason the launcher switched my Doom RPG directory to the newer v0.10.1 and was trying to use the DRLA patches from that one, instead of from the 0.9.14 folder. I keep multiple DRPG directories in my GZDoom folder so that I can test each version. Even though I told it to switch back to the 0.9.14, it kept trying to use the wrong patches. The funny thing is that when the opposite happened, and it used the 0.9.14 patches with 0.10.1, it actually ran smoothly. (I do not recommend this though, as it messes with the shop prices.)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”