Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.8 Beta]

Post by wildweasel »

yoshi314 wrote:sorry for lack of replies - been away.

the error i got was with svn build of zdoom. i also use svn build of gzdoom. i'll experiment some more to figure it out.
"an SVN build" isn't nearly specific enough - which one are you using? You can see the build number (r####) in the console.
commander

Post by commander »

Ok I've encountered a very weird thing. Get your aura activated while you have a corresponding power up (like Red aura while you're having strength rune) will disable that corresponding effect of the aura PERMANENTLY. Now my red aura only increase Fire speed. :( IDK if its a bug.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

commander wrote:Ok I've encountered a very weird thing. Get your aura activated while you have a corresponding power up (like Red aura while you're having strength rune) will disable that corresponding effect of the aura PERMANENTLY. Now my red aura only increase Fire speed. :( IDK if its a bug.
O_O Yikes, looking into it ASAP.
Fixed. However, this now means that if you have any active runes and use an Aura, all rune abilities will be wiped out and overwritten by the Aura's effects instead. I can't think of an immediate way around this, due to both Auras and Runes both using Power* as their bases.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

It looks like the fix to the XP scaling didn't make it in, the source script file was updated but not the compiled one.

Some problems with the yellow aura:
-The money/item gain seems to depend if the player is moving or not. If I'm standing still, I get nothing. As soon as I start moving, the money and items come pouring in. This would be okay if when I stand still, the items are spawned and I can get them when I start moving. But it seems as though items are only spawned when the player is moving, so for every second the player isn't moving while the aura is active, he's losing out on money/items.
-The money gain seems to increase based on rank (or level?). I think that may make it overpowered. By the time I'm lance corporal, I gain about 2500 with each use.

Also, the "Stat randomizer" option when set to Starting Only doesn't seem to do anything. If it's supposed to use up the 10 starting tokens and distribute them randomly across stats right when you start a new game, it doesn't seem like it does.

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how the Stat randomizer works but it does seem broken. The option needs to be set to off when you start a new game. Then you have to flip that option to Starting only and only then will it spend the 10 starting tokens. If the option is set to Starting only upon starting a new game, then it won't work even if you flip the option to off then back to Starting only again. When that happens, you can only make it work again by having to option set to off, then go through a map change then switch the option to Starting only. However, doing that will spend ALL the tokens you have earned while going through the map. So from what I can tell from all this, the Starting only option basically does the same thing as setting the option to Always and immediately switching it back off except it only works once per map and the option needs to be set to off upon entering a map or it won't work.
Kyle873 wrote:However, this now means that if you have any active runes and use an Aura, all rune abilities will be wiped out and overwritten by the Aura's effects instead. I can't think of an immediate way around this, due to both Auras and Runes both using Power* as their bases.
I think the least that should be accomplished is to have the aura only override a relevant rune, rather than have any aura nullify all runes.
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

wildweasel wrote:

the error i got was with svn build of zdoom. i also use svn build of gzdoom. i'll experiment some more to figure it out.
"an SVN build" isn't nearly specific enough - which one are you using? You can see the build number (r####) in the console.
well, latest one at the time of writing particular post. will have to look up the rev numbers, as i most likely keep a git-svn copy and that mangles up versioning a bit.
commander

Post by commander »

Kyle873 wrote:
commander wrote:Ok I've encountered a very weird thing. Get your aura activated while you have a corresponding power up (like Red aura while you're having strength rune) will disable that corresponding effect of the aura PERMANENTLY. Now my red aura only increase Fire speed. :( IDK if its a bug.
O_O Yikes, looking into it ASAP.
Fixed. However, this now means that if you have any active runes and use an Aura, all rune abilities will be wiped out and overwritten by the Aura's effects instead. I can't think of an immediate way around this, due to both Auras and Runes both using Power* as their bases.
Its ok. :D I don't want my aura disabled. :D
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

VicRattlehead wrote:It looks like the fix to the XP scaling didn't make it in, the source script file was updated but not the compiled one.

Some problems with the yellow aura:
-The money/item gain seems to depend if the player is moving or not. If I'm standing still, I get nothing. As soon as I start moving, the money and items come pouring in. This would be okay if when I stand still, the items are spawned and I can get them when I start moving. But it seems as though items are only spawned when the player is moving, so for every second the player isn't moving while the aura is active, he's losing out on money/items.
-The money gain seems to increase based on rank (or level?). I think that may make it overpowered. By the time I'm lance corporal, I gain about 2500 with each use.

Also, the "Stat randomizer" option when set to Starting Only doesn't seem to do anything. If it's supposed to use up the 10 starting tokens and distribute them randomly across stats right when you start a new game, it doesn't seem like it does.

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how the Stat randomizer works but it does seem broken. The option needs to be set to off when you start a new game. Then you have to flip that option to Starting only and only then will it spend the 10 starting tokens. If the option is set to Starting only upon starting a new game, then it won't work even if you flip the option to off then back to Starting only again. When that happens, you can only make it work again by having to option set to off, then go through a map change then switch the option to Starting only. However, doing that will spend ALL the tokens you have earned while going through the map. So from what I can tell from all this, the Starting only option basically does the same thing as setting the option to Always and immediately switching it back off except it only works once per map and the option needs to be set to off upon entering a map or it won't work.
Kyle873 wrote:However, this now means that if you have any active runes and use an Aura, all rune abilities will be wiped out and overwritten by the Aura's effects instead. I can't think of an immediate way around this, due to both Auras and Runes both using Power* as their bases.
I think the least that should be accomplished is to have the aura only override a relevant rune, rather than have any aura nullify all runes.
Whoops, my bad, I guess I forgot to recompile stats.acs after I made that change.

This behavior was initially intentional, I was originally testing to see if it would work, which it did, but I forgot to remove the movement checks when I finished the Aura stuff. (fun fact: the original behavior is a throwaway to Naferia's method of increasing XP and money with items)

Fixed this now, an oversight in the code would mean that it would never actually USE your stat tokens, even though it knew that the option was set properly.

Fixed this too so it'll behave how you described. I wasn't sure how much of a PITA it would be to do it, but not so much actually.

Update
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

yoshi314 wrote:
wildweasel wrote:

well, latest one at the time of writing particular post. will have to look up the rev numbers, as i most likely keep a git-svn copy and that mangles up versioning a bit.
I don't know why ZDoom is being such a pain about it. EasyKey is a skill property in MAPINFO, and I'm pretty sure it was added in the official 2.6.0 release or thereabouts, so why an SVN version is being weird about it is beyond me.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Kyle873 wrote:Fixed this too so it'll behave how you described. I wasn't sure how much of a PITA it would be to do it, but not so much actually.
Hold on, why do you want to take away the runes upon activating an aura in the first place? I apologize since while I asserted what I think should be done in my previous post, I'm only asking this now. Is it because they stacked before and that you don't want that to happen? I'm asking this so I know what kind of feedback to give.

Anyway, I looked at the code and I think that the behavior you have implemented could be improved.

Code: Select all

// Red Aura
			case 1:
				SpawnForced("RedAura", X, Y, Z + 32, 2300, 0);
				FadeRange(255, 0, 0, 0.1, 255, 0, 0, 0.0, 1.0);
				TakeInventory("PowerDamage", 1);
				TakeInventory("PowerDoubleFiringSpeed", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 1 && RedAuraLevel < 4)
					GiveInventory("RedAura1", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 2)
					GiveInventory("RedAura2", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 3)
					GiveInventory("RedAura3", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 4)
					GiveInventory("RedAura4", 1);
				break;
It seems like with the way you done it, even if, in this example, I activate a level 1 red aura which only increases damage, it still takes away a rage rune which increases the firing speed. Similar thing happens to other auras which cover multiple rune effects in higher levels like the orange and pink auras. It looks like it's simple to fix, just a matter of relocating the TakeInventory functions. However, it looks like you will have to do something a little different for the green aura since the resistance rune doesn't use a GiveInventory function so there's nothing to take away.

---

The Starting only option spends all tokens every time I enter a new map and as soon as you turn on the option for the first time in a map. I've tried a simple fix where I added a condition to make the random stat distribution only go through if the total amount of stat points are less than 10 (since the starting tokens are always 10) and I also removed the RandomizedStartTokens variable since it is no longer needed at that point and it seems to work alright.

Also, in the Utils script, the HasteRune is written as HAsteRune. It seems like it's only in a section made for cheats and I don't know if it will actually cause something to not work but if it does, might as well fix it.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

VicRattlehead wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:Fixed this too so it'll behave how you described. I wasn't sure how much of a PITA it would be to do it, but not so much actually.
Hold on, why do you want to take away the runes upon activating an aura in the first place? I apologize since while I asserted what I think should be done in my previous post, I'm only asking this now. Is it because they stacked before and that you don't want that to happen? I'm asking this so I know what kind of feedback to give.

Anyway, I looked at the code and I think that the behavior you have implemented could be improved.

Code: Select all

// Red Aura
			case 1:
				SpawnForced("RedAura", X, Y, Z + 32, 2300, 0);
				FadeRange(255, 0, 0, 0.1, 255, 0, 0, 0.0, 1.0);
				TakeInventory("PowerDamage", 1);
				TakeInventory("PowerDoubleFiringSpeed", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 1 && RedAuraLevel < 4)
					GiveInventory("RedAura1", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 2)
					GiveInventory("RedAura2", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 3)
					GiveInventory("RedAura3", 1);
				if (RedAuraLevel >= 4)
					GiveInventory("RedAura4", 1);
				break;
It seems like with the way you done it, even if, in this example, I activate a level 1 red aura which only increases damage, it still takes away a rage rune which increases the firing speed. Similar thing happens to other auras which cover multiple rune effects in higher levels like the orange and pink auras. It looks like it's simple to fix, just a matter of relocating the TakeInventory functions. However, it looks like you will have to do something a little different for the green aura since the resistance rune doesn't use a GiveInventory function so there's nothing to take away.

---

The Starting only option spends all tokens every time I enter a new map and as soon as you turn on the option for the first time in a map. I've tried a simple fix where I added a condition to make the random stat distribution only go through if the total amount of stat points are less than 10 (since the starting tokens are always 10) and I also removed the RandomizedStartTokens variable since it is no longer needed at that point and it seems to work alright.

Also, in the Utils script, the HasteRune is written as HAsteRune. It seems like it's only in a section made for cheats and I don't know if it will actually cause something to not work but if it does, might as well fix it.
Yup, you're right again, I really should stop coding at 3am in the morning. :P

It's on my list of things to fix, which is getting quite long :P

edit:
Ok, done. I've cleared out my list and fixed all the issues above. I don't necessarily take away the rune, just the Power* behind the rune because the powerups aren't actually stackable, and I couldn't figure out why having a rune and then using the Aura would nuke the Power* altogether, so I figured this was a decent workaround.

The code above was just there to quick test, I was being lazy and was planning to fix all that today.

The starting only option has now been fixed as well, simply forgot to make the var global.

Update
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

The 2x and 4x damage protection from the green aura don't work.

The damage dealt with red aura's 4x damage boost is no different from the 2x damage boost.

2x combo bonus from the white aura doesn't seem to do anything.

Upgrading an active aura properly takes it away, but the aura timer remains and stays stuck until an aura is activated again. This problem seems to be only superficial.

Shop prices: 1x Rocket = 50, 5x Rocket = 500?

There were two instances of the typo with the HasteRune in the Utils script, only one of them was fixed.

Rune drops count towards the item completion percentage in the intermission screen.

Stat cap/big stat cap tokens have the same pickup message as stat/big stat tokens.

Sometimes the ambient noise of the tokens remain after you pick them up.

Typo with the rank names -- it's supposed to be sergeant, not seargent.

Even when an accessory is unequipped, selling it will reduce the amount of total equipped accessories and the stat affected by that accessory.

A bunch of grey boxes temporarily appear on the screen when you attempt to equip more accessories past the limit.
Last edited by VicRattlehead on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
TTK_86

Post by TTK_86 »

I've been playing this for couple days now and i must say, this is great! You're working really hard to fix those bugs. This is the best RPG-mod for doom yet! Keep up the good work, sir =)
yoshi314

Post by yoshi314 »

i've rebuilt zdoom off svn, turns out i had some kind of svn checkout corruption that came out of nowhere.

the mod works now fine in zdoom.
commander

Post by commander »

The god aura is really unbalanced. I pumped up my red aura and the one below it (I can't remember but it gives me invulnerability and projectile reflection) then activate my lvl 2 god aura then I'm GOD. I can just running around with the chaingun and blow everything up with out dying. :(
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Sorry all, I haven't been coding much lately because I haven't been feeling well, I'll get to the issues when I stop feeling like utter shit. :/

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”